Garden irrigation system - drip or perlschlauch - pressure question

66 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, scook17 said:

I bought one and it suffered last year from red leaves with dark red spots. Some disease I presume, but have no idea what to treat it with. How do you look after your peach trees?

That’s probably peach leaf curl and is very common on most peach trees. It is a fungal disease which is very hard to combat, but fortunately doesn’t really affect the fruits. The recommended treatment is to spray a suitable fungicide at a very specific time of year - late winter/early spring, as the buds swell and break. It is unfortunately not a cure and sometimes doesn’t even work effectively. There are supposed more resistant varieties of peach trees but I haven’t any experience with those.

Pruning is essential for peach and other stone fruit trees. There are quite a few good YouTube videos on how to do this. Well worth a look.

One of the best pruning channels (in German) I have found so far is Bauschule Schreiber. The Austrian dialect might be difficult to understand though. But they have videos on a wide range of topics and they clear up a whole lot of myths around pruning that some of the oldtimers still cling to. 

Baum- u. Rebschule Schreiber - YouTube  

I have grown fruit and vegetables for quite a few years. Had success with some - pumpkin, zucchini ,tomatoes, beans, physalis, mirabelles, currants, strawberries, not so much with others - gooseberries, cucumbers & apples - and of course there were spectacular failures - all cabbages: red, white, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, romanesco.

We lost our allotment last year, which was a shame, but it led to us buying a field which we have just planted with a whole lot of fruit trees and shrubs. I hestitated in the past because we never knew hoe much longer we would be able to keep it. We also managed to buy a fenced garden next to it where I'll plant the tomatoes etc. Ownership won't be transferred until 1 June so they will have to make do with the pots until then. 

11 hours ago, maxie said:

One of the best pruning channels (in German) I have found so far is Bauschule Schreiber. The Austrian dialect might be difficult to understand though. But they have videos on a wide range of topics and they clear up a whole lot of myths around pruning that some of the oldtimers still cling to. 

Baum- u. Rebschule Schreiber - YouTube  

Yes! I’ve seen those videos and have learned a thing or two from them.

Broccoli and cauliflower seem to suffer badly from white flies in my area. I’ve found that I enjoy broccoli/cauliflower leaves more than the florets. Radish greens are also great as stir fry veg. Cucumbers/gherkins are dead easy as are zucchini/courgettes. Basil is extremely rewarding, as is coriander. 

For me fantastic results for apples, cherries, strawberries, peas, lettuce, zucchini

Got tons of tomatoes the first year I tried, 2yr ago. Last year instead lost them all to blight, too much summer rain.

Never got luck with chilies instead. Don't even understand even why. This year they started well but they already look poor.

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Never got luck with chilies instead

I planted about 10 different kinds five(?) years ago and they turned out great. The habaneros were really mean :D But I have also had years with nothing much. Same with the physalis. 

11 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Broccoli and cauliflower seem to suffer badly from white flies in my area

One year it was the rabbits, then we had white flies and the next year they all shot up immediately, for some reason. After that I gave up...