Feuerwehr Fine/Debt received by my employer

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just found out today that a fine or a DEBT! has been issued to my name and my employer has received a letter about it, amounting to 680EUR from the fire department. I do not know why I am fined, I never started any fire and never got in any trouble with the fire department. I have moved a lot in the last two year in Germany so maybe I missed the so called reminders of any unknown payment I was being billed by the Feuerwher. My problem is I do not speak german, and my employer is not being very helpful. How do I even find out what this debt is related to? To whom do I owe this amount and why? What did I do? My employer is not sharing the letter with and is saying they will deduct the amount from my salary. This is a big amount and is stressing me out, please help! I have public health insurance, I did call an ambulance in 2018 that took me to the hospital but I am not sure I got any letter to pay for any bill apart from 10 euros. I live in a student dorm and there was a smoke alarm 3 months ago that kept ringing for 1 hour but I did not cause any fire neither do I know why it was triggered. I did not receive ANY such letters for any such bill and now my employer has received a debt letter! This is very embarrassing.

If you could get a copy of that letter, then you would know who to contact.

Not sure if you can do much about it now that your debt is being taken directly from your income, but you at least have the right to know why!

Do you have any German-speaking friends who can assist you?

Can't understand why your employer can withhold your salary without informing you in writing.

Do you have a workers council / Betriebsrat / Personalrat at your place of work?

They may be able to help you.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Can't understand why your employer can withhold your salary without informing you in writing.

I assume his salary is beeing seized (Lohnpfändung). The employer does not need to inform him, but he should have received a letter from the courts or from the one you is seizing his salary because of a dept.

OP, if you move often do you make sure you receive all your important letter? Do you forward your mail?