Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

British Classic Car Fan

34 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So, I've reached the age where it's time to invest in a classic British car. 
I've managed to find the car I love in the Netherlands, a LHD Hillman Imp!!
I'll be picking the car up once the lockdowns are over and it's safe to do so.
The only problem I have is an absolute lack of knowledge about mechanics. 
The car runs perfectly, but I'm sure from time to time it will need work and I'd like to be able to do this myself.
I've heard that the Imp is quite a simple car to work on and so a good one to start with.

However, I also thought there might be someone in Hamburg who has an affinity with the Imp, or other old British classics, who would be willing to take me under their wing.
I'm based in Wandsbek in Hamburg.
So, if anyone fancies sharing their knowledge, or can point me in the right direction, please let me know below.

Thanks in advance, Mat

The gear linkage on the imp was always an issue...   Pluss the wheel arches rusted like fück...

Carburation was a bastard to set up, but if left as standard, pulling the choke out and seating a wooden clothes peg over the cable so it never when fully home... the pulled like a bastard!

Dont forget, most Imps have a spare engine in the boot!!

Ha!  I remember having to pull and set the choke on the car I learned to drive on - a 1972 MGB.  Damn, I'd forgotten the choke even existed. :D

After 6 months, the choke cable housing wore out!!   ( Hence the Clothes peg)  usually it was pull out, turn 45° clockwise and it held...       

Silty...  You are also an old fucker!!!!   LOL

LOL No way.  I mean, I didn't learn to drive in 1972...

Never seen or even heard of the Imp, but man, those MGs, you see them occasionally in Germany, some are very well cared for, -  wire wheels, new ragtop, paint. Real show cars.  Crappy electronics though.  Die anywhere on you.  

Yes, I've seen the car. The previous owner is a mechanic who is retiring, so it has been very well looked after. No rust in all the usual places such as the arches, lower rear quarters, sills etc.
Now looking for someone I can get advice from and learn from in my native tongue. 
German is difficult enough without having to speak technically about cars.

Bollox!!!   of course you did!!    :lol::lol:

If I was to look for a car of my youth... Then an Austin ( British leyland ) 1100 or 1300... 

Such a comfortable ride, easy and cheap to look after....  ( Mine was mustard yellow!!)

1 minute ago, Matmochdre said:

Yes, I've seen the car. The previous owner is a mechanic who is retiring, so it has been very well looked after. No rust in all the usual places such as the arches, lower rear quarters, sills etc.
Now looking for someone I can get advice from and learn from in my native tongue. 

And you think you will find a welsh Hilman imp guru here? 
Dream on or keep drinking!!    :lol::lol:   

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Bollox!!!   of course you did!!    :lol::lol:

'76 actually, so not far off.  :D

About that Imp - you might try asking at this shop first, if only to ask if they know anyone who works on them.  

Oh, the Hillman Imp. The engine was also used as a pump on fire engines, don't you know.

Coventry Climax IIRC.

I changed the CV joints back then. (Even if they're not actually called that)

10 hours ago, Matmochdre said:

Maybe thats the method to improve your German!

Why pick an imp ?

There are plenty of nice looking classic UK cars around

Mind you you my mother used to drive us kids around in an IMP, and it was reliable enough, I think is was automatic 

Why not get an SD1 or something classic, like a Mini, suppose they are expensive by now

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Maybe thats the method to improve your German!

Having lived and worked here for 14 years my German is actually pretty good. However, technical German is a whole different ball game.

I struggle enough to understand mechanical terms in English, but as it says above I'm willing to learn.
Having to learn about the inner workings of a car and do so in German, however, adds a whole new level of complexity.

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Why pick an imp ?

There are plenty of nice looking classic UK cars around

Mind you you my mother used to drive us kids around in an IMP, and it was reliable enough, I think is was automatic 

Why not get an SD1 or something classic, like a Mini, suppose they are expensive by now

Purely a matter of taste. And for me, an Imp is a fantastic looking classic.
I've loved these cars since I was a kid.
Pretty advanced for its time too with the aluminium engine.

If you're just learning it for the first time, it really doesn't matter what language you learn it in. I knew that Dinkel was an ingredient in some bread varieties here before I ever knew what it was called in English, for example.

I hope you've already sorted out the facilities where you plan on working on it and the large set of tools you'll need to do so, along with a source of the spare parts you'll inevitably need. As well as a parking/storage space that's protected against the elements.

I'm not going to judge, but it seems buying a classic car that you know will need work without knowing the inner workings of a car beforehand is putting the cart before the horse.

11 hours ago, silty1 said:

'76 actually, so not far off.  :D

About that Imp - you might try asking at this shop first, if only to ask if they know anyone who works on them.  

Many thanks Silty for the helpful suggestion.
I didn't know about this garage and will get in touch with them.
Looks very promising.

1 minute ago, Matmochdre said:

Purely a matter of taste. And for me, an Imp is a fantastic looking classic.
I've loved these cars since I was a kid.
Pretty advanced for its time too with the aluminium engine.

Sorry, no offense, it was a tongue in cheek comment, I should never comment on the personal choices of other people

Guess  a lot of people would dis agree with my personal decisions.

Good luck with your project

1 minute ago, yesterday said:

Sorry, no offense, it was a tongue in cheek comment, I should never comment on the personal choices of other people

Guess  a lot of people would dis agree with my personal decisions.

Good luck with your project

Absolutely no offence taken. 👍🏻