Accident of auto in parking place

49 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Today I had an accident in Edeka parking place. I was trying to go out but because the road was very slippery my car instead went back and heat a parked Peugeot 5008. Brake did not work. The car rear bumper got a dent and scratches as in the picture. Owner of the car said that she wants to change the whole bumper.

Do you have any idea how much should it cost?

Can I ask to do repair in my preferred garage?

I am a new driver with SF0 class. I have a Teilkasko insurance. I want to understand how much my insurance cost will raise next year if the damage is paid by them and its above 1000 euro.

I feel very panicked as its my first accident. I don't know if I can drive car freely again. Probably I should not have driven my car in snow. I will be looking for your kind advise. Thanks.

rear bumper.jpg

21 minutes ago, ahammed said:

Sure you can ask but the other party is not bound to accept & likely will not.

Your Haftpflichtversicherung covers damage you do to other people's property.

Did you have suitable tires on your car for the conditions?

58 minutes ago, ahammed said:

The car rear bumper got a dent and scratches as in the picture. Owner of the car said that she wants to change the whole bumper.

Do you have any idea how much should it cost?

Anything from 800 to 2000.depends upon the garage the other party goes. 

Your request will not be entertained. However you can talk to them. In my opinion, let the insurance deal with it. As they know how much such repair costs.

I am a new driver with SF0 class. I have a Teilkasko insurance. I want to understand how much my insurance cost will raise next year if the damage is paid by them and its above 1000 euro.

You will get the letter later on how much premium they want to increase. In November, you will  still have choice to compare the insurances and change the insurance in next year. It might happen(i am not sure) that your insurance provide you the option to you to either accept the premium rise or you pay the whole repair cost.

I feel very panicked as its my first accident. I don't know if I can drive car freely again. Probably I should not have driven my car in snow. I will be looking for your kind advise. Thanks.

Take a break for some time to calm yourself down. Consider the extra costs as a cost of learning experience. Try to be extra careful next time with the weather condition in mind. Good luck. 

54 minutes ago, HEM said:

Did you have suitable tires on your car for the conditions?

I am using winter tire. It did not save me unfortunately.

I guess the other person can quote the highest repair cost. Do you think the insurance company will also have a limit for her. It was a 9 year old car.

32 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

I would only use my garage or my Insurance preferred garage.

So get ready for increased premiums.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how much it can be if it reaches like 1500 euro?

8 minutes ago, vivanco said:

Your request will not be entertained. However you can talk to them. In my opinion, let the insurance deal with it. As they know how much such repair costs.

Thanks for the reply @vivanco. If she/her garage claims a higher than usual repair cost, will the insurance company restrict it?

Wait until the end of 2021. Your insurance company will write you a letter announcing how much the premium will increase if the settle the bill. However, you will be offered to pay the bill out of your pocket, then they will treat it as if you did not have any accident.

29 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Wait until the end of 2021. Your insurance company will write you a letter announcing how much the premium will increase if the settle the bill. However, you will be offered to pay the bill out of your pocket, then they will treat it as if you did not have any accident.

You are right. They told me that. I am just afraid how high the bill come for this rear bumper damage!

Just now, ahammed said:

You are right. They told me that. I am just afraid how high the bill come for this rear bumper damage!

Why do you worry about how high the bill will be? Don't worry, your premium increase won't cost you a fortune...i once hit a MB and the damage was higher than what looks like here...my insurance put me into SF 1 from SF 3

If it's a simple bumper, I would say 1000€. However, if there sensors like distance sensor etc. in the bumper the number can be much higher.

32 minutes ago, syedalisajjad said:

Why do you worry about how high the bill will be? Don't worry, your premium increase won't cost you a fortune...i once hit a MB and the damage was higher than what looks like here...my insurance put me into SF 1 from SF 3

Sajjad vai, you are Gem. Thanks, I did not understand it before. I hope I don't get it so high.

2 hours ago, ahammed said:

Probably I should not have driven my car in snow.

Why, just take extra care next time: driver slower, keep more distance to the car in front of you at all times. Public roads are normally being cleaned from ice by winter service cars, but as you learned from this accident, parking lots are private roads, so they are not cleaned.

If I am allowed to give more advice: buy snow chains and keep them in car trunk just in case. They last forever and sometimes are necessary. Under no circumstances you should proceed past this sign without snow chains on:

index.png.5349a43cc81f17cbe3c05d621b44b1

12 minutes ago, yesterday said:

dunno, SF0 is the highest already, can it go SF-1  ?  Can they make the insurance higher if you are already at the highest?

There is a class called m which is more expensive than 0

Several years ago I lost control on an icy road and hit someone coming from the opposite direction. We were both going slow so it was more like a slap than an actual crash. I had a scratch on my bumper and so did he. I asked him if he had sensors in his bumper and he said no. At the end of the year my insurance sent a letter saying they fixed his car for 4000€. I can't recall how much my insurance was going up. I changed companies to get out of it. Some companies will forgive an accident every now and then.

34 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Why, just take extra care next time: driver slower, keep more distance to the car in front of you at all times. Public roads are normally being cleaned from ice by winter service cars, but as you learned from this accident, parking lots are private roads, so they are not cleaned.

If I am allowed to give more advice: buy snow chains and keep them in car trunk just in case. They last forever and sometimes are necessary. Under no circumstances you should proceed past this sign without snow chains on:

index.png.5349a43cc81f17cbe3c05d621b44b1

Thank you for the advise. Yes, I LEARNED MY LESSON. Will never go to a parking place after snow where as a human I could not even walk without slipping. Although I used winter tyre :(

24 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Several years ago I lost control on an icy road and hit someone coming from the opposite direction. We were both going slow so it was more like a slap than an actual crash. I had a scratch on my bumper and so did he. I asked him if he had sensors in his bumper and he said no. At the end of the year my insurance sent a letter saying they fixed his car for 4000€. I can't recall how much my insurance was going up. I changed companies to get out of it. Some companies will forgive an accident every now and then.

4000 euro to repair a bumper!!!!

I cannot imagine!! I should then stop driving my car.

37 minutes ago, LeonG said:

A few years ago, a young Canadian I know,  on his bike , bashed into the back of a BMW in Berlin.

4,000 euros. I still reckon the old German guy in the car had a “ friend “ at the workshop to “ milk “ the young guy’s Haftpflicht. The insurance paid, fortunately.

25 minutes ago, ahammed said:

Although I used winter tyre :(

The laws of physics have not yet been repealed...