Working Holiday Visa application in Berlin as New Zealander

4 posts in this topic

Hi there - I am a New Zealander in London at the moment. I would like to move to Berlin in February 2021 and subsequently apply for the one year working holiday visa (I am within the age range). I am assured by the German Embassy in London that it is generally possible to do this once I arrive, but I am a little nervous given the Covid situation.

Has anyone on this forum recently applied for a working holiday visa in Berlin? Was it difficult to get an appointment? How long did it take? Can you apply using English forms etc or is the application done in German? 

Thanks very much in advance. 

35 minutes ago, Leroos said:

I am a New Zealander in London at the moment. I would like to move to Berlin in February 2021

If you are resident in the UK, I'm not sure when it will be possible for you to legally be allowed to enter Germany. 

35 minutes ago, Leroos said:

I am assured by the German Embassy in London that it is generally possible to do this once I arrive, but I am a little nervous given the Covid situation.

Due to corona the office responsible is open only to those with an appointment until the 10th of January 2021 (and this will probably be extended).

The entry rules are in flux and it is impossible to guess what the situation will be like in 2 months. 

Now is not a good time to move. 

Hi Engelchen - thanks, I'm a habitual resident of New Zealand, and due to the wording of the EU Council Recommendation that bans inward non-essential travel to Europe, I am exempt from those rules. So, I think I should be ok to enter Germany (I'll have to quarantine of course). 

But that sounds tricky with the office being closed unless I have an appointment, like you say that could be extended for quite a while still. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Leroos said:

Hi Engelchen - thanks, I'm a habitual resident of New Zealand, and due to the wording of the EU Council Recommendation that bans inward non-essential travel to Europe, I am exempt from those rules. So, I think I should be ok to enter Germany

I'm not convinced that you'll be exempt coming from outside of Schengen and outside of the EU, however, it is premature to even discuss it now. You'll need to keep an eye on the rules and read them carefully before you travel (and even then it is risk).

1 hour ago, Leroos said:

But that sounds tricky with the office being closed unless I have an appointment, like you say that could be extended for quite a while still. 

Rumour has it that the lockdown in Berlin will be extended until the end of January, but we won't know till next week.

1. Are you risk averse?

2. Do you already have legal accommodation in Berlin (a place where you are allowed to legally register)?

3. Do you have a job lined up? Or substantial savings?

4. Do you have skills needed here during a pandemic?

If you have special skills that are needed here, there are ways to receive priority treatment. If not, you need substantial savings to cover your expenses until you can get your paperwork in order (the pandemic is making the very slow moving bureaucracy even slower). 

You need to decide how much risk you are willing to take.