Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

UK Fishing Industry

9 posts in this topic

Scottish seafood exports 'face being sent to landfill' over Brexit delays

This really makes me angry. The fishing industry reportedly exports 70% of its catch to the continent, France, Germany etc.

These people are now complaining that they are losing money because of the extra paperwork and beaurocracy, owing to BREXIT, has made this business economically unviable.

I say "HOORAY".

It's clear that this industry has grown much too big and should now be drastically scaled down. This would also give our beds of shellfish time to recover from this overfishing which has being going on for decades.

A separate question: How much fish does the UK import? Most of this could be offset against exports.

I have a sneaky feeling that those areas left to recover would tempt foreign sharks whose own beds have been over-fished.

It is mind-bogglingly ridiculous that we import weeks old frozen fish from the Pacific whilst exporting (or dumping) the fresh stuff on our doorstep to our gastronomically more discerning neighbours.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

I have a sneaky feeling that those areas left to recover would tempt foreign sharks whose own beds have been over-fished.

Each country has control of their waters up to 200 miles so if somebody is fishing in your garden you send the coastguard.

What coastguard? Think they are in laughably thin supply in UK.

:lol: our lot are a bunch of underfunded volunteers in uniform with no authority to implement the law. See Wikipedia.