Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Neighbors complaining during Ruhezeit

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I live in Erlangen in a new apartment block first floor. We have a neighbour downstairs who has been on complaining spree. They leave unnamed messages to us and a few other neighbours. Sometimes, these messages are gross ( saying you are inhuman for instance). This week, I drilled 4 wholes in the wall at around 7:30 PM and then set out to fix the brackets in the wall not using any power equipment but screwdriver. Apparently there was some noise to be heard downstairs. 

This time both the couple came upstairs and then asked to stop, I stopped screwing altogether. The next day he complained to Dawonia ( the managing company). I received a letter today informing of complaint and warning etc. Earlier they have complained of a number of things including rubbish storage, washing clothes after ten ( even though it was someone else's washing machine functioning after 10). 

Does one know what to do in these cases. 

I'm guessing the Mieterverein could help. Are you a member? 

Well, Ruhezeit is normally 10pm-6am, so unless your building has different quiet times, you should be fine.

I do sympathise with residents who may have put up with noise all day, and then their evenings are noisy!

So, check with management, and join Mieterverein, if you have not done so. They can send a letter for you quoting Ruhezeit.

What does it say in the rental contract OR the HausOrdung.?

1 hour ago, AlisonVodden said:

I received a letter today informing of complaint and warning etc.

Simply explain to Daiwonia what you were doing at at what time.

And join the Meitverein.

Ruhezeit is indeed normally later that that as already written (9pm or 10pm depending on the zone), but at least in the place I live in the Hausordnung it's explicitly said that such particularily noisy activities (drilling and so on) should not take place after an earlier hour (7pm in our case). So my suggestion would be to read your Hausordnung first and read the ruhezeit rules for your town second (if in doubt, ask local police or so, but you should find plenty on internet).

If they blame you for doing something you are sure you didn't (ie. you mention laundry washing after 10pm) of course kindly respond them accordingly and make sure to put in the magic words "staliking" and "harrasment" to make sure they will be more careful next time about it.