Brexit , vaccinations and my return to Berlin

11 posts in this topic

So my Mum died recently and I will be here in the UK for a  while to handle her affairs. I wil return to Berlin eventually. That is , if I can.

Already there have been 2 incidences where Brits like myself have not been allowed to enter an EU state.

The first was some Brits who lived in Spain and were returning home. Some were not allowed to board the flight while others were turned away at the border. It turns out that this was all a misunderstanding and they are all now back in Spain. But such misunderstandings will occur.

Then some Brits tried to enter the Netherlands and were refused entry as they were no longer from an EU country and their journey was not essential. I support the Dutch on this one.

So what will happen when I decide to return to Berlin? I did not think to bring my residence permit with me. How can I prove to the airport police that I live in Berlin? I have German cards such as my TK medical card and bank cards but will this do?

Also . I may well be vaccinated by this time. At the age off 66 I am well up the list to be jabbed. How do I prove this and would it make any difference anyway?

Thanks and stay safe

Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope that when you return travel inconsistancies/misunderstandings will be mostly ironed out. Can you get your anmeldung by download or sent by email? That would sort out the proof that you are resident - although I would think that most British airline workers would let you show your TK card as with it being in German they would most likely not know the difference between it and a residence permit!

Thanks for the  sympathy SusieT. A few weeks ago , my mum went into a care home and it finished her off. Now I feel a bit guilty , even though she agreed. Still , she was 91 and she had a good life so I console myself with that. 

Firstly sorry for your loss.

On 05/01/2021, 11:00:24, colincostello said:

Also . I may well be vaccinated by this time. At the age off 66 I am well up the list to be jabbed. How do I prove this and would it make any difference anyway?

Thanks and stay safe

I'm struggling with this statement, why do you think you would qualify or even be entitled to the vaccination in the UK when you are a German resident? 

as for returning to Berlin, see this article. It appears that airline cabin crew could be your problem not the Zoll.

My advice to you whilst you are in the UK is to register online at Berlin.de for the appointment of the residents permit, print it out and this will act as proof of your registration. That will most probably be the easiest option if you are going to return whilst the Country is in lockdown. Don't forget you will need to provide a negative covid test that's not older than 48 hours.

I also heard about these problems that some people have had on trying to return to Germany by air.

In my passport, I have a page with a paper insert called 'AUFENTHAKTSTITEL' which is 'unbefristet'.

Do you have this too? I thought when I got it that it would give me resident status.

Am I wrong?

My condolences to you.

When the time comes, you'll need to fill in the necessary paperwork here :

Returning to Germany

It from the German Foreign Office.

A test showing -ve before you leave then quarantine in Berlin.

May be shortened in Berlin if you have a second -ve test no sooner that 5 days after return.

So minimum of 5 days of Q then.

To help show residency, can you print out (from online ) any credit card or bank statements?

I know they're not official, but maybe easier than applying for a new permit. 

2 hours ago, Acton said:

Do you have this too? I thought when I got it that it would give me resident status.

Am I wrong?

No you're not but the Op doesn't have the Aufenhaltstitel.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

I know they're not official, but maybe easier than applying for a new permit. 

If you're referring to my post it's not a new permit as you call it.

You can only make the application if you meet a certain criteria, the Op I believe meets that criteria as in he has been here longer than 5 years.

It helps to read links that other posters post.

This document serves as proof of your registration and of your lawful residency in the territory of Germany.

I'm very sorry to hear about your mum. What a stressful situation.

Are you worried specifically because of the current travel ban in place for people travelling to Germany from SA and the UK?

If you already have a residence permit but forgot it in Berlin, can you perhaps ask somebody (who might have a key to your home) to post it to you? (registered express delivery)

Regarding the vaccine, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference at least for the time being, I haven't read anywhere that the Germans are accepting this as a means of entering the country.

From what Sir Percy B said above, I'm not an expert but I could imagine it being quite easy to get the jab in the UK if you're in the right age range, all you need to say is that you've just moved back to the UK and prove you're within the qualifying age bracket surely? At least give it a shot, maybe you could get it done in the UK a lot quicker than in Germany! Just call the NHS and ask.

Good luck and hope you manage to get this sorted.

Sorry for your loss. Depending on your time-frame the hassle with the airlines may no longer be a problem. Hopefully.

What kind of residence permit do you have?

Ás I understand it, if you have a residence permit under the Brexit WA you will lose that status and any associated benefits if you stay outside of Germany for longer than 6 months. Small detail that could have serious repercussions but has not been explicitly pointed out by any authority.

Source: brexitbritsabroad.org

Thanks for all the condolences. It helps. I will not be returning to Berlin , until February at least. I just would not feel safe on a train for at least 2 hours and then on a plane  for about the same time.  And then I might get refused entry. Some brits have been refused entry already and they had better documentation that I have.

What would I do in Berlin anyway? So I am staying here until I see how things pan out. Even then , there are things to attend to.

I have told my landlord to go round once a week to check that things are ok and to make sure his insurance remains valid. Proerties left vacant for any lenght of time may lose their insurance . Bt what if he does not want to go? I would not  blame him .

Then what?