President Joseph R Biden Jr. 46th President of the United States

343 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Are you forgetting that the UK chose not to be a part of Europe any more?

Country do not choose to be part of a continent.

The UK, choose to leave the EU, it cannot choose to leave the European continent 

Canada, cannot choose to leave the American continent, is part of the American continent.

Continents are geographic areas, not defined by counties, they have nothing to do with with how a country votes

So no one can secede from a continent just like Alcatraz can't secede from California?

I'll stop winding you up now.:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Presidents like Clinton & Obama balance the budget.

RUFKM?  Obama did not balance the budget. 

5 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

@Keleth Just a small point of order. American to describe US citizens is aggravating to Canadians, Mexicans and all of South america. All of whom consider themselves to be Americans living on either the North or South American continent. US citizens might not like USAnian, but it is more correct.

😂

Just a small point of order from someone who has lived in South America and somehow speaks Spanish pretty regularly, this aggravation is 99% contrived and simply a cover to justify anti-USAian hostility.    While i have heard some Spaniards refer to a US American as an Estadounidense, South Americans will quickly respond with  "norte Americano" and in written form  "norte American@" to be inclusive.  

And if the term "norte American@" seems to exclude  Canadians, Mexicans, the citizens or residents of other North American countries listed here.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_population and is only slightly less incorrect than "American@",   South Americans don't give a flying rat's tail. 

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

A lot USAnians also sew Canadian flags onto their backpacks so they're not recognised as USAnians.

I would guess that a lot of people on TT see that harassing a young US American backpacker who isn't necessarily political, as somehow justified rather than identifying it as prejudice based in ignorance.    

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

And Antartica is North American, European, Australian, South American, Russian and apologies to any continents I've forgotten.

You still got it wrong. There is no such continent as "Russia". Russia is located partly in Europe, partly in Asia.

Ukraine and Belarus are entirely in Europe, but no one calls them European (and this is offensive). By the way, Istanbul (Turkey) is both in Europe and Asia.

People say America, but mean United States. People say Europe, but mean "Western European countries which were allies of the USA during Cold War". 

I think MadAxe is referring to the original Antarctic Treaty signatories - which included the old USSR, UK , Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, France and Norway. Erm, South Africa, Japan, USA. 

Can’t remember if it has been superseded to add other States.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

RUFKM?  Obama did not balance the budget. 

😂

Just a small point of order from someone who has lived in South America and somehow speaks Spanish pretty regularly, this aggravation is 99% contrived and simply a cover to justify anti-USAian hostility.    While i have heard some Spaniards refer to a US American as an Estadounidense, South Americans will quickly respond with  "norte Americano" and in written form  "norte American@" to be inclusive.  

And if the term "norte American@" seems to exclude  Canadians, Mexicans, the citizens or residents of other North American countries listed here.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_population and is only slightly less incorrect than "American@",   South Americans don't give a flying rat's tail. 

I would guess that a lot of people on TT see that harassing a young US American backpacker who isn't necessarily political, as somehow justified rather than identifying it as prejudice based in ignorance.    

Referring to your last point specifically - I remember my backpacking days in Latin America ( before you were probably born 😂) and there were indeed plenty of young US guys and gals with Canadian flags stitched onto their backpacks. 

Done to be better safe than sorry. Should that have been necessary? 
Not in an ideal world. I cannot accept harassment of young people because of their nationality as if they were responsible for all the world’s ills in their 20’s. 

Had some unpleasant experiences myself, including one in which I rapidly claimed to be Swiss at a restaurant table. Better than being about to be stabbed.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

Referring to your last point specifically - I remember my backpacking days in Latin America ( before you were probably born 😂) and there were indeed plenty of young US guys and gals with Canadian flags stitched onto their backpacks. 

You are a few years older than i am, but quite a bit more mature.  ;) 

Done to be better safe than sorry. Should that have been necessary? 
Not in an ideal world. I cannot accept harassment of young people because of their nationality as if they were responsible for all the world’s ills in their 20’s. 

The world is a messy place as you know.   There are a few people on TT who have not grasped the idea that every bigot everywhere believes that their prejudice and hate is grounded in reason rather than emotion, differentiating them from the low class nativists, when indeed they are  the same.  

I’ve never been accused before of being mature! Take that back!😂( please- older generation here!!!)

You are a scholar and a gentleman, MadAxe!❤️
( Unlike me!😂)

I am a semi- literate Southend United supporter and will not mature until they do! ( Which is never- have you checked their league position?)

😂

2 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I object in the strongest possible terms, this dreadful slur upon @john g.'s character

He is not mature.

After you meet me, you might regard my comment as a gross understatement.    ;) 

I keep re-reading your post, balticus , but there are too many long words in it and I am baffled as to its meaning. But I will try again tomorrow!😂

Just now, john g. said:

I keep re-reading your post, balticus , but there are too many long words in it and I am baffled as to its meaning. But I will try again tomorrow!😂

hahahaha

One of these days, you are going to announce that you are in Hamburg and holding court  at a happy hour and i plan to attend.    Your stomach will hurt for days from laughing  so hard.

That is all.    

You have been warned.   😂

12 minutes ago, john g. said:

Put him on ignore and TT makes sense again ;) 

And too many short words in your post,  Janx!

What does TT mean?😂

9 minutes ago, john g. said:

And too many short words in your post,  Janx!

What does TT mean?😂

Tired Trying? ;) 

On 4/11/2021, 1:03:12, MadAxeMurderer said:

@Keleth Just a small point of order. American to describe US citizens is aggravating to Canadians, Mexicans and all of South america. All of whom consider themselves to be Americans living on either the North or South American continent. US citizens might not like USAnian, but it is more correct.

Just to be pedantic, I can 100% gaurantee you that no Canadian uses the term American to refer to themselves. For us, or let's say 99% of us (we do have some Latin American immigration), American means US of Americans. Whoever is south of us is welcome to debate it. Latin Americans can fight over it too, as it is a reflection of their language and history. But again, it's a status label no Canadian is clamouring for. It's not so much offensive as just wrong. Canadians will assume you're lumping us (although I know that most people cannot tell the difference just by accent, but eh, that's our problem).

We would say "North American" if we meant the two (plus Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, etc. and where ever one draws the line in the Caribbean).  

22 hours ago, yesterday said:

Canada, cannot choose to leave the American continent, is part of the American continent.

I agree with you, but since I am on pedantic roll, Canada is part of the North American continent. There is no one single American continent. One can say the Americas as another way of saying Western hemisphere, though. And if we get down to plate tectonics, it's even messier, with the Caribbean and Nasca plates causing the occasional volcano and/or earthquake.

2 minutes ago, alderhill said:

There is no one single American continent. One can say the Americas as another way of saying Western hemisphere, though. And if we get down to plate tectonics, it's even messier, with the Caribbean and Nasca plates causing the occasional volcano and/or earthquake.

Of course there is one single American continent ... to some people.

The problem is there is no unique Continents Model taught universally, instead there are several models, one is the model with 4 continents, one with 5 continents, there is a couple of models with 6 continents and a couple of models with 7 continents.  In some models America is one continent, in other models America is two continents.

I myself learnt there are 5 continents and America is a single continent and I am an Americano.

So discussing this is a moot point.   Because everyone is right (according to his local continents definition).

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Of course there is one single American continent ... to some people.

Errr, only for those who didn't pay attention in geography! It's a plain geologic thing, for me. The two continents are very much not the same, just look at a map of tectonic plates. Panama only touched the South American mainland about 3 million years ago. 

But geology aside, yes, everything else is political or human imagination one way or the other, you are right.

In some models America is one continent, in other models America is two continents.

Though this is absolutely bizarre to me. Tectonic plates, man! Oceanic plates or plates with only minor land mass tend to be ignored, so we can too. But the two major American plates are clear to see. 

What's interesting is Zealandia (name gives a hint), a mostly submerged continent that is often not thought of as such. 

I myself learnt there are 5 continents and America is a single continent and I am an Americano.

Where do they teach that? 🤔 I once had a colleague (intern) from Colombia, and she refered to Canada as Americans, which from the context she meant in opposition to Europeans, a sort of New World/Old World classification. I am familiar with the 'debate' and claiming of the word in some Spanish speaking Latin American (hey ho, another categoty) countries, but I did tell her that in Canada, people would be a bit insulted.

On the topic of people putting Canadian flags on their gear when travelling, it is something I've never done as I find it a little embarrassing. But once, years ago, I ran into a young American couple at a hostel doing just that. I heard them speaking in the common room and was immediately a bit suspicious, or just thought it was funny because their accents sounded, well, Californian. I saw the patches and asked where they were from, they made a mistake and said "uh, near Toronto". So I said oh cool, I'm from there, whereabouts? They tried to dither and said Ontario (the name of the province), but I guess by my looks they knew the gig was up, and soon smirked and admitted they were from LA. Very few Canadians say hella, stoked or have that distintive California surfer stoner valley intonation thing. But they were nice otherwise.