Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cigarette smoking in grocery stores by employees

21 posts in this topic

I have lived in Germany long enough to have experienced the revolution of no smoking in restaurants. I have not, however, experienced that the law impacted smoking by employees of my local Edeka and Aldi.

I walk through waves of smoke coming from both break rooms in Edeka, twice per shopping trip.  At Aldi, there's no basement but they smoke cigarettes in the food storage room, backstage where they bake the bread nowadays. You cannot circle the store without being forced through the employee smoking area *IN* Aldi.

I don't understand the loophole in the law that allows employees to smoke in grocery stores, but not customers. I used to smoke, but now appreciate giving customers clean"er" air where they buy their vegetables.

Please explain. I think this is my first Toytown post.

3 hours ago, lytha said:

Please explain. I think this is my first Toytown post.

I don't, but whatever. 

First Toytown post with a plus one for the post and 22 rep, joined in 2007..

I can't quite out my finger on it, but something just doesn't add up here.. 

Best thing here would be to report the store to a branch office or main office.

I think he means it's his first *topic*.

I remember this user from back in the day and I can see perfectly normal posts they made ten years ago, to do with horse riding, grocery stores, and smoking in public.

Put away the pitchforks, people.  Jesus.

4 hours ago, lytha said:

I walk through waves of smoke coming from both break rooms in Edeka, twice per shopping trip.  At Aldi, there's no basement but they smoke cigarettes in the food storage room, backstage where they bake the bread nowadays. You cannot circle the store without being forced through the employee smoking area *IN* Aldi.

That's weird, considering how thoroughly Germany has banned smoking in restaurants, stores, and many public areas.

Go and report them.

4 hours ago, lytha said:

I have lived in Germany long enough to have experienced the revolution of no smoking in restaurants. I have not, however, experienced that the law impacted smoking by employees of my local Edeka and Aldi.

In Berlin it's just the opposite (kind of).  You can still smoke in bars and in certain restaurants, but I have never in all my time here noticed cigarette smoke coming from inside a grocery store.  (Although when I first moved here you could still smoke in the mall, including the bakery located ten meters from the produce section of the grocery store.)  Have seen them stepping out the side door where the pfand/getränke delivery comes in and out.  I don't know that you can do anything about them smoking in their break room? 

If it reeeeeeally bothers you then ask to speak to the manager.  But you're probably not the first one to notice it.  

Pitchfork?

Please, given my build I use a trident, I'd use a torch but it keeps going out... 

Report to main office, branch office or manager... Although, I'd expect any manager you can see and complain to will also be in the shop, an as such not have a problem with it...

I'm calling it a pitchfork because you apparently did not even bother to check where the green came from before jumping to conclusions.  Old users come back to check in all the time, it would be nice if they wouldn't be discouraged from posting straight off the bat.  Please and thank you.

13 hours ago, lytha said:

I don't understand the loophole in the law that allows employees to smoke in grocery stores, but not customers.

Life is not perfect, nor is it fair. The law cannot foresee or accommodate for every little situation (although we seem to be getting there fast). And then it needs implementing - otherwise it's useless. I hate cigarette smoke. But it is part of life.

Live and let live? Don't sweat the small stuff? First world problem? Click bait? Like Tor, I smell a bit of a rat...

Speak to the Manager. Even when they allowed smoking in restaurants non-smokers would never have to walk through the smoking area to get to the non-smoking area.

Thanks for the help, and for the help I got via PM. I'll contact Aldi but I'll have to let it go with Edeka because if I understand correctly they are a franchise and have more freedom. The manager of my Edeka definitely knows about it and most likely enjoys that freedom along with the employees.

2 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

Even when they allowed smoking in restaurants non-smokers would never have to walk through the smoking area to get to the non-smoking area.

During the transition period where restaurants were allowed to have a smoking room, a restaurant in my town flipped that around and made a non-smoking room. With the door left open. It was ridiculous, and didn't last long. However it's easier to avoid a restaurant than a grocery store.

42 minutes ago, lytha said:

Thanks for the help, and for the help I got via PM. I'll contact Aldi but I'll have to let it go with Edeka because if I understand correctly they are a franchise and have more freedom. The manager of my Edeka definitely knows about it and most likely enjoys that freedom along with the employees.

There is no harm in contacting the Edeka HQ, it is still their brandname.  

but they smoke cigarettes in the food storage room, backstage where they bake the bread nowadays.

That is definitely not allowed and is contaminating the baked goods. Under normal circumstances the Gesundheitsamt would be responsible, but they have other issues at the moment. 

2 hours ago, lytha said:

During the transition period where restaurants were allowed to have a smoking room, a restaurant in my town flipped that around and made a non-smoking room. With the door left open. It was ridiculous, and didn't last long. However it's easier to avoid a restaurant than a grocery store.

A few years and a city ago, I daily passed by a small stand-alone kiosk that had a small tented-off area attached directly to a side door, with a table and a few chairs under it. Meeting point for neighbourhood football boozers (a few blocks away from the stadium) to drink and smoke. The whole place was always filled with strong cigarette haze, and smelled from half a block away. Even as a smoker at the time, I found it pretty revolting. Always wondered if/how that was allowed. It was a kiosk, after all, though kind of a Späti, too.

As others said, you have good grounds to complain to Edeka HQ. Just do it.

Update: Both Edeka and Aldi emailed me and told me that smoking is not allowed in their stores and they would remind their employees.

A month later, there're stll smoking at both stores. Oh well.

On 12.1.2021, 13:39:45, alderhill said:

Not sure if it would work, but making a formal complaint? Maybe contact and ask about it on any social media platforms they have. 

1 hour ago, lytha said:

Update: Both Edeka and Aldi emailed me and told me that smoking is not allowed in their stores and they would remind their employees.

A month later, there're stll smoking at both stores. Oh well.

I would take some (carefully, sneaky) photos and send them to the same channels you complained. These aren't going to be plastered on the front page of a newspaper, so this one time I would just forget about the usual very paranoid German rules about privacy and soul-stealing via shutter click.

5 hours ago, alderhill said:

I would take some (carefully, sneaky) photos and send them to the same channels you complained. These aren't going to be plastered on the front page of a newspaper, so this one time I would just forget about the usual very paranoid German rules about privacy and soul-stealing via shutter click.

Alderhill, that is the best idea yet, it speaks to my sneaky nature. Unfortunately I have never seen them smoking in those stores - they do it in the break room and baking/storage rooms. I would have to James Bond it and distract the employees to find the ones smoking behind the break room curtain at Edeka/down the elevator shaft (!) and even deeper into Aldi. If you'd like to come stake them out with me, I'm all for it.