School visa requirements

11 posts in this topic

I am applying to an international university in Germany that teaches only in English. Does this exempt me from the B1 German requirement? Im probably at the A1-A2 level now but I would like to worry about other things instead of getting my B1 certificate. 

Just now, nickstraub said:

I am applying to an international university in Germany that teaches only in English. Does this exempt me from the B1 German requirement? Im probably at the A1-A2 level now but I would like to worry about other things instead of getting my B1 certificate. 

To be specific Schiller university in Heidelberg. 

Are you just looking for a way to party in Germany (whenever that is again possible), a degree certificate to put on your wall, or qualification to find a job in Germany? 

You should keep in mind that German employers generally look for qualifications that match a job description (and take a more narrow view of match).

15 hours ago, engelchen said:

Are you just looking for a way to party in Germany (whenever that is again possible), a degree certificate to put on your wall, or qualification to find a job in Germany? 

You should keep in mind that German employers generally look for qualifications that match a job description (and take a more narrow view of match).

No, I genuinely enjoy the way of live in Germany. Also, yes I want a degree which is why I must attend a university to obtain it. I would pursue a degree in international relations which I plan to use to find a job in Germany. Not to mention this school offers many internship opportunities while studying. 

23 minutes ago, nickstraub said:

I would pursue a degree in international relations which I plan to use to find a job in Germany.

Where specifically do you want to work? 

Keep in mind that you'll be competing with multilingual graduates from better schools.

I don’t have a specific place I want to work I am open to anywhere. I realize there will be other applicants with better credentials. I also realize it’s nearly impossible to get a job with no German language skills so I will also be working on my fluency. I just thought I would do better in university if I studied in my native language. 

Not that this would be the case for you, but my undergraduate is in International Studies. I had planned to go into translation, which did not happen. There wasn't much I could do with my International Studies degree at the undergraduate level. I wouldn't recommend a degree in international relations, unless you know exactly what you are aiming for. I wished I had gotten a teaching degree (in the U.S.) and then gotten work at an international school. This would have given me something concrete and likely fulltime work. 

-Just some things for you to think about. 

1 hour ago, nickstraub said:

I don’t have a specific place I want to work I am open to anywhere.

You need to give it some thought before you decide on a qualification to pursue. For some career paths it is better to complete an apprenticeship than a degree in Germany. 

I realize there will be other applicants with better credentials.

That was not my point. I think you should try for the appropriate credentials for the career you want and not just choose the easiest option. If you choose carefully, you could npbe the applicant with the best credentials for the position. 

I also realize it’s nearly impossible to get a job with no German language skills so I will also be working on my fluency. I just thought I would do better in university if I studied in my native language. 

That is a mistake many international students make. Studying in German is the best way to learn business fluent German. Writing papers in German is not particularly fun for foreign students, however, it is the best way to prepare for writing reports later.

You'll find many expats on this website with technical jobs and not much German, however, if you want to work at an NGO in Germany,  you'll need German. 

21 minutes ago, JN53 said:

There wasn't much I could do with my International Studies degree at the undergraduate level.

There is even less that someone can do with a BA in International Studies from a German university these days (I'massuming that you studied in the States).  

When most German universities implemented the Bologna reform they didn't give any thought to redesigning the curriculum, but rather just split the courses from the Diplom/Magister into bachelor's and master's degrees. 

On 1/16/2021, 11:11:46, nickstraub said:

No, I genuinely enjoy the way of live in Germany. Also, yes I want a degree which is why I must attend a university to obtain it. I would pursue a degree in international relations which I plan to use to find a job in Germany. Not to mention this school offers many internship opportunities while studying. 

I think it's a good idea to check websites like stepstone first for the job market of such degree.