Where to buy FFP2 facemasks in Berlin?

104 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself just saw on TV that it has been decided that both FFP2 and OP masks will be accepted on public transport and in shops. Only the cloth masks are not allowed. That is for the whole of Germany.

Really! news doesn't travel very fast in your corner of Germany, have you considered getting a couple of carrier pigeons?:ph34r:

Yes, vronchen and I just want it clear that if you cannot find FFP2 masks, you are not screwed. You can wear single-use surgical masks, too. It's not a discussion of which is better. Obviously, FFP2 masks filter more. If you want to wear those, go for it. It is just not required.

I ordered my FFP2 masks the day after they made them mandatory in Bavaria and received them yesterday.  20 for €29,99.  They weren't the cheapest ones available, but made in Germany, highly rated and the metal nose thingy is sewn into the fabric.  When properly worn it fits snug and puffs in and out when I breathe.  It's lighter than I expected but breathing is considerably more restricted than I'd thought it would be. Hopefully these will keep me stocked up for a while.

We ordered masks last night and it looks like we go tin before the crazy time hit.

What I did last time with loo roll is I ordered stuff with a delivery time in the future, a week, two weeks, 4 weeks etc and if we had enough, I just cancelled the next coming order.

That may work for masks. It's not nice, but if the people selling raise the price due to demand, then I'd have no problem with it (and didn't).

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

They might not work as well, however, no mask works well when it is not worn properly. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm willing to bet that a surgical mask that doesn't cover someone's nose is not as effective as a properly fitting cloth mask.

You mean like this?

IMG-20210117-WA0002.jpg.2b346ad31c1ff1b9

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

If the shit hits the fan, I can always wear my dad's mask :ph34r:.

But then people on the phone will think you're asthmatic :lol:

Hello, doctors surgery.

I'd like a...

Oh my god, you sound terrible. Have you take n your inhaler?

No, I just want

You really should take it, We can fit you in this afternoon as an emergency. Are you running short of any meds?

I just want referral form for physio, for my knee, I was there last week with it. The doctor said I should call this week about a referral.

You can't go to physio in your condition...  Should I call you an ambulance?

I managed to buy a couple at DM this morning. They were limiting purchases to one packet per person and there were slightly frantic scenes, with people trying to buy entire boxes full of masks shouting at the cashier. To those of you who still have to work with the public, please remember, plenty of other people are really glad you're still doing your jobs and we appreciate the effort you're putting in, even if it doesn't always get said out loud

So for how long can a ffp2 mask could be  wore? Is it also a single use as a blue colored surgical mask? Any info on the usage?. 

For FFP2 not the flimsy blue surgical einweg masks

Bake: In oven (not fan) preheated to 80 C for 60 minutes.   Up to five times.    Other research has says 70 C for 30 minutes is enough and up to 7 times. 

Steam:  Put in individual plastic bags and in boiling  for 5 minutes.  Up to 7  times.

Obviously do not reuse if obviously soiled, or damaged or no longer fit properly.  And  only for reuse by the same person, so label them.

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/en/can-you-re-use-ffp2-masks-li.133542

21 minutes ago, vivanco said:

So for how long can a ffp2 mask could be  wore? Is it also a single use as a blue colored surgical mask? Any info on the usage?. 

"I also wear them at work (we only get the normal ones and want to decrease the risk getting Covid) and when we go shopping.

I have 3 masks in use. After one day I dry them for 70hrs and take the next one. On a package I read that they can be used for 40hrs or so."

Quotation from answer-to-life on another thread (in the old days you could quote across threads, hey ho).

Put FFP2 into the search and there's some more info.

At 40 hours, if you only use it for shopping, it'll last months, if you work long hours every day, you're going to need a big pack. 

edit - snowing again has some more interesting suggestions above :)

26 minutes ago, vivanco said:

The insert that came with mine says you should use them for "one shift" and describes all sorts of work that is much, much dirtier than riding the train or going to the store.  They mention construction sites, basements, and cisterns.  So, in gross conditions, 8-12 hours I guess.  I will probably take my chances and wear them considerably longer than that.  

The ones I have are FFP2 NR, no valve.  For the NRs, you should wear them for one shift.  Three shifts (24-36 hours) are allowed if it says "R" instead of "NR" on the package.

17 minutes ago, vivanco said:

I'm not an engineer or medical professional, but from what I've read the standard FFP2 masks are good for about 5 uses. I intend to make each one last a week (for one shopping expedition per day) and in the interim I'll keep it sitting on top of one of our water heaters.

There were some reports during the first wave that N95/FFP2 masks could be sterilised by putting them in an oven heated to 100 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. I tried that on our expensive mask (see original post) and, I'm embarrassed to say, destroyed it this way (I didn't tell my wife).

There might be more info out there on extending their lives, but I haven't checked yet.

32 minutes ago, vivanco said:

All the information on FFP2 Masks for Germany with detailed explanation on usage etc you will find here (in German) Das Wichtigste zu FFP2-Masken 

Percy's link advises against heating up FFP2 masks.  R are reusable and can be superficially cleaned (check manufacturer instructions).  NR are non-reusable and apart from setting them to air out, shouldn't be tampered with at all.  

Ultra-violet light (i.e. sunlight) is also a good disinfectant - not that we get much of it in Berlin these days. :(

I guess the question would be whether the FFP2 masks eventually become unusable because they accumulate toxins, or because the fibres break down from repeated breaths (or dust perhaps?)

Thanks to Sir Percy B for the link to TÜV. Although the technical info is not conclusive, I get the feeling that one mask should be good for a week's light use (about an hour a day).

Nice to see my oven-cleaning experiment mentioned here (not).