Where to buy FFP2 facemasks in Berlin?

104 posts in this topic

so, the strap broke off mine after one day.

Do I even dare to use the rest of them?  Now after under an hour use I have one mask with a fucking hole in the side of it.  I can fix it, but that bothers me.

Anyone else had a mask just pop off their face for no reason?  Maybe it was just bad luck?  I'm feeling pretty verarscht at the moment.

They are way too tight for Himself but hasn't had a strap break yet. They just kill his ears.

Hopefully, it was just a lemon.

The dreaded Mask fitting  for hospital staff! Several types/shapes, and then sprayed with water to see what filtered through the mask!

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They are way too tight for Himself but hasn't had a strap break yet. They just kill his ears.

Maybe he should change to the type of mask that has the elastic go round the back of his head instead, here are 25 Linden partner masks for 49.99€ (10% off if you get the Rossmann app): https://www.rossmann.de/de/gesundheit-25er-set-ffp2-atemschutzmaske-lp2-kopfband/p/4052926060701

600c706200446_ProductImage-01smaller.jpg

I have the "normal" ear loop Lindenpartner ones (they don't smell at all), but I wouldn't recommend them to people with a big head, that elastic is a bit short: https://www.rossmann.de/de/gesundheit-25er-set-ffp2-atemschutzmaske-lp1/p/4052926060602

They are "Made in Germany", with a solidly affixed elastic, I'm happy with them.

Also available in a pack of 2 (well, once they are available again):

5 hours ago, bauman said:

I heard a trick that surgeons use - and it kind of helps for me. Put the mask on first and bring it up toward the eyes as close as is comfortable. Then put the glasses on so they rest down on the mask. Sometimes that means the glasses are pushed out a bit further than they normally are but it often reduces the fog. I'm myopic, but hopefully this makes things a bit better for reading glasses as well.

That's exactly what I used to do in the hospital!  Recommended. :)

16 minutes ago, Metall said:

That's exactly what I used to do in the hospital!  Recommended. :)

Other trick- use a strip of micropore to secure mask to nose.   Seen often in the operating theatres!

An article in our local paper suggested wearing a cloth mask over the FFP2 mask to help hold it in place.  On the point about the FFP2 being airtight, it should be as airtight as possible around the outside so that you are breathing in and out through the filter.  Otherwise, you are not getting the protection, or offering others the protection, that the mask is designed for.  

34 minutes ago, sluzup said:

On the point about the FFP2 being airtight, it should be as airtight as possible around the outside so that you are breathing in and out through the filter.  Otherwise, you are not getting the protection, or offering others the protection, that the mask is designed for.  

Just to correct a possible misconception: I don't think that people with glasses wear their masks any looser than people without glasses. It's more the case that glasses give a visible indication (i.e. fog) of the physical limitations of half-face masks. Perhaps the elastic behind the head suggested by PandaMunich would apply more pressure, but half-face masks can't follow the contours of our differently shaped heads. A little air is always going to escape around the edges during exhalation - glasses or not.

But the point that sluzup makes here is a good one: as airtight as possible...

23 hours ago, bauman said:

AFAIK breathing in this much CO2 would just make you feel a bit more relaxed - like breathing into a paper bag to control an anxiety attack. Except I think an FFP2 mask would allow enough O2 back in that you wouldn't fall asleep.

That said, I've noticed that climbing stairs to the 5th floor in a mask is not fun.

Well, sure, if you do it one time it's ok. But if you breath in this mask continuously, this is another story.

Who used such masks until now? People working with chemicals such as painters. Of course, breathing CO2 is better than breathing the paint, but lung diseases are not uncommon among people who practice these professions.

Surgical masks are effective against aerosols and also proven to safe for own lungs.

30 minutes of testing of the surgical mask they did. This is the study on surgical masks, not N95 masks.

Well, I think you will not find a study on long term effect of N95 mask because this this the first time in history when all groups of population are legally mandated to wear one. Consequences can be shown many years afterwards.

I solved the problem for me: I bought  a car, so I can breath freely on the way to and from work, as well as when moving around the town (in Israel masks are mandatory everywhere, indoors and outdoors, also in a car if there is a passenger from different household). Sorry, Greta.

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Surgical masks are effective against aerosols

Just not very effective though.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Just not very effective though.

This is a vague statement without any evidence.

BTW, surgical masks are being used not only during surgeries, but also during drug testing, when working both with human volunteer and test animals.

Coronavirus vaccine was also developed and tested by people using surgical masks.

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Coronavirus vaccine was also developed and tested by people using surgical masks.

Bit different to working in a controlled environment than wandering around a shop,sitting on a bus etc etc.

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

This is a vague statement without any evidence.

BTW, surgical masks are being used not only during surgeries, but also during drug testing, when working both with human volunteer and test animals.

You don´t need evidence to recognize that masks which can´t be fitted tightly aren´t as safe as those that can. Just as you don´t need evidence to understand that fencing your garden in order to prevent your animals to run away won´t be very effective if you don´t close the gate.

8 hours ago, jeba said:

You don´t need evidence to recognize that masks which can´t be fitted tightly aren´t as safe as those that can. Just as you don´t need evidence to understand that fencing your garden in order to prevent your animals to run away won´t be very effective if you don´t close the gate.

Wow, I see you did not wear the mask properly. 

Skip the first 30 seconds:

Yes, it is advantage of N95 mask that it is more difficult to wear it incorrectly. But it is not that difficult. 

50 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Wow, I see you did not wear the mask properly. 

Skip the first 30 seconds:

Yes, it is advantage of N95 mask that it is more difficult to wear it incorrectly. But it is not that difficult. 

From that clip: "...make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask...". That´s asking for the impossible.

Glasses fog up because hot, moist, exhaled air escapes via the TOP of the mask and onto your glasses. The way to keep this from happening is to have a strong wire in the mask that can be formed perfectly to the shape of your nose and face so that this air is forced to exit the mask area from the bottom, sides or preferably, just the mask material.

Exactly. Glasses are a good test if the mask is worn correctly. 

Masks and social distance, and handwashing protect from the virus, not the mask alone. 

4 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Glasses fog up because hot, moist, exhaled air escapes via the TOP of the mask and onto your glasses. The way to keep this from happening is to have a strong wire in the mask that can be formed perfectly to the shape of your nose and face so that this air is forced to exit the mask area from the bottom, sides or preferably, just the mask material.

Thanks for the explanation, however anyone who wears glasses knows that a perfect, airtight fit is impossible - wire or not.

Fog shows the limitations of a half-face mask, that's all.

The only 'perfect' fit I've experienced is with an industrial respirator made of rubber, with thick restraining straps.

Which I have, once or twice, thought of wearing to Lidl.