How long can I stay in Germany?

68 posts in this topic

Wow.

You did good. Out of idle curiosity, are you cutting hair or doing computery stuff?

1 hour ago, Bobbyhall said:

I have been given a residence permit valid for 10 years, within 5 available to apply for unlimited.

I did not get married, I found a job within my field regardless of a formal qualification. 

thanks for the update, and congratulations! 

That is really interesting, that you got a 10 years Aufenthaltserlaubnis right away! Did they explain why they gave you that much? 
So far, the most I've ever seen was 3 years to begin with - for a person who spoke excellent German, was married to a German, and had a job contract in hand.

Everybody else usually gets 3-6 months on their first permit, which is then extended (if they still have job, spouse, or study) for another 1-2 years, maybe even twice - until they get to the 5 years residence and can then apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis  (unlimited) if they can prove a B1-level knowledge of German. 

So, are these 10-year-permits a new thing, perhaps for "Brexit victims"?

11 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Out of idle curiosity, are you cutting hair or doing computery stuff?

"cutting hair" and "doing computer stuff" are not mutually exclusive ;) I do both (hair cut for fun, computer stuff for money)

23 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

thanks for the update, and congratulations! 

That is really interesting, that you got a 10 years Aufenthaltserlaubnis right away! Did they explain why they gave you that much? 
So far, the most I've ever seen was 3 years to begin with - for a person who spoke excellent German, was married to a German, and had a job contract in hand.

Everybody else usually gets 3-6 months on their first permit, which is then extended (if they still have job, spouse, or study) for another 1-2 years, maybe even twice - until they get to the 5 years residence and can then apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis  (unlimited) if they can prove a B1-level knowledge of German. 

So, are these 10-year-permits a new thing, perhaps for "Brexit victims"?

They did not explain why and I was not going to question why, I smiled (under my FFP2 mask) and nodded. 

I also did not expect to be given as long a permit I thought it may have been between 1-2 years.

Very lucky I am sure.

I provided a job contract in my previous meeting there and I can only assume due to my arrival being before the 1st of January that I fall under the withdrawal agreement as there were questions as to my passport not having a stamp on it. 

I am cutting hair here in Hannover, I have seen a “computery stuff” course that I hope to pursue in the future. 

My German has improved a lot since coming into the shop. Although some like to practice their English. 

13 minutes ago, Bobbyhall said:

They did not explain why and I was not going to question why, I smiled (under my FFP2 mask) and nodded. 

The more stories I hear, coupled with our own experience, the more it appears to me that the individual ABH and Beamter have a great deal of leeway.  Before our initial one year permit was up, no questions asked, we received a 3 year renewal and also walked out quietly chuckling.  

13 minutes ago, Bobbyhall said:

My German has improved a lot since coming into the shop. Although some like to practice their English. 

That’s wonderful, and thanks for sharing this nice news.  🥳 

2 hours ago, Bobbyhall said:

They did not explain why and I was not going to question why,

Very wise ;)

So glad it worked out well.

3 hours ago, Bobbyhall said:

I provided a job contract in my previous meeting there and I can only assume due to my arrival being before the 1st of January that I fall under the withdrawal agreement as there were questions as to my passport not having a stamp on it. 

It does sound like it. Does the card say GB on it because I understood the ones we get under the WA are specific Aufenthaltsdokument-GB to distinguish us from other third-country scum. (I wouldn't know as I'm still waiting for an appointment).

Glad it worked out for you. Also I'm glad the doom mongers on here were wrong ;-).

Having only been there this morning my hard copy card will take 6-8 weeks so im

not sure if it will say GB on it but will let you know. 

All 4 visits I made to the Ausländerbehörde in regards to which category I fell into seemed to confuse those who took my appointment. Purely because of the lack of a stamp to say I arrived post-Brexit. Even other colleagues in the room hadn’t the slightest as it hadn’t happened as of yet and the question was passed around. I’m sure they have 10 copies of my passport now excluding the emails I’ve sent them.

I would say if you are waiting to hear back and don’t within a week make another appointment as things seem to move faster when you discuss in person. 

I checked every Monday at 8am when the new appointments were released online to get one.