Lufthansa voucher - destination unknown?!

59 posts in this topic

Hi TTers,

We decided to cancel our holiday last summer as the destination where we planned to go had a very severe covid situation.  Bad luck that the flights in Lufthansa wasn't cancelled and we weren't eligible for a refund, but rather a voucher to be redeemed before Jan 31 2021, for travel dates upto December 31, 2021.  In case we do not rebook, we lose the money and there is no chance for a further change.

The amount stuck up is quite huge (for us!) and it pinches me to let it go ...so looking for some advice on the places which would be a safe bet even if vaccine isn't implemented for all.  I am aware that the current situation is volatile and it is hardly possible to predict anything .. the mutant is making it worse.. as I haven't made any progress with my research, hope you guys can help me out.

TIA!

It is not safe to travel anywhere and I doubt it will be so before the end of the month. How can one make travel plans for the whole of 2021 at this point?

I would go back to them for a refund at this point. Have you tried?

As Frooty said Go for the refund. Stay home and stay safe.

I am in the exact same situation with a voucher from Lufthansa and needing to rebook something by the end of the month.  Have you called Lufthansa to ask if it would be possible to extend the voucher, or if you book something and need to cancel again, that the fare won't be lost?  That is my plan to do.  

For others, I do not believe Lufthansa will refund as they wouldn't do it in the first place since the flight was not canceled, and the ticket fare I bought was non-refundable. 

Otherwise, I was thinking the only option may be to book something for the end of the year (like October-December) back to my home country (USA) hoping that by that point enough people will be vaccinated and travel restrictions may be lifted. I can't think about booking a vacation anywhere else at this point. 

However, I'm still not sure that is the better route to take. 

Otherwise, I was thinking the only option may be to book something for the end of the year (like October-December) back to my home country (USA) hoping that by that point enough people will be vaccinated and travel restrictions may be lifted.

What "travel restrictions" are you talking about?

If you are a US citizen AND hold a valid Germany residence permit, there are no travel restrictions.  You can come and go as you please, as long as you follow the Safety Rules in both countries.  If you follow the rules about testing and the like, you cannot be denied entry into either the US or Germany.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

What "travel restrictions" are you talking about?

You're correct on current restrictions.  I suppose I was using the term generally to imply any travel restrictions as we don't know what the world will look like 10 months from now as it relates to travel.

1 hour ago, jill_ said:

You're correct on current restrictions.  I suppose I was using the term generally to imply any travel restrictions as we don't know what the world will look like 10 months from now as it relates to travel.

I disagree.  I think we do know what the world will look like 10 months from now as it relates to travel.  Successful economies are based on the free movement of goods and people.  The current situation is unsustainable, and if it continues for another year economies will collapse, which will kill off more people than the pandemic could accomplish.

I can see travel restrictions as they currently are staying in place through Spring, but dramatically eased in time for Summer holidays.  If they are not, people will revolt.

One of my customers is a travel industry giant, and they have told me that millions of Europeans are making travel plans for Summer.  In fact, most of the popular vacation destinations are already completely booked.

I've heard that flying will get more risky with the new Covid variants that are coming out.

Just because I can fly doesn't mean I will until I feel comfortable. No airline can tell me when that will be.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've heard that flying will get more risky with the new Covid variants that are coming out.

Just because I can fly doesn't mean I will until I feel comfortable. No airline can tell me when that will be.

That's probably correct - travel and socializing will likely get more risky.  The 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu was the most deadly.

Nevertheless - wholesale lockdowns and restrictions cannot be sustained.  If the current and near-term lockdowns/restrictions fail to control spread, there will be a tipping point where economic survival will outweigh everything else.

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

economic survival   comes before survival, but I hope things get better towards late summer

Collapsed economies lead to global war, famines, civil unrest, and the re-emergence of other diseases.

18 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

One of my customers is a travel industry giant, and they have told me that millions of Europeans are making travel plans for Summer. 

:lol::lol:

16 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

there will be a tipping point where economic survival will outweigh everything else.

Then all the seniors will be vaccinated and still drawing their pensions.

Survival of the fittest.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Survival of the fittest.

Let's hope so.  The Pension system is a pyramid scheme, based on current contributions.  The current workers fund the Pensions of the retired workers.

Due to the pandemic, lots of people are losing their jobs.  Pyramid schemes dry up really fast when they lose fresh capital.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

But only till the injected chip is told to switch you off...   

2 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Let's hope so.  The Pension system is a pyramid scheme, based on current contributions.  The current workers fund the Pensions of the retired workers.

Due to the pandemic, lots of people are losing their jobs.  Pyramid schemes dry up really fast when they lose fresh capital.

:lol:

The comedy here is huge!...

Just now, fraufruit said:

OK. They will have to live from their investments then.

It doesn't work like that.

I, along with 10,000 of my colleagues in Europe, am losing my job this year.  Due to the pandemic, there are no new jobs we can go to.  And that is just one firm out of many.

We are going to put massive stress on the Unemployment Insurance system, and during that time we will not be contributing to the Pension fund.  We, as a group, are some of the most highly paid people in Europe.  This will do major damage.

One of the things that gets triggered when an economy collapses is massive inflation.  Massive inflation makes investments essentially worthless.

3 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

It We, as a group, are some of the most highly paid people in Europe.  This will do major damage.

Then its a good job you saved your high sallary.. if you didnt, then maybe your ex-wife will support you.. then you dont become a burden on the german system...

31 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

It doesn't work like that.

I, along with 10,000 of my colleagues in Europe, am losing my job this year.  Due to the pandemic, there are no new jobs we can go to.  And that is just one firm out of many.

We are going to put massive stress on the Unemployment Insurance system, and during that time we will not be contributing to the Pension fund.  We, as a group, are some of the most highly paid people in Europe.  This will do major damage.

One of the things that gets triggered when an economy collapses is massive inflation.  Massive inflation makes investments essentially worthless.

that.. depends entirely of what investments you’re talking about. Unless you’re talking about the end of civilization as we know it even common stock is a decent inflation hedge, as corporate profits rise up in periods of high inflation. Real estate is also a good hedge, as well as commodities and obviously  TIPS ETFs - the last one I don’t own but would buy if really paranoid.

I guess that when hiding  €€ under the pillow is your favorite investment then inflation is all sorts of scary (not saying it’s your case).

In what industry are you?