Buying a house without realtor

24 posts in this topic

Prices have gone up in all the desirable places in Oberbayern, city and land. I’d think that a trend towards home office makes people want bigger homes in nice places not too far away from the workplace and from the city, i.e suburbs with a lot of green and close to the lakes and the mountains. The problem is that the prices there, while lower than in Munich, are not considerably lower. My parents in law are from the Weilheim-Schongau area, a new single family home can easily be €800,000 or more there and in my opinion for that money represents a worse deal than a more expensive house in Munich (I realize that many don’t have a choice).

A home is a huge purchase and it’s not hard for people to realize that the pandemic will be a thing of the past in one year or two and plan accordingly. The cultural and social disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere have not suddenly gone away.

Yeah, the house prices are eye watering (I'm in the Stuttgart area). At least compared to the US the interest rates and property taxes are very low. In the US we might pay $6.000 per year property tax on a $300.000 house but here it's like 500€ on a 500.000€ house. So at least much more of the payments go to building equity instead of just flushing it to the banks and tax collector.

In my limited experience of the German property market, it seems that at least advertising the property properly through the Makler/in opens up the house sale to the 'free' market. My wife and I moved to a new (nearby) town in 2012 and wanted to buy a house. Even then, there was a shortage of modest family houses on the market (compared to what I was used to in Ireland). In the subsequent years, I know why - so many private sales. Family, friends of the family, colleagues all seem to get first bite of the cherry. I'm not so naive to think the same doesn't happen in Ireland or the UK. It just seems there, you can make a generous offer on an advertised house and see if money talks. In Germany (again, in my limited experience), you often don't even get the opportunity to know the house was for sale.