Self-employed or other non-employees moving to Germany after Jan 1st 2021

31 posts in this topic

I‘ve double and triple checked with TK and it is over and out for British and EU citizens or non-EU citizens moving to Germany from the UK as self-employed or non-employed/ living off savings etc.

You can no longer show proof you have been in the NHS to get into German public insurance as a voluntary member.

God help you if you can‘t get into private insurance either for health or financial reasons. Or both.

🙁

It is over.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi John, So the time preceding the 31.12.2020 (when the UK was EU) no longer counts for qualifying for German insurance? It's as if the UK was never a part of Europe?

It will only work if registration in Germany was 31st Dec at the latest and an application now-ish and backdated, Paul. And proof of NHS membership!

And the same applies to EU and non-EU citizens who have been living in the UK till now...

I feel a bit sick right now.😟

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Very useful info.

Bit tangential question
Is there any other country in EU with NHS like system - just wondering.

Being a German citizen and a freelancer - I am wondering where can I move in EU with low taxes and HC costs (...a healthy naturalized German :)

Appreciate your inputs!

24 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Very useful info.

Bit tangential question

Being a German citizen and a freelancer - I am wondering where can I move in EU with low taxes and HC costs (...a healthy naturalized German :)

Appreciate your inputs!

There are lots of EU comparison tables for your question- Google is your friend.

15 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

There are lots of EU comparison tables for your question- Google is your friend.

Sure Red! 
TT folks seem to have more and better insight. Just a small family I can trust.

I like Google stock though. 

40 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Very useful info.

Bit tangential question

Appreciate your inputs!

Kapil😂

You have asked that question on this forum several times!

Most European countries have a public health system with low  direct self-contributory costs..

Tax? Dunno. I just pay a lot and cry😟😂

1 minute ago, kapil354 said:

Sure Red! 
TT folks seem to have more and better insight. Just a small family I can trust.

I like Google stock though. 

You could move to Greece and pay cash for the odd treatment here and there. Low prices.

Cash, ok?😂

5 hours ago, Paul@CRCIE said:

Hi John, So the time preceding the 31.12.2020 (when the UK was EU) no longer counts for qualifying for German insurance? It's as if the UK was never a part of Europe?

Basically, those people who have been publicly insured in the UK - whatever their nationality- will be discriminated against the same way everybody else coming from outside the EU has been for yonks.

THAT is a disgrace-  in my humble opinion.

Why have public insurance as part of a system if you can‘t get into it even if you want to and want to pay?

( Not the same as freeloaders )...

3 hours ago, john g. said:

Why have public insurance as part of a system if you can‘t get into it even if you want to and want to pay?

You must be an EU member to take advantage of the system.

I never felt discriminated against when I moved here and wasn't eligible to get in the public insurance system. Could I just move to the UK and get into the NHS?

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You must be an EU member to take advantage of the system.

I never felt discriminated against when I moved here and wasn't eligible to get in the public insurance system. Could I just move to the UK and get into the NHS?

Yes, as long as your paying tax, you are insured by the NHS

Why should one have to be an EU member?
Yes, anyone legally resident in the UK has  always been able to get into the NHS.

And, yes, you were discriminated against.

Public insurance should be available to everyone legally resident in another country with a public system.

Hey, maybe I‘m more „ woke „ than some on here who claim to be!😂

9 hours ago, john g. said:

It will only work if registration in Germany was 31st Dec at the latest and an application now-ish and backdated, Paul. And proof of NHS membership!

And the same applies to EU and non-EU citizens who have been living in the UK till now...

I feel a bit sick right now.😟

Has one of the insurance loop-holes just been closed?    

Please explain

Yes! If you are self-employed and living in the UK and in the NHS and now move to Germany - EVEN if you are an EU citizen ( French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish etc )- you can no longer get into German public insurance as a voluntary member! Bloody disgrace. 

Why is it a disgrace... ?

They took advantage of the In-expensive UK health service.. why should they come here and free load too?

Who is talking about freeloading? Danish, French or whatever self-employed people will have paid tax/ NI contributions etc and will be tax payers in Germany and have to be health insured by law.

What happens if they have pre-existing conditions and cannot get insured? That is the EU? Is it? 

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

And, yes, you were discriminated against.

No, I wasn't. I got private insurance for a helluva a lot cheaper than any insurance in the U.S. and, unlike U.S. insurance, there were no deductibles and it paid for everything. I felt blessed.

It all depends on perspective and experience.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Who is talking about freeloading? Danish, French or whatever self-employed people will have paid tax/ NI contributions etc and will be tax payers in Germany and have to be health insured by law.

What happens if they have pre-existing conditions and cannot get insured? That is the EU? Is it? 

Since when in the past 5 days has the EU given a single fuck about money paid into the UK system?  ...    

How often have parents sent kids to Uni in scotland as it was free? ( or paid for)...  Its all change at Crewe!!  It was forecast... 

How long have you been in Germany, fraufruit? Decades, right?

Try getting into German private insurance THESE days as an American. Let alone public?

Why do you think Starshollow and I and others have posted so often about this issue?

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Why do you think Starshollow and I and others have posted so often about this issue?

To earn money?  just a thought...