President Joseph R Biden Jr. 46th President of the United States

343 posts in this topic

If we want to get really really pedantic, don't let's forget the Caribbean plate, nor Greenland and over half of Iceland sitting on the North American plate!  All of your Inuit are belong to us. muahaha

7 hours ago, alderhill said:

Where do they teach that?

Europe.  More specifically, the country you currently reside in.  Your kid will come home talking about five continents and it will not be talking goo, that is what it will have learned at school.

Doesn't the Olympic symbol have 5 rings for the 5 continents?

5 continents and 7 seas me hearties...

1 minute ago, cb6dba said:

Doesn't the Olympic symbol have 5 rings for the 5 continents?

5 continents and 7 seas me hearties...

Technically 1 sea.

I can be pedantic as well ;) 

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How many stars does the Euro flag have now that the UK chose out?

Nice question for a pub quiz. The answer is 12 (no change), because the number of stars has nothing to do with the number of member states.

Back on topic ...    continuity from Trump administration to Biden administration on foreign policy.     Opposition to Nordstream II can be added to the list.   It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Iran deal and the softer line on NATO contributions/commitments when actions are required.  

Economist Stephen Roach questions Biden’s decision to keep Trump’s China policies

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/08/stephen-roach-questions-bidens-decision-to-keep-trumps-china-policies.html

Roach noted that Biden kept the “seriously flawed” phase one trade deal and the tariffs on China even though he reversed many other policies enacted by former President Donald Trump.

-----------------------

The Biden administration says it may restart construction of the border wall to fill 'gaps' left by Trump

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-restart-border-wall-construction-trump-pledge-gaps-2021-4?r=DE&IR=T

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Technically 1 sea.

I can be pedantic as well ;) 

Don't blame me, blame Robert Louis Stevenson.. 

(and other assorted pirate stories :lol:   )

Sorry to keep off topic, but this reminded me of the USians I met who were absolutely sure that Israel was in Africa.

... which in turn reminds me of the Germans who swore up and down that Minnesota is "under" California or DC is in the middle or whatever, and then actually proceeded to argue with me about it as if they would actually know better than I would.

This has happened several times.  Not once, not twice, not a few.  Several.

14 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

someone should really get a moderator in here to remind everybody to get back on topic.

Excellent point. Why is there never a moderator around when you want her, confound it? :) 

36 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Sorry to keep off topic, but this reminded me of the USians I met who were absolutely sure that Israel was in Africa.

Almost everyone everywhere is pretty ignorant of the world outside of their locality and news coverage.   

Many people believe that since they have extremely superficial knowledge of the US, usually through Hollywood movies or news, that US Americans should know the basics about their country. 

Hilarious.   

9 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

... which in turn reminds me of the Germans who swore up and down that Minnesota is "under" California or DC is in the middle or whatever, and then actually proceeded to argue with me about it as if they would actually know better than I would.

This has happened several times.  Not once, not twice, not a few.  Several.

It's a German thing...

I often get told that I'm pronouncing my surname incorrectly. 

If I want it to sound 'my way' then I need to change the spelling. 

Luckily, it's not tough or bough...

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

It's a German thing...

I often get told that I'm pronouncing my surname incorrectly. 

If I want it to sound 'my way' then I need to change the spelling. 

Luckily, it's not tough or bough...

I had that up until about 5 years ago. Now I either get asked how it should be pronounced or they just use either the english or german. 

I have never bothered correcting anyone to be honest, I just take it with a bit of Oasis soup. 

15 hours ago, Elljay said:

Well - next to Egypt, so not too far off... ;)

Pretty good considering other faulty maps.

https://atlasofprejudice.com/

7 minutes ago, tor said:

*clap clap clap* Both for the policy, and for Psaki not being a weasel.