Neighbour keeps turning the heating off

51 posts in this topic

It has been relatively warm here the past few days. Maybe that's why he's not playing with it.

It isn't even Feb. yet. The on-off game will get old.

24 minutes ago, innfield said:

on that one occasion he rubbed his fingers together like Fagin and said 'Money, money, money!

I´d just have said okay and given him 50 Cents.:lol:

41 minutes ago, innfield said:

That's the situation we have here - cobbled-together ersatz 1960s built-to-let small apartment house with just four flats in it, and although it's not on the river, as you would have been in Bingen, for some unaccountable reason it does get cold very fast.

Somewhat OT, but what I found is that Bingen’s proximity to the river doesn‘t make it colder in the winter - just the opposite, in fact.  The river acts as a heatsink, and the low mountains on each side of the river there reinforce this effect.  As a result, Bingen has a „micro-climate“.  I live just 24km away from Bingen, but there is a distinct contrast in the weather.

Bingen is slightly warmer in the winter, slightly cooler in the summer, and has more hours of sunshine during the average day than here.  On occasions when we get snowfall here in the immediate Mainz area, Bingen usually escapes it.

As far as inside warmth in the winter, it comes down to this - the building where I live now is modern construction, with lots of insulation and well-sealed doors/windows.  If the temperature is consistently above freezing, my radiators are almost never active.  In that shoddily-constructed building in Bingen, starting in early November the heat needs to be on nearly constantly if you don‘t want to spend the day buried under a pile of blankets.

Decent windows and decent loft insulation!!   That is the key to keeping the older places warm... 

@the OP ... I am happy to pop over .. we can chat away in the entrance hall and take a look at the boiler room... When the Grumpy old fucker turns up, just introduce me as you Lawyer... 

He may not flinch... but he may just crap his pants too!... 

11 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

@the OP ... I am happy to pop over .. we can chat away in the entrance hall and take a look at the boiler room... When the Grumpy old fucker turns up, just introduce me as you Lawyer... 

Good offer. But didn't you mean enforcer?

@innfield not relevant to the boiler issue at all, but if when you write a reply you press control and right click inside the quotation boxes which I think may have taken up permanent residence in there, then you'll get a small drop down menu which gives you the option to lose the stuff you already said/quoted from other people and start afresh.

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

@innfield not relevant to the boiler issue at all, but if when you write a reply you press control and right click inside the quotation boxes which I think may have taken up permanent residence in there, then you'll get a small drop down menu which gives you the option to lose the stuff you already said/quoted from other people and start afresh.

There's like a 4 way arrow at the top left corner of the quote box which becomes visible when you click or hover on it and you have to push ctrl and right click on that.

And if you are posting from an Android phone, you can put a couple of words of text above and below the old quote you want to delete, then press a word until it's blue to select it, then drag one pointer for your selection to include the old quote box plus a bit of text above and below, hit backspace and it's gone.

On 22/01/2021, 15:38:06, fraufruit said:

It has been relatively warm here the past few days. Maybe that's why he's not playing with it.

It isn't even Feb. yet. The on-off game will get old.

On 22/01/2021, 22:08:30, MadAxeMurderer said:

Good offer. But didn't you mean enforcer?

It may already be starting to do just that - he has kept his paws off it for more than a week now. Perhaps he's realised that every time he turns it off I go down and turn it back on again, and that the whole thing is more than a little childish.

On 22/01/2021, 21:56:11, SpiderPig said:

Decent windows and decent loft insulation!!   That is the key to keeping the older places warm... 

If he was a grumpy old fucker, I'd be more inclined to be patient with him. But he's 25 or 30 years younger than I am. He's kept his mitts off the boiler for more than a week now, so maybe it's a storm in a teacup. This is our fourth year here, and the first winter we've had this ridiculous performance. It's not as if we want all the heaters to be on night and day, but the flat is cold. If our use of the heater somehow runs up his heating bill, and he can prove it, why doesn't he just tell us and we'll pay him for it.

On 22/01/2021, 15:36:28, RedMidge said:

@innfield

Have you actually joined the Mieterverein yet? Your German wife should have known to join as soon as you started renting!  They can give best advice, lawyer letter to other tenant and landlord about this.

Well, there's a sort of armed truce at the moment - he hasn't turned it off for more than a week, but it has been exceptionally cold here. We're in the dachsgeschoss flat and the loft is completely uninsulated. If he lived in this flat he'd be more tolerant of our position. Or maybe he wouldn't. Who knows. And my wife is busy signing up with the Mieterverein, she told me.

1 hour ago, innfield said:

If our use of the heater somehow runs up his heating bill, and he can prove it, why doesn't he just tell us and we'll pay him for it.

It does run up his heating bill because you pay partially for use and partial for sq. meters. You will be able to see this when you get the utility bill. For example if your sq. meters are 25% of the building but your use is more than 25% then you are using more heat than your neighbors. If it's less, then you are using less.

What you could do as well in order to be less miserable in your apartment would be to get an electric heater. Sure you'll pay more power though if you do.