Parking Issue

13 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some insight on this topic.

A little background: My wife was born in the flat we are living in now. Her parents and the downstairs neighbors were the original tenants of the 3 family home that we rent a flat in. This is important because 35 years late, these neighbors still treat my wife as if she is a child. Her mother is now deceased and her father no longer lives in the flat. The neighbors are a horrible couple who call the landlord whenever anyone commits some sort of perceived infraction, but they make up rules as they go along.

We pay for half of the two-car garage that is shared with the downstairs neighbor. We hardly park our car there, because they will park over the line and it doesn't allow room for another car. Because my wife doesn't want to stir up trouble, we park on the street. But we still pay for it every month and use it to store our bikes and have packages delivered there. The neighbors allow their visiting family members to park in the garage, which is extremely frustrating. They don't ask, they just park there. We once had our bikes parked on our side of the garage and they moved them, to allow their relative to park where our bikes were standing. (On a side note, they also store their yellow trash bags on our side of the garage, but calls the landlady if we leave a package down there for a day too long).

We recently had an altercation with the neighbor over her reporting to the landlady that we didn't shovel the snow (we did - and took pictures, because of how this woman is). We mentioned to the landlady about the parking space and, as far as we know, the neighbors have been told to stay on their side and not allow people to park on our side anymore. However, the landlady has made it clear that she does not want to be involved.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what steps we can take, if the neighbor keeps violating the rule and parking in the middle or allowing their family members to park there. In the US, I could call the police and they'd have the car towed. I don't know what all I can do here, especially when it comes to taking pictures of the cars, for proof. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks so much!

Very simple: get (rent or buy) an overseas shipping container - the 20ft. version should fit - with lockable doors and "park" that inside the garage, occupying your half. Your neighbors couldn't violate your space anymore - and you wouldn't have to involve the landlord.

If your half of the garage has some "odd" measurements, a standard overseas container may not fit. In that case you could still have that "inner garage" custom made in whatever size. 

I'm not sure the landlady can stay out of it.

She has already talked to the neighbours about the snow (they called her), she is also the landlady, if you are not bale to use what you are paying for, she will have to step in as you could reduce your rent.

Are you members of the Mietverein?  If not it maybe worth joining. 

I think however you are looking at a decision to accept all the crap and live with it, or step in to a situation that will cause stress and be messy. Even if you are in the right, this cold still get messy if you push things.

The Mietverein would be be to answer some questions for you, such as what you can do if you come home and you can't park as there is another car there or the neighbours have parked over the line.

As I say, could get messy and if, as you say, your wife doesn't want to cause trouble, you will have to talk with her first. She is going to have to be onboard and aware of the total shit bucket this could stir up. 

If we look at parking, you are in the right but that may not stop the neighbours reacting badly.  

In our old flat one set of neighbours would always arrange to grill with us in the garden always turn up late when everything was done, eat our food (and take theirs's with them t the end of the night) and never help clean up.

You should have seen the hassle it caused when we started only cooking enough food for us (and not offering them anything) , not providing food for any guests they had decided to invite at the last minute and when I stopped being at the grill when or food was cooked. 

Apparently not jumping up to cook their food when thy turned up was just me being strange.

It took us a while of being nice to stop being nice so we had to fight their resistance to change. Keep that in mind, if you start this you will possibly not just be fighting against what they are doing, but their resistance to stop (the parking) as thy have always done that.

who says you can't "park" a container inside your half of the garage?

Used 20" containers cost around 600 €.

Or build a (metal, or wooden, or even plastic) shed right into the garage. Like this one here https://www.hornbach.de/shop/Geraetehaus-biohort-HighLine-H5-Doppeltuer-254-x-294-cm-dunkelgrau/5682963/artikel.html

Me, being an avid do-it-yourselfer, I would measure my space, order some timber, and build the "shed insert" right there, in place - locked gate and all. No floor or roof needed. Should be a fun project. Especially watching the faces of my lovely neighbors ;)

Or order your Materialcontainer here https://www.hacobau.de/produkte/schnellbaucontainer/materialcontainer/index.htm totally made in Germany, can be delivered within a week.

1 hour ago, belyn said:

However, the landlady has made it clear that she does not want to be involved.

Sorry, she is the landlady, she doesn't get to pick and choose when she gets involved. If you have a valid concern, she has to intervene. That's the responsibility of property ownership.

In these types of disputes, you have to document everything. I would write a letter to her documenting the number of times you were forced to park on the street in a month because of your neighbours. Include photos. Make clear because of security, winter weather etc, parking on rhe street is *not* an option for you.

Now see how much the rent is for a garage in your home town. Calculate the price you would have to pay to rent the garage for this time. In my letter, I would say that unless a dividing wall is built, this is how much rent I will withdraw paying.

This will get your landlady involved.

My advice is to ring  your neighbours' bell, regardless of the time of day or night, and ask them to move  a visitors vehicle or repark theirs when your part of the garage is occupied and you want to park there. If it happens often enough hopefully they will get the message, if they refuse then take a photo and send it with a written complaint to the landlady on every instance. Having said that if you are obviously not using the garage to park your car, i.e. you have other things stored there, then you can hardly be surprised or complain if your neighbours are not to fussy about parking a bit over your side. Moving your stuff to park a visitors car without asking is definitely over the top though imo!

I had a problem with people parking in front of my garage, and then I put a sign up saying it is private property and trespassers will be towed. I no longer have people parking in front of my garage. You just have to do it the German way, and that means being an annoying bugger like they are. I would knock on the door every time and remind them to keep their car and stuff in their half of the garage and not to cross the line. You are in your right to require that. In this culture you only get respect if you push back. There is no concept of politeness in these matters. It is about "who is right" according to "the rules". If they challenge you just calmly explain that you are paying for your half of the garage and are entitled to use it at your discretion whenever and however you like.

To end things, I would also tell the landlady to put up a divider or you will reduce the rent. And put up a sign as well like I did.

I also have seen private parking spots in my neighborhood with license plates attached to show only the holder of that license can park there.

6 hours ago, wien4ever said:

..,,that you are paying for your half of the garage and are entitled to use it at your discretion whenever and however you like.

Not entirely true since, of course, you have the Garagenverordnung: https://m.augsburger-allgemeine.de/geld-leben/Was-in-einer-Garage-gelagert-werden-darf-und-was-nicht-id54349826.html

You can't e.g. use it to store garden furniture, old couch, etc.

Buy an old shitty scrap car/van. for 100€ and get it dragged into the garage...  or look for someone who is looking to rent a garage space to store an old vehicle etc...

22 hours ago, belyn said:

In the US, I could call the police and they'd have the car towed

Not in Germany. They will tell you sue your neighbour. Which I´d do after a warning.

If the door has a lock it is easy to change the barrel, just replace the old one when you leave. Also, if you see them go out in their car, put yours in there and position it (your side of the middle line) so that they have to park theirs correctly - preferably with your drivers door opening to the wall so that they cannot make getting in and out difficult for you.