Where to buy FFP2 facemasks in Berlin?

104 posts in this topic

today was the first day I wore an FFP2 mask for longer than a couple of minutes.

I wasn't the biggest fan of my cloth mask, but it was not the end of the world.

Wearing an FFP2 mask, however, IS the end of the world.  Not terribly pleasant.  Breathing is noticeably more difficult.  It's moist under there.  The fucking thing puffs in and out every two seconds.  I feel like a pillock.  Mah freedumbs.  Someone point me in the direction of the 5G/Lizard/Q/Bill Gates nutters, I think I'm ready to defect.*

*joke

29 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

My local DM sells a pack with 2 FFP2 masks for €5,95. No larger quantities, so I prefer Rossmann for in-store purchases.

The website has the ones with 5 inside, but it’s 12.99€ instead of 9.99€ like Rossmann

20 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Wearing an FFP2 mask, however, IS the end of the world.  Not terribly pleasant.

I wore my FFP2 shopping for the first time today. Is a bit more difficult to breathe, but imagine having to do an 8 hour shift on a work site in one!

Discomfort was offset by feeling a bit more secure in a crowded store and by the strange fact that my glasses didn't fog up as much.

Mine a twenty-pack  from Real.de for €22. Manufactured in Anhui Province in China. Cute little certificate included in the pack giving all the relevant details like production date and batch, shelf life and something called "Executive Standard" - which is EN149:2001+A1:2009, for those in the know.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Wearing an FFP2 mask, however, IS the end of the world.  Not terribly pleasant.  Breathing is noticeably more difficult.  It's moist under there.  The fucking thing puffs in and out every two seconds.  I feel like a pillock.  Mah freedumbs.  Someone point me in the direction of the 5G/Lizard/Q/Bill Gates nutters, I think I'm ready to defect.*

Well, it FFP2 mask is the most German way to fight the virus, and Bavaria is known for its Germanness of all Germany.

You have to fight the virus which destroys your lungs. You wear a mask which forces you to breath CO2 and destroy your lungs, so that you have 0 chance to get the virus which destroys your lungs.

Result: your lungs are Kaputt, but not due to COVID-19.

Willkommen in Deutschland!

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Wearing an FFP2 mask, however, IS the end of the world.  Not terribly pleasant.  Breathing is noticeably more difficult.  It's moist under there. 

I will then stick to acceptable simple medical mask. Its not that terrible compared to clothemask. 

Just a heads up. Himself ordered some FFP2 masks from Amazon. They stink so bad that he is sending them back.

The box they come in says:

FFP2 NR

Particle Filtering Half Mask

Then the word - Tangwei

The ones I ordered from Amazon have "Ansuk", "FFP"", and a CE number on them, and don't smell at all. Can share the seller via PM.

18 hours ago, bauman said:

Discomfort was offset by feeling a bit more secure in a crowded store and by the strange fact that my glasses didn't fog up as much.

They shouldn´t fog up at all - at least not from the air you exhaled. If they do, they aren´t fitting tight enough.

18 hours ago, yourkeau said:

You wear a mask which forces you to breath CO2 and destroy your lungs,

Where did you get that utter nonsense from?

46 minutes ago, jeba said:

They shouldn´t fog up at all - at least not from the air you exhaled. If they do, they aren´t fitting tight enough.

You`re not suggesting an FFP2 mask is airtight are you ?

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just a heads up. Himself ordered some FFP2 masks from Amazon. They stink so bad that he is sending them back.

Hmm, some EU governments rejected certain batches from China last year since they didn't meet the quality requirements, so perhaps they got on the private market instead. Wouldn't surprise me with all these online cowboys.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

You`re not suggesting an FFP2 mask is airtight are you ?

It certainly isn’t for me, and it’s making my life in the grocery store completely miserable because I’m farsighted and can’t read with the constant fogging up or without the glasses.  Maybe I need to put it on top of another mask.  😏

3 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

It certainly isn’t for me, and it’s making my life in the grocery store completely miserable because I’m farsighted and can’t read with the constant fogging up nor without the glasses.  Maybe I need to put it on top of another mask.  😏

I heard a trick that surgeons use - and it kind of helps for me. Put the mask on first and bring it up toward the eyes as close as is comfortable. Then put the glasses on so they rest down on the mask. Sometimes that means the glasses are pushed out a bit further than they normally are but it often reduces the fog. I'm myopic, but hopefully this makes things a bit better for reading glasses as well.

20 hours ago, yourkeau said:

You wear a mask which forces you to breath CO2 and destroy your lungs

AFAIK breathing in this much CO2 would just make you feel a bit more relaxed - like breathing into a paper bag to control an anxiety attack. Except I think an FFP2 mask would allow enough O2 back in that you wouldn't fall asleep.

That said, I've noticed that climbing stairs to the 5th floor in a mask is not fun.

Go to an optician, if they're open, and ask for an Antibeschlagtuch. Even better, go online and order one.  I bought one called Foogy, I clean my glasses with it in the morning and they don't fog up. It can last for almost 2 days - brilliant things that all opticians seem to know about, but not people who wear glasses!

Can you re-use FFP2 Masks?

Interesting read

I am not sure of re-use of masks and cleaning them ? any ideasa

I mean I have heard you can use them for 8 hours and some say you can  heat clean them, others say a new one daily 

Anybody got any information on what the Government recommends and a link

42 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

It certainly isn’t for me, and it’s making my life in the grocery store completely miserable because I’m farsighted and can’t read with the constant fogging up or without the glasses.  Maybe I need to put it on top of another mask.  😏

If your glasses are getting foggy from your exhalation air that is proof that there is air escaping the filter. Which is seriously impacting the efficacy of your mask.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

I am not sure of re-use of masks and cleaning them ? any ideasa

See the posts above i.e. https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/389595-where-to-buy-ffp2-facemasks-in-berlin/?do=findComment&comment=3864715

DoubleDTown also posted a good link to a PDF about mask care: https://www.fh-muenster.de/gesundheit/images/forschung/ffp2/01_ffp2_info11012021_doppelseiten.pdf

which I translated to English and uploaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U7Eh24lvVf8ggaDNg1G7v3M52ZT820pF/view?usp=sharing

The method I chose from the PDF was to hammer 7 nails into my foyer wall, put a mask on each for each day of the week and use them in rotation.

By the time Sunday's mask comes back up after a week hanging loose, all virus bugs have died. PDF written by German research team recommends ditching masks after 5 cycles.

So, 5 weeks use from 7 masks.

Only other interesting method I saw was to seal the mask in a plastic bag and immersing in boiling water for 10 minutes. But don't try washing un-bagged or heating in oven.