Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DHL customs charges for parcels from outside EU

17 posts in this topic

just had an unpleasant experience when 2 DHL men, one not wearing mask properly, knocked at door with a small parcel. I had ordered a small second hand gift item from the UK value about 6 euros ,postage about 5,which had been sent well before Xmas and therefore well before Brexit deadline. They demanded 16,47 euros in customs duties. They could not say why this charge was being made or how this sum was arrived at. They got impatient and quite intimidating, presumably because they had other calls. When my wife took the packet to check the details one of them snatched it back and they both ran off. They then rang the door bell and threatened to call the police. We contacted the  police who said they were quite within their rights, so no help there. I subsequently checked the informative Zoll flyer in English. It states quite clearly that consignments with a total value of up to 22 euros do not attract customs duties or VAT . This is from third countries and in this case should have been free as it was posted from the EU. The flyer also states that couriers handle the entire customs process, in other words firms like DHL are making their own judgements (and presumably charges) on what people should pay. This bullying attitude and disgraceful treatment of its customers has to stop. We are still very shocked at this incident. Meanwhile they have our parcel, which like so many , we will never see again.

1 hour ago, Julian54 said:

They could not say why this charge was being made or how this sum was arrived at.

DHL will not know & cannot know how the Zoll arrived at the charges they determined.  But are you certain that these were customs duties or a possible charge levied by DHL for handling goods coming from outside EU (see below)?

This is from third countries and in this case should have been free as it was posted from the EU.

I would hazzard a guess that when the parcel arrived in the EU it was after Jan 1st.

This bullying attitude and disgraceful treatment of its customers has to stop.

How do you plan to achieve that?

Anyhow, as I posted elsewhere for example Marks and Spencer claim that they continue to deliver to Germany at least.  They state:

Do I need to complete a customs declaration form?

Yes. Following the UK’s departure from the EU, you will now need to complete a customs declaration form for all orders arriving in the EU from the UK. You will be contacted directly by your local courier with the relevant details to facilitate delivery. No additional duties or taxes will be payable.

"I" being the recipient.

Note the last sentence.  What it does not exclude is whether the "local courier" will levy charges (which will be outside the control of M&S).  These would be of course neither duties or taxes!

7 hours ago, HEM said:

"I" being the recipient.

Note the last sentence.  What it does not exclude is whether the "local courier" will levy charges (which will be outside the control of M&S).  These would be of course neither duties or taxes!

That really can't be correct, the customs declaration surely must be provided by the sender and included with the package. Otherwise how would the recipient know the value and contents of something sent as a present from relatives for example? Also how would customs know what to charge, short of opening the package and assessing the contents, if the customs declaration was being held by the recipient?

For sure the recipient is liable to pay any duties, VAT and courier handling charges but my understanding, from both exporting and importing to or from countries outside the EU, is that the sender completes a customs declaration form and includes it with the shipment.

To the OP, looks like you were unlucky and the package got held up so did not arrive before the new brexit regulations came into force. I would advise you to pay up and in future forget about sourcing low value items from outside the EU.

I just read an article about Brexit charges and fees for British exporters. There is a 'disbursement charge' mentioned for parcels:

and third, a “disbursement charge” which is set at different levels in each EU country with a minimum of about €14 per parcel, or calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods, whichever is the higher, plus VAT in the destination country. This covers the costs of the tax authority in the recipient country inspecting and processing the parcels.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/shock-brexit-charges-are-hurting-us-say-small-british-businesses?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

If it's any consolation, the minimum fee for parcels to Australia is apparently EUR 16, before the thing's even been weighed. I've stopped sending parcels to Australia altogether and told them also not to send me anything any more

8 minutes ago, cvm said:

If it's any consolation, the minimum fee for parcels to Australia is apparently EUR 16, before the thing's even been weighed. I've stopped sending parcels to Australia altogether and told them also not to send me anything any more

If you buy online a small package is Euro 8.99

https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/pakete-versenden/weltweit-versenden/land/australien.html

aus paket.JPG

Is that not simply the cost of the box and postage? I would hazard a guess that that doesn't cover any customs duties.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Jamal said:

Is that not simply the cost of the box and postage? I would hazard a guess that that doesn't cover any customs duties.

It is the postage for a packet of those dimensions and weight.  Packaging not included.  But much of stuff I send to Australia is not subject to customs, have to fill out declaration of course. 

Rather bafflingly they do not offer at the Post at the moment.  But it is still available online.

A mere EUR 9 - a bargain! Thank you. I was going by information given to me at the post office, where, as you point out, this option doesn't seem to be on offer

21 hours ago, cvm said:

I was going by information given to me at the post office, where, as you point out, this option doesn't seem to be on offer

It's possible you can buy online, but at the post office they will just say 'Computah sez noooo'. 

I sent a parcel to Canada just before the holidays, which cost several euros more than all the contents within (one of those yellow DHL boxes, size M). The guy also consulted his computah to see if it was allowed... 

@Julian54 The word 'customs' tends to be frequently misused. E.g., people often confuse Bundespolizei/border guards with Zoll/Customs, but they are not the same thing. Here, are you sure customs charges were accurate? They may not actually be customs charges from the Zoll, but the previously mentioned third-party handling fees, which is not the same thing. Delivery men (and women) usually do not have a lawyerly education or much training in finer aspects of customer service, and are mostly interested in getting on with their low-paid route. So I can imagine they were annoyed and didn't really know how to explain what the charges were. 

Nonetheless, you generally do have the right to refuse a delivery. Even if it's unopened, you can theoretically take it back to a post office and say 'nope'. Here they snatched it away apparently, but same difference. The police would have no roll to play here on either 'side'. 

On 16/01/2021, 16:42:58, Julian54 said:

The flyer also states that couriers handle the entire customs process, in other words firms like DHL are making their own judgements (and presumably charges) on what people should pay.

I am a bit skeptical, unless the word 'customs' is not being used as confusing shorthand again. There may be Zoll staff working in large DHL or UPS shipment centres or wherever, but they will open packages, not actual DHL staff et al. DHL may hire grunts to do initial sorting of 'needs Zoll attention' or not, but I would imagine that's about it. 

Yea, but, welcome to Germany.

Meanwhile they have our parcel, which like so many , we will never see again.

If the sender included 'return to sender', that's where it will go. If not, it will be destroyed. Of course, it's also possible some angry deliverymen 'lost' it...  

On 1/16/2021, 4:42:58, Julian54 said:

Yep, and yet DHL is still better than the rest. At least in my city. The usual justification is postmen are overworked and underpaid. 
Had shitty experience at post office and Postbank too. I guess they are also overworked and underpaid.

I also had a shock today when I had to pay €14 in charges from the UK for two small items worth 30 pounds (which were meant to be a Valentine's gift).   The postage from the UK had already cost 9 pounds which more than covered the size but I'm going to have to be careful ordering the wife things in future ;)

Last year I ordered a dust collection fitting for my shop from Axminster in the UK.  The part was €10.75 and shipping was €9.50.  I wanted to order a duplicate part this month.  The price was the same, but shipping is now €24.95.  I can live without the part.

Well the UK did vote for Brexit. They will be pleased those nasty EU folk will be put off buying UK goods because it obviously means that people in the UK will buy the products instead and therefore be much better off who needs exports!?

22 minutes ago, VOV509V said:

Well the UK did vote for Brexit. They will be pleased those nasty EU folk will be put off buying UK goods because it obviously means that people in the UK will buy the products instead and therefore be much better off who needs exports!?

Yay! Fuck the experts and exports!