President Joseph R Biden Jr. 46th President of the United States

343 posts in this topic

President Biden says Facebook, other social media 'killing people' when it comes to COVID-19 misinformation

One day after the surgeon general warned Americans about what he called the "urgent threat of health misinformation," President Joe Biden didn't mince words when asked for his message to platforms like Facebook about COVID-19 misinformation.

"They're killing people," he said.

As the president was leaving the White House for Camp David on Friday afternoon, he was asked, specifically, "On COVID misinformation, what's your message to platforms like Facebook?"

Biden answered, "They're killing people. I mean, it really -- look, the only pandemic we have is among the unvaccinated. And they're killing people."

It was the only question Biden took before boarding Marine One to leave town for the weekend and follows comments by other Biden administration officials warning of the dangers of misinformation in combatting COVID-19.

On Thursday, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy issued the first public health advisory of the Biden administration to addresses an epidemic of misinformation and disinformation and its harmful impact on public health. The Biden administration is now calling on social media companies to take further action to combat misinformation around the COVID-19 vaccine.

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@Keleth - remember those campaigns of fear you were complaining about?    Here is your chance to see who greens this nonsense and make a stand.    

History is littered with authoritarian regimes who have restricted free speech during peace time to avoid criticism, under the guise of "protecting" the population from dangerous ideas.

So you think giving false information about Corona such as it doesn´t exist or it´s a govt bio weapon or that the vaccine is something that the NWO is using to trim down the population and bring you all under their control is a good example of non fear rhetoric ?

Have we seen cases where people catch the virus and then repent their previous conviction that it doesn´t exist which they believed after reading about it ?

Yes.

There as you know is no such thing as Free Speech because Free Speech is supposed to be able to let someone speak their opinion without censorship,legal action or retaliation.However that is never going to happen,you may be able to use Free Speech without legal action or censorship but someone is always going to retaliate be it through violent action or merely words.

Free Speech does not protect you from getting a smack in the mouth for your opinions.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

So you think giving false information about Corona such as it doesn´t exist or it´s a govt bio weapon or that the vaccine is something that the NWO is using to trim down the population and bring you all under their control is a good example of non fear rhetoric ?

Those are not the kinds of stories that are being censored.    Alex Berenson is a former New York Times Reporter.    The fringe can be dismissed.   It's the arguments from reputable people which are considered "dangerous" and undergo censorship.  

Have we seen cases where people catch the virus and then repent their previous conviction that it doesn´t exist which they believed after reading about it ?

Yes.

As far as I know, nobody on this board and nobody who is being censored has ever claimed that COVID-19 does not exist.  

There have been cases of people who dropped dead within days of being vaccinated only to find out that their social media timelines are filled with demands to jail or punish those who refuse the vax.    They cannot repent because they are dead, but who cares anyway?

There as you know is no such thing as Free Speech because Free Speech is supposed to be able to let someone speak their opinion without censorship,legal action or retaliation.However that is never going to happen,you may be able to use Free Speech without legal action or censorship but someone is always going to retaliate be it through violent action or merely words.

Free Speech does not protect you from getting a smack in the mouth for your opinions.

As these are private companies and social media has a bit of a different set of rules than traditional media, a philosophical discussion about free speech does not really interest me.   The fact that the government is actually silencing its critics, who have done nothing illegal, is disturbing.    If they get away with it, it opens the door to unlimited abuse.   

3 hours ago, balticus said:

Those are not the kinds of stories that are being censored.    Alex Berenson is a former New York Times Reporter.    The fringe can be dismissed.   It's the arguments from reputable people which are considered "dangerous" and undergo censorship.  

Examples ?

Nothing to do with Covid but you probably would have said the same thing when Wakefield was struck off.

Why do you use Berenson as an example,he has been shown time and time again to be wrong ?

As far as I know, nobody on this board and nobody who is being censored has ever claimed that COVID-19 does not exist.  

I didn´t realise Biden was talking about this board I thought he was talking about FB etc.

he fact that the government is actually silencing its critics, who have done nothing illegal, is disturbing. 

Examples ?

Biden refers to Merkel as the second largest Chancellor in German history.  

🤣😂

That'll go down like a house on fire on this forum!😂 I found it hilarious! 

Mind you, that geezer Helmut WAS large!!

Honestly, I think it is disgraceful what they are doing with this senile old man. 

He really should be in a home and not paraded around like this.

His handlers should be ashamed of themselves. 

:lol:

People often ask me why I'm still working at age 69. Same as President Biden - I need the money and am equally senile!😂

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

People often ask me why I'm still working at age 69. Same as President Biden - I need the money and am equally senile!😂

How do you manage the stairs when boarding the plane, John?

I hold on to as many stewardesses as possible and ask for forgiveness and ask for a gin and tonic. Noblesse oblige! It is easier now. Since Corona- only one set of steps to choose from!👍 My legs are fine.. it is my eyesight!😖

(And yes- I DO have a story about a posh Cambridge Professor I met😂)

But not here- that would be off-topic!

Just now, john g. said:

I hold on to as many stewardesses as possible and ask for forgiveness and ask for a gin and tonic. Noblesse oblige!

Mate, you are gonna get it right up the bum hole for saying "Stewardesses". 

It ain't the 1950s, John! 

Deliberate mistake, hellfire!😂

Azafatas! The Spanish word, then! Does that still work? Auxiliar de vuelo is the PC word. Boring. Sounds like something you keep in a First Aid kit.

Fly attendants ( male and female). Plenty of insects around at the moment. Flies, hornets, wasps.  Hot here! 37 C! Beach ( not the tree ) was great today!

And , no , I don't grope or disrespect flight attendants of any gender. Quite the opposite. I am always polite and friendly and don't care what they look like. They have their job to do. 

And I bet a lot of changes in job titles are not always to improve the dignity of someone's work but a subtle way to prevent a pay rise!  " Look how we have improved your status!". " Oh, yeah. Thank you, boss."

For the mentally  stiffly challenged on here- it is fine as an older person to laugh at your own weaknesses. It keeps you human. Ask your grandparents!

I'll ask Joe to spread the message the next time he tries to FaceTime me. I normally ignore the messages as he forgets the time zone difference between the USA and this village on Crete, where time doesn't exist!

And again remind him to reread One Hundred Years of Solitude ( Garcia Marquez). 

Better than Fox News or whatever!😂

For the record: I dislike Trump and Biden seems more civilized. So ok. But political satire is important to me. 

On 17/07/2021, 16:15:27, balticus said:

There have been cases of people who dropped dead within days of being vaccinated only to find out that their social media timelines are filled with demands to jail or punish those who refuse the vax.

If I had dropped dead, I don't think I would be in any position to find anything on my social media timeline

43 minutes ago, Mackle said:

If I had dropped dead, I don't think I would be in any position to find anything on my social media timeline

I'm not sure what is being inferred here, did the vaccination cause them to drop dead of their social media posts?

Do we know how long after the vaccination or their last post they dropped dead?

Is there a unit of anti-vaxxers going around assassinating people that have been vaccinated and have demanded jail time for anti-vaxxers?

The key point here is that someone's best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw someone drop dead after getting their coronavirus vaccine.

I guess it's pretty serious.