President Joseph R Biden Jr. 46th President of the United States

316 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

The USA has 0 soft power left. The USA is feared. Their military is awesome, and punitive.

But they cannot be trusted

And will not be respected.

It has only been 100 days. Let's see if the Biden admin can turn it around, at least some.

@fraufruit It's no longer individual presidents, it's the system and the voters.

Yes Biden is a good president, taking lots of inspired and good steps. But in 4 years the US electorate might elect Gaetz, or Pompeo, or Barr, or even Trump again. I mean come on. The congress and senate tried twice and could not even impeach Trump.  And it was the USAnian people who elected the congress & senate.

USAnians choose to be governed by their politicians. They have democracy unlike say China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Myanmar.

And whatever good Biden does: treaties with Iran, North Korea, environmental legislation, higher taxes on the rich.

Can be undone in 30 days by the next president. Just like Trump systematically tried to tear down everything Obama did.

And on top of this. The US electorate applauds tax cuts.

Presidents like Clinton & Obama balance the budget. Then Republicans run on a platform of tax cuts for the rich and win. 

They are applauded for their brave & inspired tax cuts.

To me balancing the budget is an achievement. Cutting taxes & running a huge deficit might be populist. But why is it an achievement?

I have to go along with MAM here.

Trump tried to undo all Obamas work and now Biden is trying to undo all of Trumps work.

I think the world will look at the USA solely in regards to who is in power rather than look at it as being the land of the free,democracy etc etc.

As stated if the USA keeps voting in people such as Reagan,Trump etc then why should anyone trust Americans.The UK is heading down this road and I feel a lot of people will stop trusting them as a country.

Why should anyone trust a country that despite so many shootings rails against tighter gun controls.

Why should anyone trust a country that doesn`t see a problem with people not have access without major funds to decent healthcare.

Why should anyone trust a country that spends billions on defence but won´t replace poisonous lead pipes.(this looks like it may change under Biden) or provide said healthcare.

There is many more things you could list which says it all really.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I still have hope. Have to to keep my sanity.

Still got it then ?

Really ?

You sure ?

;)

@Keleth Just a small point of order. American to describe US citizens is aggravating to Canadians, Mexicans and all of South america. All of whom consider themselves to be Americans living on either the North or South American continent. US citizens might not like USAnian, but it is more correct.

@fraufruit Sure hang onto hope. At least you have that after losing your sanity years ago when you became my friend :)

But as Keleth quite eloquently pointed out: It's not the president, it's the system. Especially the idea that everybody from judges, to prosecutors to presidents must be elected. 

So judges and prosecutors are in the pockets of the businessmen who financed their campaign. And they expect payback when their factories want to dump mercury in the rivers, or an executive was caught naked with a 4 year old.

Right now I'm exaggerating. Having a judge in your pocket will allow you to dump nasty chemicals, but not mercury, and you might escape being naked with an 18 year old, but even USA judges cannot be relied on for payback if you're in a compromising position with a 4 year old. 

25 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Just a small point of order. American to describe US citizens is aggravating to Canadians, Mexicans and all of South america. All of whom consider themselves to be Americans living on either the North or South American continent. US citizens might not like USAnian, but it is more correct.

Only if you really want to split hairs, MAM. Citizens of Canada are "Canadians". Citizens of (the United States of) Mexico are "Mexicans". Likewise with Guatemalans, Peruvians, Chileans, Panamanians, etc.

Citizens of the United States of America are logically called "Americans".

@El JeffoYou must be USAnian to have an attitude like that.

It would be like Germany was called Europe. 

Now there are Europeans (Germans), French, Dutch, Spanish, Polish etc all of which live on The European continent.

But are not Europeans because only Germans are European.

Mein Gott! It would be enough to make you rename the citizens of Germany Deutscher so every citizen of a country in Europe could call themselves European.

@MadAxeMurderer: For most of the past several decades, most Canadians I've encountered would be upset if you called them "American": They even sew large Canadian flags to their backpacks so they're not mistaken for Americans. They know they're North Americans, but so does the rest of the world, so they don't really need to advertise that fact.

What does that prove? 

A lot USAnians also sew Canadian flags onto their backpacks so they're not recognised as USAnians.

Although I do think it's more those who identify as South american that are irate that the name of their continent describes US citizens.

As a dual citizen- my Canadian passport does not state I am American!! No Canadian I know would accept being called American.

. Yes, Canada is in North America, but that is the geographical continent.

and there many UK Brexiters, that would quite happily punch you in the face, if you called then a EUROPEAN. Even though, UK is part on the European continent.

12 minutes ago, yesterday said:

UK is part on the European continent.

Nope. It's an island and doesn't even get to pretend to be part of Europe now.B)

What on earth does the UK's European status have to do with President Biden?

Can't you peeps stay on topic!

I've a mind to report the lot of you, starting with myself.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Nope. It's an island and doesn't even get to pretend to be part of Europe now.B)

Ireland is also an island further out in the Atlantic, but very much part of Europe ;)

Also, talking about punches in faces, try calling an Irish person British, or even worse, English :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Nope, see any map of European continent and the UK is on it  Europe Map / Map of Europe - Facts, Geography, History of Europe - Worldatlas.com

even Iceland is part of  Europe

Are you saying that  Alcatraz, is not in the American continent because its not connected by Land ?

Or even  Staten Island, because its not connected by land ?

I am sure there are many large islands, very close to the US, that are counted at American continent

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Are you forgetting that the UK chose not to be a part of Europe any more?

But not forgetting that Scotland and NI chose to stay in EU.  So a not very united kingdom.

Switzerland and Iceland who are not part of the EU are most definitely European. 

Ireland is the most enthusiastically EU. We have to be after getting billions in subsidy. 

Greenland is part of the EU but probably not european

Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion, and Mayott are French, thus EU but certainly not European. 

And Antartica is North American, European, Australian, South American, Russian and apologies to any continents I've forgotten.