Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plattenbau along Karl Marx allee

7 posts in this topic

I know I'm definitely in the minority, but I love the old DDR Plattenbau along Karl Marx Allee. Does anyone know if these are part of a housing cooperative or ... ? Perhaps I have just been looking in the wrong place or looking at the wrong time, but I have never seen any rental listings for these buildings. Would be curious to hear from anyone with experience renting one of these units with regards to the interiors, cost and anything else.

AFAIK they're administered by GEWOBAG and they're not cheap. Have a look a the GEWOBAG website

3 hours ago, cvm said:

AFAIK they're administered by GEWOBAG and they're not cheap. Have a look a the GEWOBAG website

Thank you! No surprise at all, sadly.

An acquaintance of ours lives there and has lived there before the wall came down. The apartments there are HUGE. He raised his four children there. Not sure of the prices though. 
Just be aware that in Plattenbau, you can hear EVERYTHING.

8 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Are you really talking about the typical unsightly Plattenbau or the Stalinist architecture-style buildings, also known as Zuckerbäckerstil ("wedding cake style")? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattenbau

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalinist_architecture

Oh, I think you're right. I think I'm talking about the big Stalinist housing blocks instead of the run of the mill Plattenbau. There is something about them that I just love.

A friend of mine told me that the communists started building these houses in Berlin in the late 40s to demonstrate their superiority over the capitalist world, but they were expensive to construct and at some point they switched to the ugly and cheaper Plattenbau. As far as I know, these were once affordable to buy after the “Wende” but are now quite pricey and rarely for sale/rent.