Accident of auto in parking place

49 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, john g. said:

A few years ago, a young Canadian I know,  on his bike , bashed into the back of a BMW in Berlin.

4,000 euros. I still reckon the old German guy in the car had a “ friend “ at the workshop to “ milk “ the young guy’s Haftpflicht. The insurance paid, fortunately.

I know the story told by one of the Japanese scientists at the DESY lab in Hamburg back in the 1980s.

He had a terribly battered VW beetle that had failed the TÜV.  Nothing could be done about it.

So on his final drive to KIESOW (car recycling place) he stopped at the Elbe Einkaufzentrum to buy something & when he came out somone had rammed his Beetle!  The lady took a look at his car, said "it cannot be worth much" (true) & offered a couple of hundred DMs.  My colleague said "done", pocketed the money & drive off to the scrap yard.

3 hours ago, ahammed said:

Thanks for the reply @vivanco. If she/her garage claims a higher than usual repair cost, will the insurance company restrict it?

Insurance company negotiates to keep the costs minimum. 

Not sure if this helps, but last year someone ran into the back of me and I had to get the rear bumper replaced, their insurance covered it. We got it done at our local garage and it was around EUR 1,200.

upon entry to the carpark, there should be a sign that says "STVO sind Gultig" or some such...

If the car park wasnt properly cleared of snow.. mayby the local council should be contacted..

However... my thoughts are.. "suck it up"... 

3 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

€4000 for a cratch on a bumper? Was it a Ferrari 👻?

No I think it was a Citroen. I suppose they replaced the bumper but maybe the guy found some more things he wanted to fix.

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

dunno, SF0 is the highest already, can it go SF-1  ?  Can they make the insurance higher if you are already at the highest?

Yes, they can. SF stands for "Schadenfreiheitsklasse", i. e. the category you´ll be classified according to the number of years of driving without an accident. There are also "Malusklassen" . They can cost up to 280% of SF0, depending on the number of accidents. https://www.financescout24.de/wissen/ratgeber/schadenfreiheitsklasse

14 hours ago, Sn0wman said:

Not sure if this helps, but last year someone ran into the back of me and I had to get the rear bumper replaced, their insurance covered it. We got it done at our local garage and it was around EUR 1,200.

1200 Euro for a bumper!!

That's why DB every year says to use their bus: Less costly, more fun.

13 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

upon entry to the carpark, there should be a sign that says "STVO sind Gultig" or some such...

If the car park wasnt properly cleared of snow.. mayby the local council should be contacted..

However... my thoughts are.. "suck it up"... 

There was no sign unfortunately. I talked with the Insurance company. They told me still I will be the one responsible. :(

@SpiderPig

StVO is also not relevant here: you are not supposed to go back and hit a car, with or without StVO. 

Even so, if we want to be pedantic, rule #1 is:

(1) Die Teilnahme am Straßenverkehr erfordert ständige Vorsicht und gegenseitige Rücksicht.
(2) Wer am Verkehr teilnimmt hat sich so zu verhalten, dass kein Anderer geschädigt, gefährdet oder mehr, als nach den Umständen unvermeidbar, behindert oder belästigt wird.

I had a similar misfortune last summer.

My car rolled back onto an Audi because the electronic handbrake failed (read - was not correctly applied by the driver).

My premium had been approx 800 per year, I am now paying 1150 a year (for a car I barely use any more! Bloody Corona.)

@ahammed  I know it‘s upsetting when things like this happen, but don‘t let anyone (especially Germans) treat you as if you have committed the Crime of the Century (some will, if you let them).  You did the right thing by taking responsibility for your mistake.

Just remember that Germans smack their cars into each other all the time, and most of them see it as no big deal.  A lot of them will just drive off as if nothing happened, if they think they can get away with it.

13 hours ago, LeonG said:

No I think it was a Citroen. I suppose they replaced the bumper but maybe the guy found some more things he wanted to fix.

Basically, your insurance company got conned.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

StVO is also not relevant here: you are not supposed to go back and hit a car, with or without StVO. 

Even so, if we want to be pedantic, rule #1 is:

I agree with the rules. I believe I should not have tried to or be more cautious going to that not cleared parking place.

1 hour ago, Uncle Jamal said:

I had a similar misfortune last summer.

My car rolled back onto an Audi because the electronic handbrake failed (read - was not correctly applied by the driver).

My premium had been approx 800 per year, I am now paying 1150 a year (for a car I barely use any more! Bloody Corona.)

Thanks for the feedback @Uncle Jamal. DO you remember what was the bill to make the raise up to 1150? And how many years you have to pay so high?

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

@ahammed  I know it‘s upsetting when things like this happen, but don‘t let anyone (especially Germans) treat you as if you have committed the Crime of the Century (some will, if you let them).  You did the right thing by taking responsibility for your mistake.

Just remember that Germans smack their cars into each other all the time, and most of them see it as no big deal.  A lot of them will just drive off as if nothing happened, if they think they can get away with it.

Hi, thanks for the reply @Space Cowboy. I hope I never run away from a mistake in my life. 

You are fretting over using using your accident insurance to cover the cost of an accident.  Insurance companies know something about insurance scams and they know more about auto repair costs than anyone which is why they remain in business.  They will pay the standard rate to repair "the damage done".  The injured owner does not determine what the "damage" is.   Insurance adjusters do that. Owners can't get a new engine or paint their entire car just because they want it.

Insurance actuaries determine premiums, which is what was done when you signed up for your current policy.  They will use this accident plus other factors to determine your rate.  You pay for all of these services with your premiums.  Let them do the work.

1 hour ago, catjones said:

You are fretting over using using your accident insurance to cover the cost of an accident.  Insurance companies know something about insurance scams and they know more about auto repair costs than anyone which is why they remain in business.  They will pay the standard rate to repair "the damage done".  The injured owner does not determine what the "damage" is.   Insurance adjusters do that. Owners can't get a new engine or paint their entire car just because they want it.

Insurance actuaries determine premiums, which is what was done when you signed up for your current policy.  They will use this accident plus other factors to determine your rate.  You pay for all of these services with your premiums.  Let them do the work.

Thank you @catjones. I was really looking for that what you just said! I am just afraid how big my premium will be next year! 

Don't worry, the premium might jump by 100 to 200 euros year, but then just a few years (2-3)  of accident free driving and it will drop down again.

16 hours ago, jeba said:

Yes, they can. SF stands for "Schadenfreiheitsklasse", i. e. the category you´ll be classified according to the number of years of driving without an accident. There are also "Malusklassen" . They can cost up to 280% of SF0, depending on the number of accidents.

https://www.financescout24.de/wissen/ratgeber/schadenfreiheitsklasse

The way I read this table, is that in this “Malusklasse” you pay up to 280% of SF1. Since the poster was already in SF0, he was already paying up to 260% of SF1. 

Looks like you’d be paying about 20% more, probably for about 3 years. That should allow you to calculate if it makes sense to pay out of pocket. 

Lastly, my bumper once got hit and I had to replace, and I once damaged a bumper of another parked car, which also got replaced. Both cost ~1200EUR. I had an “accident forgiveness” on my insurance, didn’t have to pay more after. May make sense to switch insurance provider after this is all sorted, to see if you can get one that suits you better. 

18 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Basically, your insurance company got conned.

Either they did or they conned me by telling me a higher amount than they actually paid.