Where to buy FFP2 facemasks in Berlin?

104 posts in this topic

Looking for advice about the best source for FFP2 (N95) face masks in Berlin. We're anticipating there'll be a run on them once the regulations come into effect, but I'm not sure that online orders will be prompt or reliable.

During the first wave, I remember having to buy a single N95 for €15! The cheapest I've seen lately online was €88 for 50 masks, however they're currently out of stock. Can anyone recommend a bricks and mortar supplier inside the ring who might offer a price close to the more reasonable one?

thanks in advance.

Apparently all pharmacies have them, but they're obviously the most expensive option. According to this Morgenpost article, "some" drug store chains have them, too.

I ordered a 20-pack yesterday from real.de - €21.99 with free shipping. I paid attention to "Versand aus Deutschland".

Thanks for the link El Jeffo. There seems to be a lot of options for online orders here.

Yes, pharmacies would be one of the more expensive outlets but I wonder if places like DM and Rossmann will start stocking them?

I found another article at morgenpost.de - they report the masks cost €3.00-€3.90 per piece at a pharmacy on Friedrichstrasse, but at the Rossmann a few doors down they're selling packs of 5 for €9.99. So Rossmann has them in general, but there may be bottlenecks at certain stores.

I haven't been able to find out the date from which the FFP2 requirement takes effect, so I might buy a 5-pack from Rossmann just to be safe until my real.de order arrives.

I'd post a link to the MoPo article, but it's a premium article, so you wouldn't be able to read it unless you registered or have a subscription.

I just placed an order at real.de for the same type you did. Now I have to find some for the kid.

Will check out Rossmann and DM today.

Not sure either about the date of requirement but the good old washable (home-sewn) masks should do until the order arrives!

thanks again.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

I just placed an order at real.de for the same type you did. Now I have to find some for the kid.

Will check out Rossmann and DM today.

Not sure either about the date of requirement but the good old washable (home-sewn) masks should do until the order arrives!

thanks again.

These are from DM. https://www.dm.de/medisana-atemschutzmaske-ffp2-rm100-p4015588333354.html  https://www.dm.de/mivolis-ffp2-atemschutzmaske-einweg-p4058172788109.html

From Rossman https://www.rossmann.de/de/gesundheit-25er-set-ffp2-atemschutzmaske-lp2-kopfband/p/4052926060701 https://www.rossmann.de/de/gesundheit-altapharma-ffp-2-masken/p/4305615831466 https://www.rossmann.de/de/gesundheit-ffp3-halbmasken/p/2050000000324 

Some are only available in store but I have a feeling that we will soon face shortages and the prices will increase soon...

Am I wrong in thinking they will require medical masks (surgical masks), and not specifically FFP2? I bought a 100-pack from Amazon yesterday for 10 euro, and a pack for my kids for 15.

15 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I haven't been able to find out the date from which the FFP2 requirement takes effect, so I might buy a 5-pack from Rossmann just to be safe until my real.de order arrives.

There is no FFP2 requirement (besides in Bavaria), the simple OP masks suffice.

11 minutes ago, vronchen said:

There is no FFP2 requirement (besides in Bavaria), the simple OP masks suffice.

For now. Apparently the state premieres and Merkel agreed yesterday that FFP2/N95 masks would be required on public transportation and in stores.

In öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln und Geschäften gilt künftig eine verschärfte Maskenpflicht

Die verschärfte Maskenpflicht kommt: So müssen Bürgerinnen und Bürger laut Beschluss künftig im öffentlichen Nahverkehr und beim Einkaufen medizinische Masken aufsetzen. In Alten- und Pflegeheimen gilt für das Personal gar die Pflicht, die noch effektiveren FFP2-Masken anzuziehen.

(source)

But like I said above, I've found no information about the key date for implementing these new measures.

And at this very instant I received an e-mail that my masks have been shipped, exactly 24 hours after I placed the order. I bought these for €21.99 - I see they now cost €33.87.

Just now, El Jeffo said:

For now. Apparently the state premieres and Merkel agreed yesterday that FFP2 masks would be required on public transportation and in stores.

(source)

But like I said above, I've found no information about the key date for implementing these new measures.

No, they did not. In your own link it also says "medizinische Masken". Those are not necessarily FFP2. 

17 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

There's a press conference at 17.00 today to implement the new rules passed yesterday.

As and when this law is passed only surgical and FFP2 masks will be allowed when using public transport and shopping, The use of scarfs and fabric coverings will be forbidden

18 minutes ago, vronchen said:

No, they did not. In your own link it also says "medizinische Masken". Those are not necessarily FFP2. 

N95 masks also meet the requirement. The key point is that a certain type of mask with high filtration is now required.

Can I offer you any more nits to pick?

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

There's a press conference at 17.00 today to implement the new rules passed yesterday.

As and when this law is passed only surgical and FFP2 mask will be allowed when using public transport and shopping.

Do you have a source for that? Not that I doubt your veracity, but it sounds unreasonably fast.

4 minutes ago, vronchen said:

N95 is just the US equivalent of FFP2. As I said OP mask suffice.

Why suffice when one can be safer? Obviously, the cheaper masks and cloth masks aren't working.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Why suffice when one can be safer? Obviously, the cheaper masks and cloth masks aren't working.

They might not work as well, however, no mask works well when it is not worn properly. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm willing to bet that a surgical mask that doesn't cover someone's nose is not as effective as a properly fitting cloth mask.

Just now, vronchen said:

N95 is just the US equivalent of FFP2. As I said OP mask suffice.

Interesting you mention this, reminds me of a program on Monday night on RBB, 'Supermarkt' warning people about fake FFP2 masks. Here's a link from the RBB website in English.

It goes without saying that these masks are a lot more expensive, but they don't always keep what they promise. There are many counterfeits on the market that do not meet the European CE certification or the comparable Chinese KN95 standard. But how do you recognize the really safe masks? We bought 24 FFP2 masks and had them tested. Half of them failed - including every second we bought in pharmacies.

Source

Full article

They also added a link on their website where you can check the CE numbers, here's the link.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The question was what was decided yesterday. I personally use FFP2 when I go to the stores.

Himself just saw on TV that it has been decided that both FFP2 and OP masks will be accepted on public transport and in shops. Only the cloth masks are not allowed. That is for the whole of Germany.