Teenager neighbor's noise driving us nuts

30 posts in this topic

When I first moved into my building, nearly all of my neighbors were elderly, retired people.  The building was as quiet as a tomb most of the time (except for the old guy who lives directly upstairs from me.  His hobby is apparently drilling holes in the walls every day)..  No children in the building except my daughter, and she is only here half the time.  

Over the past two years the older crowd has been steadily moving out, and a younger set of people have been moving in.  Recently a single mom with a teenage boy moved in next door, and they are definitely much, much louder than the previous retired tenants.

I don‘t really mind, actually.  I have the Audio System from Hell, and I have not felt like I can really use it much.  That is changing B)

So, it‘s not ALWAYS bad when you have loud neighbors!

Hey Dot!

I haven't read all of this thread, so I'm sorry if my advice has already been posted.

Believe it or not, there are German laws and procedures for this! I recently learned how to work the German noise laws... to great effect -- the noisy & smoking people downstairs ended up getting evicted. I've also called the police on nighttime noise. Yes, this really works!

What to do - see details below:

(1) keep a diary of each disturbance event

(2) if noise is between legal night hours, call the police

Details:

(1) Diary of disturbance events (Lärmprotokoll). After 1-2 weeks you will send this to your landlord / rental agency (Hausverwaltung) to prove that you are being disturbed. The  landlord/agency will send an official warning letter to the tenants, keeping you anonymous,  saying "you have been disturbing neighbours". Keep the diary and if they continue to make noise, send again the new diary. The landlord will send another official warning letter. On the 3rd letter they will be evicted.

The disturbance diary MUST contain the following information: date, begin time, end time, description of the disturbance, and the effect it had on you *very important to prove that it was disturbing you. For example: you had to close the windows; your business call got interrupted; you could not concentrate on your work; you were sleeping; etc. Here are some links in German to info and templates for the diary:

https://www.immonetzwerk.de/muster/laermprotokoll

https://www.mietrecht.com/laermprotokoll/

(2) When there's noise after 10 pm, you are entitled to call the police. Find the number of your local neighbourhood police office and get a German speaker to explain that there is loud noise, and they will ask you where it is and your address. I did this 3 times this summer during lockdown, as some neighbours were making very loud parties until after 1 am every weekend. The police person will go and shut them up, and if necessary will give a fine.

Info in German: https://www.juraforum.de/lexikon/ruhestoerung

I hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Leipzigrin said:

Yes, this really works!

except in the like 99% of times when it doesn't, and the person being disturbed winds up being the one who moves because you actually can't just throw someone out of their home because another neighbor has "proven" they needed to "close their window" during the night, wtf.

34 minutes ago, Leipzigrin said:

Hey Dot!

I haven't read all of this thread, so I'm sorry if my advice has already been posted.

Believe it or not, there are German laws and procedures for this! I recently learned how to work the German noise laws... to great effect -- the noisy & smoking people downstairs ended up getting evicted. I've also called the police on nighttime noise. Yes, this really works!

What to do - see details below:

(1) keep a diary of each disturbance event

(2) if noise is between legal night hours, call the police

Details:

(1) Diary of disturbance events (Lärmprotokoll). After 1-2 weeks you will send this to your landlord / rental agency (Hausverwaltung) to prove that you are being disturbed. The  landlord/agency will send an official warning letter to the tenants, keeping you anonymous,  saying "you have been disturbing neighbours". Keep the diary and if they continue to make noise, send again the new diary. The landlord will send another official warning letter. On the 3rd letter they will be evicted.

The disturbance diary MUST contain the following information: date, begin time, end time, description of the disturbance, and the effect it had on you *very important to prove that it was disturbing you. For example: you had to close the windows; your business call got interrupted; you could not concentrate on your work; you were sleeping; etc. Here are some links in German to info and templates for the diary:

https://www.immonetzwerk.de/muster/laermprotokoll

https://www.mietrecht.com/laermprotokoll/

(2) When there's noise after 10 pm, you are entitled to call the police. Find the number of your local neighbourhood police office and get a German speaker to explain that there is loud noise, and they will ask you where it is and your address. I did this 3 times this summer during lockdown, as some neighbours were making very loud parties until after 1 am every weekend. The police person will go and shut them up, and if necessary will give a fine.

Info in German: https://www.juraforum.de/lexikon/ruhestoerung

I hope this helps!

The company that manages my apartment complex has this as part of their online Mieterportal.  Never had to use it, but it can be done totally online.  Very modern :)

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Now  feel bad because he is never exercising any more - not even in the day time.

But how would you know? If he's out at the park or just in his box room where you can't see him... or he stopped because he did his back in or just got fed up... really you should not beat yourself up over this. Or did he tell you he stopped because of you? (In which case I would suggest the park or his box room :lol:)

I'd say you have two options.

1). You go and talk to the mother.

2). You call the police.

The one that is right for you will depend on you and your ability to deal with confrontation. There are no insults or insinuations there, it's just how it is.

If you are ok with confrontation you go and talk to the mother. If that doesn't work you move to option two and have to call he police or some department that can deal with this (I'm sure who you would call if you want to make this about covid).

Now it's possible that even if you go option two, the neighbour could find out. 

We've had pain in the ass neighbours ignore repeated requests to be quiet but if some called the police before talking to them, they complained that no one spoke to them directly. These people exist in the world, we have also had neighbours call the police so pain neighbours wouldn't know who did it and then the police went to their door to talk to them...

I'm not sure if you can make an annon complaint, if you can, then that would be  away to move forward if you would rather avoid the neighbours knowing you made oe.

Other option is to put up with it..

Oh my, what a load of great responses & wonderful stories ;-) 

Sorry for taking time to read & reply, things have gotten busy lately.

So here's the current status:

I ran into the mom on the 30th Dec and had a friendly chat with her... She took it well but seemed quite surprised (and more than a bit embarrassed which I was somewhat glad to see). She actually let it slip that she was "wondering where our bedroom was and was hoping it wasn't above his son's room" so when I confirmed to her that it was indeed right above the ruckus, she took the point and said how sorry she was etc. etc. 

Turns out the kid is having his little parties (he's 17 btw) when she's not around and she said she'll talk to him. I thanked her and told her that we naturally don't expect him to live like a saint -  would be quite unrealistic for a teenager anyway - but stressed I will be forced to call the police on him and his mates if this doesn't get any better (and added that I would hate to be that neighbour).

Then a couple of days silence, but earlier this week they were at it again, I saw 7 of them leaving around 1 am with bottles of wines under their arms heading up the street, probably heading to one of the mates' house (or into the woods, who knows). I also heard him this week with his music but he stopped around 11 pm so that's already a bit of improvement.

I've started keeping the noise journal  - the mom did ask me to let her know immediately if it continues - and will wait another week or so to see what happens.

It's a bit weird as sometimes for weeks it's all quiet, and then out of the blue, he's at it again.

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated.

In one of our previous flats we had a would-be-dj living in the room above our 2 year old daughter.

That was fun. In the end we reached out to the old management company who showed us around the flat (their contract had been canceled and the owner was taking care of things). The guy who showed us around the flat told us that yes, it had been reported before but the guy living there is sub-letting from his father.

I said 'guy? there are two', That is how we found out that the son was letting out the spare room for cash to the DJ guy.

The two of them were ok but eventually I had to have a word with the son and say that although I understood they were both students my daughter is being woken up and that causes me to be woken up and over time we are all getting tired but if we can keep this to a minimum then I don't need to report the DJ guy to the owner. 

Penny dropped and the noise level went way down. 

I kind of felt sorry for them, the son was just trying to keep some cash for his living expenses and the DJ guy (who apparently did DJ around the place) was just trying to enjoy his life and job by having the odd small party back at his. 

We moved out soon after and form what I have heard, the people who took over the flat were not so considerate and eventually the mother went up and told them to knock the noise off or there would be trouble. I was told that by someone who lived above the DJ guy who also moved to our new area and I haven't seen him since.  

On 8.1.2021, 17:04:33, dotinwiesbaden said:

Then a couple of days silence, but earlier this week they were at it again

Maybe the mom was on holiday :rolleyes: