Digital Telephones

4 posts in this topic

I will be leaving Germany to return home to New Zealand in a few months and am wondering whether my digital landline telephones (2 Eurit 40's from Ascom) would function on a digital line there.

I have in my mind the idea that, internationally, "digital is digital".The question is: is this correct? Or would I need new digital telephones for New Zealand?

Expert views sought, please. I am happy to stand corrected.

Thank you.

onemark

"Most" digital phones use an analogue "Line" unless its an ISDN line ( These are very uncommon these days...)

The Phones that you have may require a different cable to connect the base station to the router or Wall socket... 

So, Yes, they should work.. 

The  Ascom Eurit 40 is an isdn phone, explicitly listed as being for " Euro ISDN".
I know nothing about the phone system in NZ, so I can't say that SP is wrong,  but I wouldn't be so sure that they will work either.

Checking a bit deeper, it looks like NZ uses DSS1 what I can't find out is if E-DSS1 and DSS1 are the same or even compatible.

I can't see that the phones themselves have much value in Germany since according to this wiki page  new ISDN lines are not available anymore in Germany and old ones are expected to be phased out completely over the next couple of years.

I would say dump them and get new phones in NZ, but if you want to take them and try them when you get there then you might be lucky.