How can I change my name on my passport

30 posts in this topic

I have a passport the name on my passport is different from the name am using now and now I need to change it to the name am using now pls can anyone now how it works 

Talk to the embassy of the country that issued your passport. They will tell you what they need. For example if you legally changed your name, you would have paperwork, if you got married, you would have paperwork. 

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Talk to the embassy of the country that issued your passport. They will tell you what they need. For example if you legally changed your name, you would have paperwork, if you got married, you would have paperwork. 

Thanks for the reply.
I explain better. 
In Nigeria is not a must that you need a birth certificate to do a passport so I used my nickname.
This name differs from the one I've used to register in Germany (my real name).
The ePassport is still in Nigeria and my family is sending it to me because I need it to get married.
But I will have problems because the names differ (the surname is the same, though).
What can I do?

2 hours ago, Cindyy said:

40 minutes ago, Cindyy said:

What can I do?

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

Talk to the embassy of the country that issued your passport.

Thanks for the reply.
I explain better. 
In Nigeria is not a must that you need a birth certificate to do a passport so I used my nickname.
The ePassport is still in Nigeria and my family is sending it to me because I need it to get married.
But I will have problems because the names differ (the surname is the same, though).
What can I do?

Ok thanks I appreciate 

I'm curious. How could you register without a passport?

Possibly one of them fluchtlings that everyone bangs on about..... 

On 19/01/2021, 15:31:24, Cindyy said:

Does anyone else find this funny? There was a guy offering forged documents the other day. Maybe he could help?

On 19/01/2021, 18:11:54, MikeMelga said:

I'm curious. How could you register without a passport?

Corruption and bribery, I presume...

It's possible to register without a passport if you claim asylum and say that you don't have one.  I don't know if that's the case here. Many refugees hide their passports due to fear of getting deported.

53 minutes ago, LeonG said:

It's possible to register without a passport if you claim asylum and say that you don't have one.  I don't know if that's the case here. Many refugees hide their passports due to fear of getting deported.

Yes, but under these circumstances it is usually better to go back to one's home country to obtain the proper paperwork and enter with the correct visa. Turning up with a brand new passport issued under a different name could cause even further delays and problems. 

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Yes, but under these circumstances it is usually better to go back to one's home country to obtain the proper paperwork and enter with the correct visa. Turning up with a brand new passport issued under a different name could cause even further delays and problems. 

If a refugee here asked me whether they should risk their life going back home to organize the correct paperwork or stay and try to do it here I would tell them to do it here. If the person is an asylum seeker but not a refugee coming from a country where they are not at risk, there is no point in telling them to go home to get the correct visa because they know they are unable to get a visa which is why they came as an asylum seeker in the first place.

It is accepted that refugees sometimes travel on fake documents or other people's documents and there's even an international treaty saying they shouldn't be punished for it although in many countries they are. I have seen a letter from abh explaining that person x is also person y with a different name and birthdate. My brother who works in a pension fund in Iceland also saw a letter like that from their abh which the person used in order to get their pension contributions merged under one of their names. 

Aside from fake documents it's not unheard of in 3rd world countries to have mismatched information. You could have a birth certificate with the wrong name or the wrong spelling of your name or the wrong birthdate or birthplace and it may be difficult to get corrected. The passport office may however be more accommodating to correct the wrong info which would also leave someone with a birth certificate not matching their passport.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Well, here lies my point. I don't buy the nickname story. I think he registered with a fake name and now has a mismatch. Or he registered with the real name but "bought" a passport with another name.

36 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If a refugee here asked me whether they should risk their life going back home to organize the correct paperwork or stay and try to do it here I would tell them to do it here. If the person is an asylum seeker but not a refugee coming from a country where they are not at risk, there is no point in telling them to go home to get the correct visa because they know they are unable to get a visa which is why they came as an asylum seeker in the first place.

Considering that only about 6% of Nigerian citizens are actually recognised as real refugees, the chances are high that the OP is an economic migrant and not a real refugee. The OP can wait until she is deported or sort out her paperwork, however, getting married in Germany with fake documents is generally difficult. Furthermore, without valid travel documents it is not possible to travel to other countries to get married and Denmark is no longer marrying foreigners without paperwork (on top of which Corona travel restrictions have made it difficult to cross borders without notice). 

Always better to get it changed in country of origin, if possible. I had a headache just convincing the beamte in front of me that my middle name is not part of my first name. Concept of middle name is non existent. 

I don't know if this is OP's situation but I know of people having been registered under a fake name traveling to Denmark or Sweden to get married and coming back with their real passport and real name. The traveling part would be difficult right now but not impossible unless there is border control checking each car going across.

Having a German child is another method to stay. You don't have to travel for that.

The process of deportation for a failed asylum seeker who doesn't have a passport or are saying they don't, is that abh will encourage the person to apply for a passport which they probably won't because it means going home or they request emergency travel documents from the person's embassy which is not possible unless they know their proper name and birthdate. This leaves the option of Germany having an agreement with the person's home country to take back their people without documents. Failing that, the person stays here with Duldung and may be granted a work permit if somebody wants to hire them. This is without Vorrangprüfung because it gets them off benefits. Or they might be denied a work permit which would allow them to stay on benefits.  Imo it's not much of a life but may be preferable to them over going home.

international naming conventions can be quite entertaining... 

I'll let you in on a little dirty secret from my own personal (former) life:

my first husband was from Spain. We got married in Germany before Spain became a member of the EU. For ease of integration - because his last name was really hard to pronounce for Germans - we decided, that he would take my birth name as his new last name (no problem under German law).

Then he needed a residence permit, and Ausländerbehörde told us to go to the Spanish consulate and change the name in his passport (or get a new passport with his new last name). That's when things got interesting.

Spanish consulate refused to change his last name. They said German law is irrelevant to them, and Spain doesn't allow changing ones last name just because you got married. Spain has some very clear rules as to what a person's last name will be (everybody has two last names, no hyphen. First part is your father's first part, second part is your mother's first part - for life) and absolutely no provisions for ever changing that. Especially not for some other country's convenience.

At least they gave that to us in writing, so that he could get his Aufenthaltserlaubnis issued. On that Aufenthaltserlaubnis it said "Nachname: our married name", and after that it said "geb.: his Spanish lastname(s)".

11 minutes ago, LeonG said:

The traveling part would be difficult right now but not impossible unless there is border control checking each car going across.

From my understanding Denmark is actually strictly controlling its borders in an effort to hinder the virus. 

Having a German child is another method to stay. You don't have to travel for that.

Yes, the only problem is that then child often doesn't get a proper birth certificate, but rather only an extract from register of births.

The process of deportation for a failed asylum seeker who doesn't have a passport or are saying they don't, is that abh will encourage the person to apply for a passport which they probably won't because it means going home or they request emergency travel documents from the person's embassy which is not possible unless they know their proper name and birthdate. This leaves the option of Germany having an agreement with the person's home country to take back their people without documents. Failing that, the person stays here with Duldung and may be granted a work permit if somebody wants to hire them. This is without Vorrangprüfung because it gets them off benefits. Or they might be denied a work permit which would allow them to stay on benefits.  Imo it's not much of a life but may be preferable to them over going home.

Sure, but the OP wants to get married and it'll probably be quicker to opt for the legal route rather than trying to buy a passport.