Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Meeting point at German-Dutch border

15 posts in this topic

Is there a meeting point at Germany-Netherlands border where one can meet without actually crossing the border?

Hence, having not required to go under mandatory quarantine or testing.

If there is then it would defeat the whole purpose of having to be tested and or quarantine, that being to stop people from one country meeting and possibly infecting people of another country. What is wrong with a telephone or video call?

Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but....

On 1/11/2021, 1:03:32, keith2011 said:

stop people from one country meeting and possibly infecting people of another country. 

Yeah, because lines drawn on a map are an effective shield against a virus :)

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Yeah, because lines drawn on a map are an effective shield against a virus :)

They certainly are if people are not allowed to cross them!:rolleyes:

On 1/11/2021, 12:33:51, HG said:

Is there a meeting point at Germany-Netherlands border where one can meet without actually crossing the border?

Hence, having not required to go under mandatory quarantine or testing.

Well, you can meet anywhere at the border, it is more or less open. 

For example, there is a border tripoint near Aachen where Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands meet. This point is a tourist area, so I am not sure it is not closed due to Corona. But you can try. 

But you probably want somewhere north as you're from Hamburg. I would recommend Dutch and German Friesland: this is least populated area, I would expect less contagion there, and less police as a result. However, I haven't been there except via highway. 

46 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

They certainly are if people are not allowed to cross them!:rolleyes:

So, you say you can party in Berlin and next day you party in Hamburg, next day you party in Frankfurt, and you don't spread the virus. 

But if I go from Nuremberg to Riezlern in Austria, then walk up the mountain meeting 5 people on the way, and descent back to Obersdorf in Bavaria, I spread the virus and kill people. 

Yes, sure, makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

So, you say you can party in Berlin and next day you party in Hamburg, next day you party in Frankfurt, and you don't spread the virus. 

When the hell did I say anything like that?

Even assuming that was allowed, then you must surely understand why another country would want to confirm that anyone entering was not infected with the virus, it makes perfect sense!

17 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

then you must surely understand why another country would want to confirm that anyone entering was not infected with the virus, it makes perfect sense

It makes perfect sense in Israel where there is only one point of entry - the Tel Aviv airport, so you get three higher than normal chances to get the virus - in the origin airport, in the packed plane, and in the airport of destination. 

It makes zero sense if you cross the land border without stopping, especially when you do not use public transportation. This is just security theater. 

Also, when you have only one point of entry, you can actually enforce the quarantine.

Read the OP, they were looking for somewhere to meet someone from the Netherlands and avoid the restrictions required for crossing the border! What is your problem with my response to that? Or are you saying just because there maybe multiple points of entry then there is no need for any checks or personal responsibility when different countries have different local restrictions and differing levels of infections!:blink:

Just now, keith2011 said:

Read the OP, they were looking for somewhere to meet someone from the Netherlands and avoid the restrictions required for crossing the border! What is your problem with my response to that? Or are you saying just because there maybe multiple points of entry then there is no need for any checks or personal responsibility when different countries have different local restrictions and differing levels of infections!:blink:

Your shaming is unproductive. 

Go ahead, to shame hairdressers or restaurant owners working black. So many opportunities to blame people have opened last year. 

Earlier you had to commit a crime to be bad person. Now, you being a nice hard working person is a crime in itself. Isn't it absurd? 

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Your shaming is unproductive. 

Sorry I just don't understand where you are coming from or what you are trying to say/imply!

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Well, you can meet anywhere at the border, it is more or less open. 

For example, there is a border tripoint near Aachen where Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands meet. This point is a tourist area, so I am not sure it is not closed due to Corona. But you can try. 

My ex-wife comes from Aachen, so I am familiar with the area.  The tourist attraction is basically just a marker.

There are many kilometers of “borders” between Germany and Belgium/Netherlands in that region where the border is just a line on a map, or perhaps a small road sign on a country road.

22 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

There are many kilometers of “borders” between Germany and Belgium/Netherlands in that region where the border is just a line on a map, or perhaps a small road sign on a country road.

I loved the bike path built on the BE/DE border which was formerly a railway from Aachen to Luxembourg. Basically, this bike path marks the border: after WWI it was politically important that the railway tracks do not belong to any country, and is also a perfect place to meet. 

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I loved the bike path built on the BE/DE border which was formerly a railway from Aachen to Luxembourg. Basically, this bike path marks the border: after WWI it was politically important that the railway tracks do not belong to any country, and is also a perfect place to meet. 

The Vennbahn - I watched this on YouTube only a few weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/KEM_cp6hVeM