How can I change my name on my passport

30 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Yes, the only problem is that then child often doesn't get a proper birth certificate, but rather only an extract from register of births

A friend of mine had that problem. They wouldn't give him a birth certificate for his son because they said they can't verify the identity of the mother. He called the Beamte a name and she kicked him out. After having reconsidered she did end up giving a birth certificate though.

48 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Sure, but the OP wants to get married and it'll probably be quicker to opt for the legal route rather than trying to buy a passport.

I didn't suggest she buy a passport. I don't know where she would or how that would help.

6 minutes ago, LeonG said:

A friend of mine had that problem. They wouldn't give him a birth certificate for his son because they said they can't verify the identity of the mother. He called the Beamte a name and she kicked him out. After having reconsidered she did end up giving a birth certificate though.

Your friend was very lucky. There are literally thousands of young adults in Germany who were born here, but whose parents never bothered to cooperate with the authorities to confirm their identities. Trying to sort out the paperwork years later is incredibly difficult for these people who are suffering for the cavalier attitude of their parents. 

6 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I didn't suggest she buy a passport. I don't know where she would or how that would help.

I know that you wouldn't suggest that! :)

I don't doubt that you know many people from many walks of life (unlike some of the privileged tech people here). I also don't doubt that very often those who entered the EU illegally get away with many thing they shouldn't be able to do. The only point I was trying to make is that very often uninformed foreigners shoot themselves in the foot by listening to vague advice on how to scam the system (and for the record I'm not accusing you of that either).

Germany has started cracking down on some of the common immigration scams and if the OP wants to get married and derive immigration rights from this marriage the paperwork needs to be in order.

On 19.1.2021, 15:31:24, Cindyy said:

The ePassport is still in Nigeria and my family is sending it to me because I need it to get married.

My name has a circumflex, which the passport office in the UK has never bothered to include.

When I became a German this issue of circumflex or not amounted to a whole new name in their eyes. It was becoming an issue of some difficulty, and then the specific Beamte in charge of my case asked me how I sign my name (with circumflex, obviously) and just issued my new Deutsch stuff with my correct circumflexed name. She was fine with that, although strictly speaking this was an unusual departure from he normal, which they don't like. 

I think I was lucky and the particular Beamte just used her common sense. Having said that, I was an EU citizen at the time, have 4 kids one of whom was already eingedeutsched, and a nice fat trail of paperwork of who I am, and the difference in name was pretty minimal on the scale of things.

If your nickname has parts of your actual name, or is clearly a nick name and not a whole alternative, then you might be OK.

If engelchen's instincts are correct, which they often are, then there are some valid suggestions above, good luck!

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Germany has started cracking down on some of the common immigration scams and if the OP wants to get married and derive immigration rights from this marriage the paperwork needs to be in order.

They should be checking. Somehow a lot of strapping young men are marrying women who are 20 yrs older and divorcing them about 3+ yrs later after getting papers and abh doesn't seem to suspect anything.

I have seen a letter from abh where they said that person x is also person y. This was a guy who claimed asylum under one name, then got married using his passport and fessed up and abh said no biggie, here's a letter.

Apparently it's also a thing that once you've been a citizen for 5 years they will not take it away even if you've lied about everything. There are actually ppl who come here, marry for papers, get the passport, get divorced, wait 5 years and then recall they had a spouse and kids back home all along and sponsor them. I know the system in Canada and they'd kick you out for that.

Theoretically, lying on your application would render it null and void here, too, but clearly not in all cases.

17 hours ago, LeonG said:

They should be checking. Somehow a lot of strapping young men are marrying women who are 20 yrs older and divorcing them about 3+ yrs later after getting papers and abh doesn't seem to suspect anything.

I have seen a letter from abh where they said that person x is also person y. This was a guy who claimed asylum under one name, then got married using his passport and fessed up and abh said no biggie, here's a letter.

Apparently it's also a thing that once you've been a citizen for 5 years they will not take it away even if you've lied about everything. There are actually ppl who come here, marry for papers, get the passport, get divorced, wait 5 years and then recall they had a spouse and kids back home all along and sponsor them.

Stories like those would be a shot in the arm for the AfD is they were known more publicly.

Presumably things will tighten up, as in France, where this kind of exploitation has led to an informal, over-zealous application of procedure. Result: those of us legitimately entitled to papers are effectively blocked from getting them because unofficially and in reality the doors are actually closed to foreigners. They cannot say it out loud though, as there would be much aggro from the courts. I can assure you this is the case on the ground however, as I find myself on the receiving end of such treatment.

6 minutes ago, optimista said:

Presumably things will tighten up, as in France, where this kind of exploitation has led to an informal, over-zealous application of procedure. Result: those of us legitimately entitled to papers are effectively blocked from getting them because unofficially and in reality the doors are actually closed to foreigners. 

I know the system in Canada as well and if you lie there in order to get your permanent residency or commit bigamy or fake marriage etc. you will lose your PR if they find out and if you had gained citizenship based on that PR you will lose that too.  If you only lied about not being married or not having kids you would normally keep your PR because that would not have affected you getting it but you can never sponsor a family member you omitted from your application.

I had a hard time believing the 5 year rule here but then I found it somewhere. The only exception which could cause someone to lose German citizenship after more than 5 years would be terrorism.

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I know the system in Canada as well and if you lie there in order to get your permanent residency or commit bigamy or fake marriage etc. you will lose your PR if they find out and if you had gained citizenship based on that PR you will lose that too. 

And that´s how it should be. Outrageous that it isn´t.