Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DP sent daughter's Christmas gifts back to the USA without notice/contact

10 posts in this topic

Good morning,

There are countless posts here that are similar to mine. I understand that alone might annoy some people but I think it is important to share what has happened to us in light of all the delays and confussion the pandemic has unleashed. Please do not drag me, my child didn't get her promised presents and that is why this post exists.

We have been living at the same address for seven years we regularly get post without any problems----there is a similar address within our city but if the post code is written there are no issues.

My sister in law sent us a package of presents from the USA. She has sent us packages before and there were no problems, not even the Zollamt intercepted them.

She sent us a package in September. We were told by DP that everything could be delayed up to 45 days which is reasonable---hence why SIL sent everything earlier. December and still no package so my SIL was able to find out by the tracking number that the package had already arrived by October 16th, 2020 and had been sent to my local post office after our address came under question----somehow they knew enough to send it to the post office five minutes from my house.

We got no cards in the mailbox, no calls, no questions---nothing.

There are also two conflicting streams of information:

a.) DP says: address was under question and that they 'contacted us' twice ----they did not---we were home. Paperwork clearly indicates that they had the package at our local office in October.

b.) The American authorities say that DP told them there was an address issue and therefore they could not contact us and therefore they sent the package back to Frankfurt customs.

As of December 31st it was back in Frankfurt. It may or may not be on a cargo ship and that is what we are tying to find out.

To be clear there was no contact or information given in November or December.

My husband and took all the evidence we have both in German and English  from DP's electronic files / American Postal Service electronic files to our local office. We asked them to check in the back if there was a package by chance---there wasn't.

We asked them who we could contact to perhaps trace it down before and that is when our "customer service representative" started on with the "It's not my job" and "I don't know." He saw that I was upset (I am the foreign one) and told me that he didn't want to talk to me. I did not call him names, I did not accuse him of anything and even though I wanted to I did not slander Deutsche Post in anyway. 

The real life human beings at our local DP did not try to assist us in anyway.

They are normally lukewarm but ok to quickly drop a letter to. The man that I spoke to is an exception. He always seems to have a poor attitude and is very condecending. Twice in the past he has quoted me the wrong price for letters and packages---he will also try to refuse to post letters if he thinks the contents of the letter do not match what you told him. I want to file a complaint against this specific person.Something tells me that it wouldn't change his demeanour anyway. 

My husband did call a "customer service" line yesterday. He waited over an hour to talk to one person who quickly transfered him to another person who quickly told DH that he would not help him because husband is not the sender even though we had all the information.

Our sender is in the USA and speaks no German. We are tying to "rescue" this package from customs if possible and we are being pushed around as if we did something wrong. Is there something that we are not doing or a contact that we are missing? My SIL is doing her best to solve the problem too.

Thank you.

Why not go to the Frankfurt customs office and ask there.. its the last known location of the package.. 

Since the latest corona shenanigans, not much Domestic post is being sent out of the country... 

4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Why not go to the Frankfurt customs office and ask there.. its the last known location of the package.. 

Since the latest corona shenanigans, not much Domestic post is being sent out of the country... 

I actually think that is a good idea if we can confirm it is still there I would do it.

Just go there... waiting for confirmation would delay things.. 

13 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

I actually think that is a good idea if we can confirm it is still there I would do it.

So why not call them? 069 257829-0

You have my sympathies - I hate dealing with customs. My brother sent me a couple bottles of hot sauce as a birthday present once and the customs office thought it was a commercial shipment because he sent it out on his business address. I was able to provide some google results that convinced them it wasn't commercial, so they released it without imposing duties.

In the future, I suggest your relatives PayPal you the money and you do the gift procuring over here. That's what my parents do for my son. This approach has the added benefit that no one has to pay $50 for postage, which all but ensures that you'll be hit with customs duties if they decide to impose them.

Yup, or do online shopping in the country where the gift is to be delivered. I did this for kid#1 who somehow thought sending the makings of an Adventkranz from Germany to the UK made sense. I ordered a door wreath kit from M&S directly to her and suggested she put it flat on a table and shove a set of candles in it.

13 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

So why not call them? 069 257829-0

You have my sympathies - I hate dealing with customs. My brother sent me a couple bottles of hot sauce as a birthday present once and the customs office thought it was a commercial shipment because he sent it out on his business address. I was able to provide some google results that convinced them it wasn't commercial, so they released it without imposing duties.

In the future, I suggest your relatives PayPal you the money and you do the gift procuring over here. That's what my parents do for my son. This approach has the added benefit that no one has to pay $50 for postage, which all but ensures that you'll be hit with customs duties if they decide to impose them.

Thank you for  the number  my husband and I will try calling and if that doesn't work because we aren't the sender SIL will do her best.

Paypal is exactly what we did for my nieces because by that the middle of December I was having serious doubts about the efficiency of anything. My SIL is a former Target employee and loves to send very specific 'American' stuff like Halloween and Thanksgiving T-Shirts for DD. In the future I am going to reccomend they send nothing---not even Girl Scout Cookies (which did arrive promptly one year.) 

Not easy dealing with this kind of situation, even worse when you are also facing a disinterred member of staff and conflicting information.

DP can be a funny group, I once  had a mail saying my parcel had been delivered. I hadn't received it, no note in the postbox so I called their call center. They said it had been delivered, I said 'no, it hasn't, thy said that is all the info they had, but I should wait a day of two..

Next day there was a yellow slip in our postbox, it was in a hand written envelope. The yellow slip said that the parcel was at the local Post office. They had taken my parcel there, written me a nice envelope there and brought said envelope to my house to tell me my parcel was where they had written out the envelope.

my first thought was why didn't you just bring the parcel, it wasn't heavy...

13 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Yup, or do online shopping in the country where the gift is to be delivered. I did this for kid#1 who somehow thought sending the makings of an Adventkranz from Germany to the UK made sense. I ordered a door wreath kit from M&S directly to her and suggested she put it flat on a table and shove a set of candles in it.

This is my yearly fun. I ask family to send us amazon gift certs using the :de page (as it can be translated well enough into English for them to manage)  and every year they end me .co.uk ones.

I ask amazon if I can swap them, thy say no s the two sites are totally separate, part from seemingly using the same account info...

1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

She sent us a package in September. We were told by DP that everything could be delayed up to 45 days which is reasonable---hence why SIL sent everything earlier. December and still no package

Your sister sent Christmas presents in September? Wow! I'm really impressed. She obviously did everything she could for them to arrive in time, which makes this even more frustrating. 

You should first file a complaint with the Post  / DHL (they probably won't do anything, but you need to this first).

impressum.paket@dhl.com 

Then file a complaint with the Verbraucherzentrale:

https://www.post-aerger.de/beschwerden/beschwerdeformular-14189

And the Bundesnetzagentur:

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/DE/Sachgebiete/Post/Verbraucher/VerbraucherservicePost/VerbraucherservicePost-node.html

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update so after I wrote this thread my husband and I did the best we could to track and rescue it---but it was too late and the package arrived safely back at my brother's house in the US. Apparently they wanted to charge us twenty euros in taxes which we would have happily paid if we had known about it in the first place.

My mother also sent a Christmas package and that one too was sent back. After examining photos it seems to me that my mother did not write our postal code properly. For the time being I am asking my family not to send anything. A year ago this would not have been an issue but now it seems like nothing from outside the EU arrives on time or at all.

For Easter this year I sent my nieces presents from retailers on ETSY, since most of the vendors there are based in the US it jusst made more sense anyway.