Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cyclists are 3rd class in Germany

51 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, yourkeau said:

It's a law, it has nothing to do with what adults insist.

I cycle without a helmet. It promotes false sense of security and reckless cycling. As an adult I pay attention to the road, and do not get myself into situation when "helmet saved my life". This situation should never happen in the first place.

But the greatest harm helmets do they discourage cycling making it "dangerous sports". Less cyclists on the road = bad for everyone else.

There is a reason why no helmets are in Denmark and the Netherlands.

I'm afraid I only have Wikipedia as a source but it says no helmet restrictions in Germany:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country

(Sorry, should have read the remainder of the thread)

2 hours ago, alderhill said:

Since 2011, children under 12 are supposed to wear helmets if they are in a bike seat or in a bike trailer. 

There is no 'suppose to' or 'law' that children under the age of 12 must wear a helmet in Germany, I repeat in Germany, it doesn't matter in a bicycle seat, trailer or even strapped to a Rocket, there is no law although with the latter don't be surprised if the Jugendamt come knocking at your door.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

There is no 'suppose to' or 'law' that children under the age of 12 must wear a helmet in Germany, I repeat in Germany, it doesn't matter in a bicycle seat, trailer or even strapped to a Rocket, there is no law although with the latter don't be surprised if the Jugendamt come knocking at your door.

I double checked and the legal website I was reading was Austrian. -_-

For 'S-Pedelecs' i.e. that go over 45km/h, a helmet and minimum age 16 is then required. If the "bike" is open and has 3 or more wheels (whatever that looks like) and can go over 20km/h, a helmet would also be required. https://dejure.org/gesetze/StVO/21a.html

I can say anyway that at my son's Krippe, every kid that comes by bike is wearing a helmet. 

5 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Since when is it a Law?   

There is no legal requirment for Children or Adults to wear Helmets in Deutschland.

Apologies, you are correct. The law is about cycling on the sidewalk, not helmet. I mixed this in my head without checking. 

StVO §21a regulates this. The helmet is only required on motor bike (AFAIK S-Pedelec is legally a motorbike, not a bicycle, while E-Bike with Hilfsmotor is a bicycle). 

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stvo_2013/

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

Please don't be offended but you have just earnt yourself the dumbest post of the day trophy. May I suggest you read the thread before you post.

6012ae1de3547_dumbestpostawardPMD.jpg.4e

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

:lol: Yes, it was really 'dumb' wasn't it!!

Silly me. Thank you for pointing out the 'dumbness' of it. And you even created a lovely little picture. Thank you.

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

My wife and I both have helmets, but we usually don't wear them unless it's dark out and weather conditions are slippery or low vis, etc. The main reason we don't wear them is because it's another bulky thing I have to carry around if I'm going shopping or running errands

Interesting. I always wear a helmet when cycling. If I simply go shopping I keep wearing it inside the store. It doesn't bother me, in fact I don't even notice it. 

I don't "have to carry it around", it just stays on the head.

On 1/26/2021, 7:40:38, yourkeau said:

I just can't here in the Middle East: it's about 100 Höhenmeter and 7 km uphill battle

Typing mistake? 100m elevation gain on a 7km distance is a very gentle climb.

15 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Interesting. I always wear a helmet when cycling. If I simply go shopping I keep wearing it inside the store. It doesn't bother me, in fact I don't even notice it. 

I don't "have to carry it around", it just stays on the head.

I think you're missing the point.

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

The main reason we don't wear them is because it's another bulky thing I have to carry around if I'm going shopping

6012ce34bdf8b_wheelbarrowhelmet.jpg.d0ba

A new cycling strategy has been announced, millions of €uros are to be invested, and seventeen cycling bridges are planned, seventeen I heard on the radio. Why, that is more than one bridge per Bundesland! %)