Leaving Munich back to Ireland

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys, some advice would be great. My wife, child and I are leaving Munich after 10 years, going to Ireland.  I can work remotely for my German company.  Is there a good time to sign out of Germany and would I be still taxed for all income in 2021 in Germany?  Many regards

Are you sure you are doing the correct thing returning to Ireland? I suppose your child was born here and he may find it difficult adapting to a new country and language..  I came here with my wife and two daughters 49 years ago and would not like to go back. My brother in law was here for a short time 40 years ago and returned to Ireland.. Every time we returned for a holiday he always said that leaving Munich was the biggest mistake he ever made. When we go back for a short holiday now what we enjoy mostly is the return flight to Munich. 

Yes, confident it is the right time to go back, though thank you for the information.  

On 1/9/2021, 11:03:32, ballygobackwards said:

Are you sure you are doing the correct thing returning to Ireland? I suppose your child was born here and he may find it difficult adapting to a new country and language..  I came here with my wife and two daughters 49 years ago and would not like to go back. My brother in law was here for a short time 40 years ago and returned to Ireland.. Every time we returned for a holiday he always said that leaving Munich was the biggest mistake he ever made. When we go back for a short holiday now what we enjoy mostly is the return flight to Munich. 

What does he miss of Munich that can't be found in Ireland (apart from the weather)?

Good Augustiner Beer,, Austria, Italy, and other countries just a short drive away but to mention a few... I left norniron 50 years ago, then it was not a peaceful place to live. But. I was thinking about his child who may find it difficult to adapt to a new country, way of life, and perhaps a new language, not to mention leaving his or her friends here. 

7 hours ago, UpToWick said:

What does he miss of Munich that can't be found in Ireland (apart from the weather)?

Weißwurstsenf?

It will never be black and white when changing countries. Remember that both places have good and bad points. Ireland may be more crack (Fun) but also service may not be good. The list is endless. You will be all over the place for the 1st year and then get into a pattern. Try enjoy it and remember you can't have the good things from both places. 

On 1/5/2021, 2:59:06, WildRover said:

would I be still taxed

living in germany is a taxing experience.  build back up your reserves in ireland.    i always thought you paid your taxes in your place of primary residency, but that makes too much sense.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

living in germany is a taxing experience.  build back up your reserves in ireland.    i always thought you paid your taxes in your place of primary residency, but that makes too much sense.

Ireland is taxing also. Yes, your direct taxation is lower but  you will pay more for services and on indirect taxation than Germany. 

OP, good luck on your move to Ireland! 

On 12/01/2021, 10:51:18, UpToWick said:

thank you guys, if I leave my apartment at the end of June and fully leave Germany, apart from remote work for the same German company, would I pay Income tax all year in Germany and n

one in Ireland?  Thank you

If you de-register yourself and your family at the end of June (no Zweitewohnsitz) you will only pay tax until the end of June, as long as your employer does the various things he has to do, but that is his responsibility. Talk to you employer and the Finanzamt to make sure. You should try to reclaim your tax as well, I did that when I left and got quite a lot back.

Good luck back in Ireland, concentrate on the positive sides and try not to luck back, it will take a year or two to fully re-acclimatize.

https://www.mixcloud.com/RunTheFields/dwell-in-ireland-from-afar-1-st-patricks-day-in-munich/

Good luck with the move back. I lived in Munich for a few years between 88 and 96...miss the city walks, bike paths, the lakes and transmetropolitan plans. We're doing some radio shows at Dundalk FM for St Patrick's Day and have Boston lined up. Any talkers from Munich like to join the conversation?

On 1/26/2021, 3:00:28, WildRover said:

thank you guys, if I leave my apartment at the end of June and fully leave Germany, apart from remote work for the same German company, would I pay Income tax all year in Germany and n

one in Ireland?  Thank you

How about leaving Munich end of June. Then spend extended holidays in a third country (like one or two months) and after that returning to Ireland. Did you check this option? I have no idea if that would mean that you don't pay taxes at all ?? I just heard from a acquaintance ...other countries and citizenships involved though.

You are resident in Ireland for tax purposes if you are there for 183 days or more in the year, so as I understand it if you move after July 2nd (or whatever the 182nd day is) then your tax residency in should not begin until 2022. I'm not a finance professional either so you should check with revenue.ie.