Partner visiting in the next few months?

18 posts in this topic

My long-term significant other (5+ years) is a citizen of an EU country (not Germany), but is currently visiting some of her family in the US for the past few months. I would like for her to come visit me in Germany in the spring, but I'm having trouble understanding the current restrictions. 

I found a section on this page: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/travel-restrictions-border-control/travel-restriction-border-control-list.html;jsessionid=6E4FE4E82D6950A39D89E67F5BEC27D3.1_cid287

Which describes that if we provide proof of our long-term relationship, and I provide an invitation for her to visit, etc., she can enter. However, it also says " Unmarried partners from third countries that are not on the “positive” list” may enter Germany for short-term visits ." I would assume this means no one can enter for a partner visit from the US. However, I've heard of other people in similar situations and their significant other was able to enter (from other countries, but high-risk countries nonetheless). 

Is there a government agency I should perhaps reach out to for more information? 

I know of course any travel is somewhat risky, but we would prefer not to wait until the late summer or fall to see each other again.

I'm not sure how resident is defined - she stays with family currently in both US and Ireland (in-between apartments atm in Ireland). 

20 minutes ago, mallard said:

I would like for her to come visit me in Germany in the spring, but I'm having trouble understanding the current restrictions. 

The situation is in constant flux and it is not possible to plan that far ahead. 

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The situation is in constant flux and it is not possible to plan that far ahead. 

Fair enough, I suppose I will continue to monitor updates in the next couple months.

7 hours ago, mallard said:

My long-term significant other (5+ years) is a citizen of an EU country (not Germany), but is currently visiting some of her family in the US for the past few months. I would like for her to come visit me in Germany in the spring, but I'm having trouble understanding the current restrictions. 

I found a section on this page: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/travel-restrictions-border-control/travel-restriction-border-control-list.html;jsessionid=6E4FE4E82D6950A39D89E67F5BEC27D3.1_cid287

Which describes that if we provide proof of our long-term relationship, and I provide an invitation for her to visit, etc., she can enter. However, it also says " Unmarried partners from third countries that are not on the “positive” list” may enter Germany for short-term visits ." I would assume this means no one can enter for a partner visit from the US. However, I've heard of other people in similar situations and their significant other was able to enter (from other countries, but high-risk countries nonetheless). 

Is there a government agency I should perhaps reach out to for more information? 

I know of course any travel is somewhat risky, but we would prefer not to wait until the late summer or fall to see each other again.

The „Positive“ list is the list of countries from which unrestricted entry is allowed, as these countries do not currently have significant COVID outbreaks.

The US is not on the „Positive“ list, but neither is it currently on the „special risk area“ list.

So, at the moment your SO can visit you from the US.  Since she is an EU citizen, the rules regarding non-EU citizens DO NOT APPLY, even though she will travel from the US.

Keep in mind, though, that the COVID variants that drive the „special risk area“ list have been detected in the US - not yet in sufficient numbers to cause the US to be added to the „special risk area“ list, but that could change.  The practical result of being on the „special risk area“ list is that inbound flights from a country on that list are banned.

The US has the highest numbers of Covid cases and deaths in the world. They are on my special risk area list.

Haven't seen my son/family in over 2 yrs.

Just sayin.

7 hours ago, mallard said:

I'm not sure how resident is defined - she stays with family currently in both US and Ireland (in-between apartments atm in Ireland). 

Quite simple - Residency is where you are registered with council, healthcare, work/ pay taxes/ pay utilities, pay rent etc.

If she is flying under the radar in both countries- problems ahead.

And all this apart from Covid situation and changing restrictions.

In this narrow context, residency of the OP‘s partner is completely irrelevant.  OP‘s partner is an EU citizen; thus, she cannot be denied entry into the EU, no matter where in the world she resides.  Nor does she, as an EU citizen, have to follow any of the rules requiring proof of a relationship with the OP that are placed on third-country citizens living outside the EU.

In this context, what is important relative to possible travel disruptions is where the OP‘s partner is traveling from, not where she resides.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

The US has the highest numbers of Covid cases and deaths in the world. They are on my special risk area list.

Just sayin.

And that is a personal choice on your part.  Travel continues to be permitted.

Just sayin.

38 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

And that is a personal choice on your part.  Travel continues to be permitted.

Which is helping the virus spread and is one of the reasons the German government is considering drastically reducing flights into Germany; unfortunately too many special snowflakes don't care how their actions impact others. 

Bans that impede Transatlantic booty calls is a first world problem. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I wondered where Captain Obvious has been lately.

It‘s a rotating duty on TT.  Today was my turn.  Yours is coming up :D

57 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Which is helping the virus spread and is one of the reasons the German government is considering drastically reducing flights into Germany; unfortunately too many special snowflakes don't care how their actions impact others. 

There are rules in place.  If people follow them, then what exactly is your complaint?  Do you think your personal choices are what everyone else needs to abide by?

57 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Attempting to shame people who follow the rules because YOU don‘t agree with the rules is a jerky thing to do.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

People have to obey the rules, that's clear

What they do after that is not really your business

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Quite simple - Residency is where you are registered with council, healthcare, work/ pay taxes/ pay utilities, pay rent etc.

If she is flying under the radar in both countries- problems ahead.

And all this apart from Covid situation and changing restrictions.

She's not flying under the radar in either country, she has arrangements for most of the above list in both. I was simply asking Germany's legal definition of residency, which it seems it not relevant to my original question's answer anyway.

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

The „Positive“ list is the list of countries from which unrestricted entry is allowed, as these countries do not currently have significant COVID outbreaks.

The US is not on the „Positive“ list, but neither is it currently on the „special risk area“ list.

So, at the moment your SO can visit you from the US.  Since she is an EU citizen, the rules regarding non-EU citizens DO NOT APPLY, even though she will travel from the US.

Keep in mind, though, that the COVID variants that drive the „special risk area“ list have been detected in the US - not yet in sufficient numbers to cause the US to be added to the „special risk area“ list, but that could change.  The practical result of being on the „special risk area“ list is that inbound flights from a country on that list are banned.

Perfect, thanks very much for the information!

To the others - yes, I know traveling is risky not just for oneself but spread to others. As Space Cowboy said, I came here hoping to follow the rules that are in place, and ensure that whatever we decide abides by those rules. We are and will continue discussing ways to minimize the risk, including delaying the travel until it is safe to do so. I simply came here asking for clarity on the restrictions, not a judgment call on the decision of travel itself. Thanks to those who provided this information.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just sayin.

YTD USA Cases = 25,705,299  EU Cases = 18,788,654

USA Deaths = 429,511      EU Deaths = 448,361

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Oftentimes people compare the US to a "country" like Italy and technically, they are right because they are both countries, but the comparison is way out of balance.  While there is no exact match, the EU is probably close given population mix, urban/rural, etc. and is, I believe, a better comparative.  Consistently, you are more likely to get infected in the US, but once infected, you are more likely to die in the EU.

19 hours ago, catjones said:

YTD USA Cases = 25,705,299  EU Cases = 18,788,654

USA Deaths = 429,511      EU Deaths = 448,361

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Oftentimes people compare the US to a "country" like Italy and technically, they are right because they are both countries, but the comparison is way out of balance.  While there is no exact match, the EU is probably close given population mix, urban/rural, etc. and is, I believe, a better comparative.  Consistently, you are more likely to get infected in the US, but once infected, you are more likely to die in the EU.

The results for this week YTD are quite startling.  The EU has given out 12,313,994 vaccines and the US has given out 31,123,299 or two and a half times the number of vaccines as the EU.