How long can I stay in Germany?

68 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

But you know this beforehand and can control it. If you want a specific person  to inherit your house and not to pay more rather than less tax, you marry the person.  What's missing?

Tricky if you want your sibling to inherit it.

31 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Tricky if you want your sibling to inherit it.

I agree, I'm afraid.

You campaigning for this? If you do, I will support it!

To be able to take advantage of post Brexit rights in rhe Withdrawal Agreement, you needed to have been formally registered by 31st December 2020. Without this it doesn't matter that you were an EU cituzen when you arrived

That train has now unfortunately left, together with easy recognition of qualifications, right to indefinite stay without visas etc etc. The UK is firmly a third country now and to stay you have to go through all the same hoops as other non EU citizens as people have outlined above.

Sorry, for clarity I was replying to the question posed on Saturday 

"Technically I did arrive in Germany before the 31/12/2020. Will this stand me in good stead haha? 

Or should I have been registered before this date?"

20 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Under German law, no matter how long you cohabitate with your partner, you are not afforded the same rights (from immigration to taxation) as married couples. If you want to enjoy those rights, you have to get legally married.

Don´t forget inheritance law (as my girlfriend´s mother found out the hard way after living with her partner for 49 years).

18 hours ago, Gambatte said:

But you know this beforehand and can control it. If you want a specific person  to inherit your house and not to pay more rather than less tax, you marry the person.

What's missing?

In some cases a divorce.:lol:

On 18/01/2021, 15:37:59, Feierabend said:

To be able to take advantage of post Brexit rights in rhe Withdrawal Agreement, you needed to have been formally registered by 31st December 2020. Without this it doesn't matter that you were an EU cituzen when you arrived

That can't be true as it obviously takes some time to get registered - I've heard of it taking months in Berlin, and that was before Corona. There must be people that haven't been able to register yet but were permanently living here before the deadline.

6 minutes ago, Dembo said:

That can't be true as it obviously takes some time to get registered - I've heard of it taking months in Berlin, and that was before Corona. There must be people that haven't been able to register yet but were permanently living here before the deadline.

It is not just a matter or registering, to qualify under the Withdrawal Agreement it is necessary that British citizens met all the criteria of one of the Freedom of Movement categories. 

3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

It is not just a matter or registering, to qualify under the Withdrawal Agreement it is necessary that British citizens met all the criteria of one of the Freedom of Movement categories. 

Which IIRC includes looking for work, at least for a certain period.

If the OP does the Anmeldung getting someone to sign the form with his date of arrival, and then next week finds a job, why would he have a problem? Seems like he should get the Aufenthaltsdokument-GB like the rest of us. 

13 minutes ago, Dembo said:

If the OP does the Anmeldung getting someone to sign the form with his date of arrival, and then next week finds a job, why would he have a problem? Seems like he should get the Aufenthaltsdokument-GB like the rest of us. 

I disagree. That ship has sailed. 

9 hours ago, Dembo said:

I guess this would be true if he could prove that he tried to make an appointment back in 2020. Here in Cyprus I had the problem of not getting an appointment within the 90 day period you´re supposed to register and they gave me written confirmation that I had made an appointment. That confirmation served as sort of Fiktionsbescheinigung. I´d be very surprised if there was no similar rule in Germany.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I guess this would be true if he could prove that he tried to make an appointment back in 2020. Here in Cyprus I had the problem of not getting an appointment within the 90 day period you´re supposed to register and they gave me written confirmation that I had made an appointment. That confirmation served as sort of Fiktionsbescheinigung. I´d be very surprised if there was no similar rule in Germany.

That ship obviously has sailed, but Brexit aside, normally you're meant to register within 2 weeks (I think - I've heard various different numbers). It took me over 2 weeks because I had to wait for the Vermeterin to come back from holiday and sign the form, but the date on the system is the date I arrived (from the form she signed). We've only had 10 working days this year so it's not unreasonable that someone who arrived at the end of last year would leave it this long and with Corona they're not going to be handing out fines. I agree it might look a bit suspicious, and it would have been better to have made an appointment before, but in the OP's case it's true: he was here before the end the year and therefore should be registered with an arrival date before the deadline for keeping FOM rights.

Once it's gone it's gone forever, so it would be foolish not to try. FOM never meant you have the right to doss around indefinitely, but if he wants to stay then he'll be in a better position with this status than as a third party national.  

The first available appointment I can get to register is at the end of March. I have an appointment with Ausländerbehörde next week to explain my situation, as the 90 day period would have been over by then I did not want to make the appointment. 

In terms of finding a job because of Corona this is almost impossible with everything being closed or working from home.

I’ve found an online course that I’d been looking to do to better my chances at gaining employment here. Does that count as studying if I also had enough funds to support myself whilst living here? 

1 hour ago, Bobbyhall said:

I’ve found an online course that I’d been looking to do to better my chances at gaining employment here. Does that count as studying if I also had enough funds to support myself whilst living here? 

here's what counts as "studying":

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/service/visa-und-aufenthalt/schulbesuch-studium-sprachkurs-in-deutschland/2230586

if your "online course" is one of the certified German courses from Goethe-Institut (which would end in you obtaining a language certificate for German) it might be good enough for your purpose.

22 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

here's what counts as "studying":

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/service/visa-und-aufenthalt/schulbesuch-studium-sprachkurs-in-deutschland/2230586

if your "online course" is one of the certified German courses from Goethe-Institut (which would end in you obtaining a language certificate for German) it might be good enough for your purpose.

I thought that only an intensive in-person language course was enough to get a language student visa.

For the OP...please let us know if an online course is enough.

2 hours ago, UpToWick said:

I thought that only an intensive in-person language course was enough to get a language student visa.

For the OP...please let us know if an online course is enough.

yes, I think you're right. Especially since he wouldn't have to be in Germany for an online course.

Problem right now, with this COVID-19 mess ongoing, is there will be no "in-person" courses available any time soon.

So I thought I’d post an update to the thread after being to the Ausländerbehörde this morning. 

I have been given a residence permit valid for 10 years, within 5 available to apply for unlimited.

I did not get married, I found a job within my field regardless of a formal qualification. 

Thank you to anyone who replied to this thread with useful rather than smug and entitled information. 

BH 

6 minutes ago, Bobbyhall said:

So I thought I’d post an update to the thread after being to the Ausländerbehörde this morning. 

I have been given a residence permit valid for 10 years, within 5 available to apply for unlimited.

I did not get married, I found a job within my field regardless of a formal qualification. 

Thank you to anyone who replied to this thread with useful rather than smug and entitled information. 

BH 

Glad to hear it Bobby, glad all worked out for you.

Although you realize that now you can stay, you are required to change your tone to smug and entitled :lol:

I'd say information, but i wouldn't wan to cramp any style that develops, information is usually optional B)  

20 minutes ago, Bobbyhall said:

BH 

Holy 10 years! Is this some special treatment for Brits? I only got 3 when I came here as a Canadian... and I was thankful since I heard some were getting 6 months- 1 yr. 

9 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Glad to hear it Bobby, glad all worked out for you.

Although you realize that now you can stay, you are required to change your tone to smug and entitled :lol:

I'd say information, but i wouldn't wan to cramp any style that develops, information is usually optional B)  

Yeah I realise the post comes across smug which was intended to be honest after receiving some unwelcoming cold information.

Thankfully not everyone on this forum is that way inclined, I do really appreciate all the welcome friendly and some humorous advice offered here. As it should be considering this is a forum for people who are unsure of protocol. They come here for help not to be made to feel small and stupid. 

BH