Living abroad while on Elternzeit

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to take Elternzeit (not Elterngeld as my son will turn 2 in March) and live abroad for 6+months. Also before leaving for Elternzeit I would leave my current apartment as our plan is to move elsewhere anyway once returned.

Given current situation I would like to have flexibility to come to Germany (as I will not terminate employment contract) for e.g. vaccination or other health checks if needed but I am interested how is that feasible for me as I will not have apartment on my name for the time being?

We are here on blue card where I’m the only one working and I am eligible to apply for permanent residence permit. 

Thanks in advance 

17 minutes ago, salttrail said:

I would like to take Elternzeit (not Elterngeld as my son will turn 2 in March) and live abroad for 6+months. Also before leaving for Elternzeit I would leave my current apartment as our plan is to move elsewhere anyway once returned.

If you are only applying for Elternzeit and not Elterngeld you should obtain written permission from your local ABH confirming that your permit will not become void.

8 hours ago, engelchen said:

If you are only applying for Elternzeit and not Elterngeld you should obtain written permission from your local ABH confirming that your permit will not become void.

Thanks, but if I leave apartment I also need to deregister, without being “angemeldet” am I eligible for social benefits?

1 hour ago, salttrail said:

Thanks, but if I leave apartment I also need to deregister, without being “angemeldet” am I eligible for social benefits?

What social benefits? Elternzeit is unpaid parental leave.

1 hour ago, salttrail said:

You want to live outside Germany and still get social benefits from Germany. You want to pop back on a whim and use the system here! Unbelievable. 

12 hours ago, engelchen said:

What social benefits? Elternzeit is unpaid parental leave.

Yes that is clear but would not I be entitled to use healthcare in this transition phase while I am not in Germany?