Donating new/old clothes

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am moving out of Mannheim and would like to donate my new/old clothes. I contacted a few places but because of the pandemic they are closed to pick-up or me dropping off the stuff there. 

Are there any suggestions where I can donate these clothes? 

Thank you!

Best regards..

Do you have any AWB containers near you? I'm not sure if they are morally all right or not.

I throw mine in any Altkleider bin. I'm not attached to what happens to them after that. I someone makes a few bucks, so what? The important thing is that they will be used again and not go into some landfill. 

29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm not attached to what happens to them after that.

Some of those bins are from companies who for example send the stuff to places where it disrupts the local clothing market in a bad way, destroying local companies and putting people out of work. Of course the distribution and market in the old clothes is a whole new industry, but that is not always as good.

Some sort out the good stuff and landfill the rest, which is also a bit depressing.

Some sort the stuff with useful markets in mind and have a place for the actual tat to go, where it can be made into those protective blankets used to cover things during construction etc. In our old house we had containers from just such a company, but we have never found anything around here, so the pile in the cellar gets bigger.

It's like buying fair trade, I suppose, except in the other direction.

Well said, Kip. It's not as simple as some people think.

Apparently there are three lables to look for which guarantee that the association putting up the collection box is reputable. 

I came accross the same info on several pages, but the link below had the table which was easy to read and copy. 

Another suggestion is to take a look at the box itself. There should be an address and phone number at least. If it has only a phone number, it sometimes is a fake one. 

Some of the not so reputable ones apparently just sell the clothes and pocket the profit. 

Altkleidercontainer: Diese drei Sammelstellen sind seriös (t-online.de)

Diese drei Sammelstellen sind seriös

Als seriös und sicher stuft die Verbraucherzentrale Sammlungen mit einem der folgenden drei Siegel ein:

Siegel/Label Name Leitlinien
index.jpg Label von FairWertung FairWertung ist ein Dachverband von rund 130 gemeinnützigen Organisationen. Diese haben sich dazu verpflichtet, sozial- und umweltverträgliche Standards einzuhalten. Dazu zählt beispielsweise, dass die Organisation gemeinnützig ist und mit ihrer Arbeit keine eigenwirtschaftlichen Ziele verfolgt, dass Erträge aus dem Verkauf unmittelbar und mittelbar sozialen, diakonischen oder karitativen Zwecken zugeführt werden und dass wahrheitsgemäße Angaben über Zweck und Verwendung der Kleidersammlung gemacht werden.

index.jpg

Siegel des Deutschen Zentralinstituts für soziale Fragen (DZI) Das DZI-Spenden-Siegel belegt, dass eine Organisation mit den ihr anvertrauten Geldern sorgfältig und verantwortungsvoll umgeht. Organisationen, die dieses Siegel tragen, haben sich dazu verpflichtet, transparent zu arbeiten, sparsam zu wirtschaften und sachlich und wahrhaftig zu informieren. Es gibt entsprechende Kontroll- und Aufsichtsstrukturen.
index.jpg bvse-Qualitätssiegel Alttextilsammlung vom Bundes­verband Sekundär­rohstoffe und Entsorgung Die Mitgliedsunternehmen haben sich dazu verpflichtet, für Transparenz bei der Sammlung, nachvollziehbare Verwertungswege und den Schutz der Umwelt zu sorgen. Die abgegebenen Kleidungsstücke werden so weit wie möglich als Second-Hand-Kleidung wiederverwendet. Kleidung, die nicht mehr tragbar ist, wird den Angaben zufolge hochwertig verwertet. Unternehmen, die das Siegel tragen, werden regelmäßig von einem externen und unabhängigen Sachverständigen überprüft.

From the link -

But even if the symbol of the local waste authority can be found on the container, you can throw your clothes in with a clear conscience.

Are those labels good for the whole of Germany?