President Joseph R Biden Jr. 46th President of the United States

202 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Yer usually after mass shootings.

Within US culture it is usual to say a prayer on many occasions, as was done at the inauguration, and it is understood that some participate simply in solidarity rather than as part of a formal belief system.  Linking the tradition to mass shootings is inaccurate and undermines the spirit of @robinson100’s comment that Biden was using it as a unifier.  Right now many Americans are feeling uplifted by having a president who reminds of us what brings us together rather than what divides us. Biden wants us to heal.  🙏

11 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Oh dear...

What's happened, dropped the kettle, forget where you put your keys?

Retrace your steps and you'll remember why you went in to the hall.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

50 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

This is how bad it is going for J2 and all his conspiracy theories.

After all the warning of how fucked the US will be once Biden is in power these 2 pathetic posts are all he can come up with.

Strangely enough they can`t even come up with anything original...

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yer let`s not worry about the sacred land it`s running through or the highly suspicious eminent domain purchases of peoples property.

Well, you can´t have your cake and eat it.

23 hours ago, jeba said:

Are you saying the wellbeing of the US is more important than my dividends?:lol:

If you have no moral qualms about investing in weapons and war, follow this misanthrope's lead into Raytheon.   Horn of Africa or Middle East?   Which will be the first hotspot?   🤔

22 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I am very much against that point of view. This thing that we need to make sacrificies is the best chance big corporations has to stop change.

We don't need to make sacrificies to save the environment. THEY have to make those sacrificies. If we stop eating meat or rice, if we fly less, if we use more public transportation, that won't be enough to save the environment.

This is a typical guerrilla war tactic to put us fighting each other. We should be focused on pushing THEM to make sacrificies, not fighting each other about stupid things like eating meat or rice!

And when I mean them to make sacrificies, this is not destruction of value. It is transfer of value from one stagnant business to a disruptive one. With public support, this can happen faster.

This is  "magical thinking".   

If I remember correctly, you work for a corporation.   Many of the people on this board either work for a corporation permanently or on a freelance basis.     

Yet you seem to be suggesting that corporations are distinct from people as if they are managed and operated by aliens.    They are not.  

13 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Looking forward to President Biden's first visit to Ireland as POTUS.

He's gone and taken the Churchill bust out of the oval office again.

I don't think he cares, I think it is a direct comment aimed at Johnson because of Johnson's comments about Obama after he removed it. 

Churchill divides opinion. Brexiteers see it as an insult when someone calls Churchill's legacy into question (for example by bringing up his response to the Bengali famine).

I wouldn't have a Churchill bust in my office either lol.

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Churchill divides opinion. Brexiteers see it as an insult when someone calls Churchill's legacy into question (for example by bringing up his response to the Bengali famine).

I wouldn't have a Churchill bust in my office either lol.

This is because some people can't get their heads around something or someone being more than one thing.

When a brain cannot grasp any concept beyond the binary, then you have a recipe for someone who is going to be easily manipulated and convinced of all kind of BS.

It could be said Churchill was in the right place at the right time - a very specific time and place that he was right for, for a specific task. He also did a lot of bad things, not so great things and had very racist views.

I can handle that, I could pat a person on the back for good stuff, and slap them for the bad stuff. If and how far the good and bad overshadow each other is where opinion lives and discussion can start. Life if complicated, if people always go out looking for explanations and solutions they can end up believing all kinds of rubbish.

There are people who have done things that (in the opinion of most people) that could never be overshadowed regardless of what they have done.

Although having sad that, how a person views this will depend on where they fall historically. I can well understand someone from India not seeing Churchill in any positive way at all. I guess to them his contribution to the war could be completely irrelevant compared to the famine in India. I guess from an Irish standpoint it could be similar, it may also differ based on which political side a person is on.

And, all this is history, Churchill even fought in the first world war, he is long dead and what he did was over 60 years ago.

I'm not gong to get upset because Biden removes the burst from the oval office and I wasn't filled with pride when trump put it in there. 

13 hours ago, Keleth said:

This is how bad it is going for J2 and all his conspiracy theories.

After all the warning of how fucked the US will be once Biden is in power these 2 pathetic posts are all he can come up with.

Strangely enough they can`t even come up with anything original...

Even the story he links is from Vogue - March 19, 2018 https://www.vogue.com/article/kamala-harris-interview-vogue-april-2018

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Oh dear indeed. 

Now what about that recipe for curry?

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Churchill divides opinion.

Personally I think he is one of the most overrated characters of the XX century. He failed miserably as a military commander in both wars.

He was even demoted during WW1 due to his incompetence.

He got lucky during WW2 and was a great speaker. Came out on the winning side and made a nice picture with Stalin and Roosevelt. That's it.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Personally I think he is one of the most overrated characters of the XX century. He failed miserably as a military commander in both wars.

He got lucky during WW2 and was a great speaker. Came out on the winning side and made a nice picture with Stalin and Roosevelt. That's it.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Indeed Brexiteers don't do shades of grey. Their minds can't handle it. Black or white or nothing.

I believe you may find that your opinions are not shared by many in countries that did not remain neutral in WW2.

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Seriously,instead of looking up Churchill on wiki actually do some research into the Dardanelles expedition.

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

He got lucky during WW2 and was a great speaker.

He was exactly what Britain needed at the time.

He was a politician who knew how to lift the spirits of the public,he was not some great military mind.

He didn`t trust his Generals and often meddled which is quite good in this respect as many of them wanted to fight the war the same way they fought WWI.