Where to buy FFP2 facemasks in Berlin?

104 posts in this topic

Hoping this is still on-topic, I thought it useful to give direct links to the info about re-using FFP2 masks.

39 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

For further reference, I got my info from this site: https://smartairfilters.com/learn/cat/masks/

Assuming the site's advice is reliable, it shows that ultra-violet light provides the possibility of reusing FFP2 masks:

"The data showed almost no harm to performance. For most masks and most dosages, the degradation in particle capture was less than 1%.  So UV light disinfects N95 masks with less than a 2% harm to filtration effectiveness, allowing them to be re-used quickly."
https://smartairfilters.com/learn/smart-air-knowledge-base/uv-light-disinfects-masks/

The site also lists other cleaning options:
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/disinfect-clean-n95-mask-virus-coronavirus/

---------

The Berliner Zeitung link provided by snowingagain gives 2 useful methods of sterilising FFP2 masks with heat:

"Researchers at the Münster School of Health have found in studies that "Sars-CoV-2 on and in FFP2 masks remains infectious at 70 degrees Celsius after more than an hour. Only at 80 degrees Celsius dry heat is no infectious coronavirus detectable after 60 minutes." The scientists provide the following tip: First let the mask air-dry for a day. Then preheat your oven to 80 degrees Celsius (top and bottom heating), place the FFP2 mask on baking paper and then place it in the oven for 60 minutes. "The mask should only be reprocessed five times in this way and then disposed of in household waste," the researchers write."

"Sibylle Anderl, host of the FAZ newspaper's science podcast, shared a method of home sterilisation of FFP2 masks by steam. She refers to a study published last April in the Journal of Medical Virology. For their experiment, scientists packed the masks in airtight plastic bags or a stainless steel box and placed them in boiling water for about five minutes. This keeps the respirators dry, exposed to the heat but not damaged by it. Using this method, the masks can be reused for about seven to ten days - as long as they are not otherwise damaged and are cleaned regularly, the article says."

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/en/can-you-re-use-ffp2-masks-li.133542

3 hours ago, vivanco said:

So for how long can a ffp2 mask could be  wore? Is it also a single use as a blue colored surgical mask? Any info on the usage?. 

FH Münster, supported by Bundesinstitut fuer Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte did actual research on this and put out info on January 11, 2021.  Brochure here:

https://www.fh-muenster.de/gesundheit/images/forschung/ffp2/01_ffp2_info11012021_doppelseiten.pdf

3 hours ago, vivanco said:

So for how long can a ffp2 mask could be  wore? Is it also a single use as a blue colored surgical mask? Any info on the usage?. 

FH Münster, supported by Bundesinstitut fuer Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte did actual research on this and put out info on January 11, 2021.  Brochure here:

https://www.fh-muenster.de/gesundheit/images/forschung/ffp2/01_ffp2_info11012021_doppelseiten.pdf

@El Jeffo in case you missed this:D

Just to bring this upto date and this relates only to Berlin, here's the latest regarding Maskenpflicht;

Ein weiterer Hauptpunkt ist die verschärfte Maskenpflicht. Für die Umsetzung der neuen Regeln muss die Infektionsschutzverordnung des Landes aktualisiert werden. Die neue Fassung soll am Samstag veröffentlicht werden und danach in Kraft treten, so Müller.

Basically it will take until Saturday to update the rules on Infection and should come into force from then on. 

Source

32 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

@El Jeffo in case you missed this:D

Just to bring this upto date and this relates only to Berlin, here's the latest regarding Maskenpflicht;

Basically it will take until Saturday to update the rules on Infection and should come into force from then on. 

Source

Thanks. Having been here 30 years and change, I'd have been very surprised if Berlin's bureaucracy managed to do anything in a day. 

20 hours ago, cvm said:

I managed to buy a couple at DM this morning. They were limiting purchases to one packet per person and there were slightly frantic scenes, with people trying to buy entire boxes full of masks shouting at the cashier. To those of you who still have to work with the public, please remember, plenty of other people are really glad you're still doing your jobs and we appreciate the effort you're putting in, even if it doesn't always get said out loud.

In Munich, I didn't hear about such shouting. At Rossmann the cashier kept the masks under her desk: one package per person.

I was at Rossmann this morning and there was only one pack left and there was a sign saying one pack per customer. You can order them online at DM as well

Most of these online suppliers are now showing Week 2 in February as the soonest delivery date...

11 minutes ago, bauman said:

The brochure on mask care and reusability that DoubleDTown linked to above gives detailed information on how the virus lives and dies on masks.

For anyone who's interested, I've put an English version of the PDF on GDrive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U7Eh24lvVf8ggaDNg1G7v3M52ZT820pF/view?usp=sharing

A virus is just a molecule. It doesn't live and so it can't die.

You can use heat or UV light to deactivate it.

On 20/01/2021, 11:54:32, fraufruit said:

Why suffice when one can be safer?

That´s exactly my thinking and the reason why I´m wearing FFP3 masks rather than FFP2.

maybe I'm just being lazy (OK, definitely), but... there should really only be corona virus particles on your mask if you share space with an infected, unmasked person for a considerable amount of time, right?  So, if you go shopping or ride the train and everyone is wearing them (even if they are wearing them incorrectly) there should be slim to no risk of corona actually floating around in the air and sticking to your mask... right?  For sure I'm telling myself this so I don't have to bastel up some nutty seven-mask system or have to turn on the oven every day.  But it does make some amount of sense, or?  If we're all wearing them, then *their* germs shouldn't get on *my* mask, right? :unsure:

1 hour ago, jeba said:

That´s exactly my thinking and the reason why I´m wearing FFP3 masks rather than FFP2.

Himself was shopping online for ffp2 masks and thought, why not upgrade to ffp3. Here's why - all the ones he found had vents in them. Masks with vents are forbidden in a lot of places like on certain airlines.

Face coverings with valves or vents — largely worn in pre-pandemic times by construction workers — do little to protect a person infected with COVID-19 from passing it to others, the CDC said in a new guide to wearing masks.

“Masks with one-way valves or vents allow air to be exhaled through a hole in the material, which can result in expelled respiratory droplets that can reach others,” the CDC said in an update, posted last week.

“Therefore, CDC does not recommend using masks for source control if they have an exhalation valve or vent.”

Did you find some without vents?

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

So, if you go shopping or ride the train and everyone is wearing them (even if they are wearing them incorrectly) there should be slim to no risk of corona actually floating around in the air and sticking to your mask... right?

Train? Probably not, given the reduced number of passengers on most lines.

Shopping at Lidl in Wedding's Badstraße during peak hour? I wouldn't put money on it, given the long queues and dangling masks.

I'm planning a simple system: 7 masks, one per day in rotation - which gets about two months use from a ten-pack. No ovens - just hanging on the wall in a flying-duck formation.

And a virus is an organism, not a molecule. Of course they're alive - that's how they multiply and mutate. They can also die - dead viruses are what many vaccines are made of. Others are made of viruses weakened to the point they can't multiply in the body - just generate an immune response.

One might use the word 'deactivation' to mean the same as 'death', but I know that some micro-organisms can be deactivated by freezing and re-activated by thawing. As far as I know, there's no re-activation after death. <_<

The difference with the COVID-19 mRNA vaccine is that it contains an instructional script, rather than any form of the actual COVID virus. The script makes the cells in the arm around the injection site create something resembling the spike protein - which is the distinguishing feature of the real COVID virus. The immune system sees/reads the 'fake' protein spike and creates antibodies to protect against the real one.

53 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Masks with vents are forbidden in a lot of places like on certain airlines.

We bought Livinguard https://livinguard.com/?lang=de masks back in October and only the ones without the valve are now certified for use within the current laws (except Bavaria, they are still waiting/arguing that one). That's even though the valves can be closed.

We bought the valveless ones anyway for the exact reason the CDC are now saying - that we don't want to accidentally spit our covid over people if we have it and are symptomless.

I would recommend the ones we have - they are comfortable, easy care and last ages - but lots of TTers live in Bavaria and so they are going to be of limited use.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Himself was shopping online for ffp2 masks and thought, why not upgrade to ffp3. Here's why - all the ones he found had vents in them. Masks with vents are forbidden in a lot of places like on certain airlines.

Did you find some without vents?

https://www.medizinfuchs.de/Atemschutzmaske%2B3M%2B1863%252B%2Bohne%2BVentil%2BAura%2BFFP3.html?sac=1

I prefer those with a valve though. Much more convenient to wear. But I´m in Cyprus, where there is no requirement for specific masks.

9 hours ago, bauman said:

Of course they're alive - that's how they multiply and mutate

Seems you were asleep during biology classes.

On 1/20/2021, 9:37:48, El Jeffo said:

Apparently all pharmacies have them, but they're obviously the most expensive option. According to this Morgenpost article, "some" drug store chains have them, too.

I ordered a 20-pack yesterday from real.de - €21.99 with free shipping. I paid attention to "Versand aus Deutschland".

My local real has had them in store for a few weeks

My local DM sells a pack with 2 FFP2 masks for €5,95. No larger quantities, so I prefer Rossmann for in-store purchases.