Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Self-Employed Visa

4 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Toytowners

I would like to inquire about the option of being self-employed in Germany. I am a dual citizen (Canadian/American) and have found several posts about Canadians not being able to apply for one unless they had € 1,000,000 & 10 working places. This is definitely not an option for me.I am currently registered here as a Canadian (working for a MNC) but would definitely switch things up if that was the only way.

My Aufenhaltstitel  states: Selbständige Tätigkeit nicht erlaubt. I have reached out to the Ausländerbehörde regarding this but unfortunately they didn’t provide me with any feedback (simply stated: when and if you lose your job, we can look into other options for you at the point)

Has anyone else had any success with this? If so, what are the requirements?

Any input is very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, HeshamH said:

Hello Fellow Toytowners

I would like to inquire about the option of being self-employed in Germany. I am a dual citizen (Canadian/American) and have found several posts about Canadians not being able to apply for one unless they had € 1,000,000 & 10 working places. This is definitely not an option for me.I am currently registered here as a Canadian (working for a MNC) but would definitely switch things up if that was the only way.

My Aufenhaltstitel  states: Selbständige Tätigkeit nicht erlaubt. I have reached out to the Ausländerbehörde regarding this but unfortunately they didn’t provide me with any feedback (simply stated: when and if you lose your job, we can look into other options for you at the point)

Has anyone else had any success with this? If so, what are the requirements?

Any input is very much appreciated.

"Selbständige Tätigkeit nicht erlaubt" Can´t do it, case closed. At least not in this configuration, looks like they are a bit wary of you having just one or two customers, and a "Scheinselbständigkeit" having said that I have heard of Canadians being sponsored and able to work in Germany as freelancers.

At least you are not American where FATCA would make you toxic for the Finanzamt.

Hi Slammer thanks for your feedback.
What does my current position at the company have to do with freelancing (which is something I am considering as a worst case scenario given everything in this market)?

Your comment about me having one to two customers threw me off.

10 minutes ago, HeshamH said:

Your comment about me having one to two customers threw me off.

Because you must have a minimum of two clients in order to be considered a freelancer, and no more than 83-85% of your freelance income (I can't remember the exact percentage) can come from a single client. That's why people applying for freelance visas must have letters from at least two prospective clients for their ABH appointment.