Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to understand the rules of lockdown - Bayern

31 posts in this topic

I'm trying my best to interpret the rules of lockdown in the spirit with which they were intended. 

Regarding meeting other people, as far as I can tell the rules are that any household can meet one other household (inside or outside, in public or private) with a maximum of 5 adults (in this case over 14).

Myself and my wife have different opinions on what this means. 

Her opinion: that we could go and meet her parents, then on the way home we can drop in to see her Brother. 

My opinion: that we can only meet one other household, so we should pick the household and meet only them during this period. 

For me it makes no sense that you can effectively meet with as many households as you can cram into a day, as long as you do it one household at a time, to her, she thinks it makes no sense that you are allowed to go shopping and be around many people but not see your relatives. 

To me it all seems like people are deciding for themselves what the rules mean, which is what got us back into this mess and why we are in lockdown again. 

Your wife is technically correct (which we all know is the best kind of correct) and this has indeed been criticized by many politicians and public health officials.

You can try to counter with the argument that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If she insists, you'll have to decide whether it's worth the quarrel that's sure to follow. Does your BIL have a public-facing job?

8 minutes ago, DaringD said:

Her opinion: that we could go and meet her parents, then on the way home we can drop in to see her Brother. 

My opinion: that we can only meet one other household, so we should pick the household and meet only them during this period. 

Are you concerned in just not getting fined or doing your part to stop the pandemic? 

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-hochrangige-wissenschaftler-fordern-richtwert-von-maximal-zehn-neuinfektionen-fuer-europa-a-588598e8-7533-4193-b4cd-c9c01f7aeaf8

10 minutes ago, DaringD said:

For me it makes no sense that you can effectively meet with as many households as you can cram into a day, as long as you do it one household at a time, to her, she thinks it makes no sense that you are allowed to go shopping and be around many people but not see your relatives. 

Is your wife planning on wearing a mask while visiting her relatives? Does your wife spend hours in the grocery store?

23 minutes ago, DaringD said:

...it makes no sense that you are allowed to go shopping and be around many people but not see your relatives.

Ah, the spirit and the letter of the law... some people will never get that. Rules are only ever for other people, right?

If you fail to shop for the essentials you are going to go hungry and start smelling. Being around other people in those circs is unavoidable.

If you fail to see your relatives, it's heavy on the soul but secondary to the above IMO. It is avoidable.

If you want covid or want others to have it, go ahead and do whatever you like. Enjoy.

23 minutes ago, DaringD said:

, she thinks it makes no sense that you are allowed to go shopping and be around many people but not see your relatives. 

Firstly, I am more likely to hug and come within 2meters of a relative than some pleb in the supermarket....

In the supermarket, I will not be forced to take part in "Pass the infected grandchild"....  or other things that will further this lurgy... 

Lets cast our minds back to this time last year... "Phew, I am glad thats all over for another year"....   Well.. she could have made it 2 years!

Has anyone actually thought about Staying at home and saving lives?   Just a silly thought of mine...!

57 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Does your BIL have a public-facing job?

No. But his wife is a teacher - I would have thought she would have her concerns about protecting herself and so her students. but apparently not. 

56 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Are you concerned in just not getting fined or doing your part to stop the pandemic? 

Is your wife planning on wearing a mask while visiting her relatives?

I'm not at all concerned about getting caught, I'm concerned with doing what I can to prevent myself or anyone else from getting it and containing the spread. 

She is not planing in wearing a mask as far as I know. 

51 minutes ago, optimista said:

Rules are only ever for other people, right?

This is what I'm getting annoyed about. Too many people think that they have the right to bend, break or push rule to their absolute limit, often using arguments like "well its ok for me to sit in a doctor's waiting room so it's OK to sit around a table with friends" to justify themselves - to themselves, if that is to justify meeting a shit Ton of people, wear their mask on their chin in Aldi, or run about meeting as many people as possible, one at a time. 

2 hours ago, DaringD said:

No. But his wife is a teacher - I would have thought she would have her concerns about protecting herself and so her students. but apparently not. 

The role one's own actions play in a highly infectious global pandemic is difficult for many people to grasp. The loads of misinformation spread online (and insults hurled against those who take the situation seriously) - even by a selective few of our own esteemed forum members - certainly don't help matters.

Too many people think that they have the right to bend, break or push rule to their absolute limit

See above. You have my sympathies.

Stay safe.

22 minutes ago, DaringD said:

I'm concerned with doing what I can to prevent myself or anyone else from getting it and containing the spread. 

She is not planing in wearing a mask as far as I know. 

If you really want to do your part to hinder the spread of the pandemic stay at home. Have an an online virtual party with your inlaws. There is no urgent to visit them in person.

Get your wife to read some of the articles by respected medical experts or to listen to a few of Drosten's recent podcasts.

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-12/isabella-eckerle-virologin-coronavirus-weihnachten-schnelltests-neuinfektion

51 minutes ago, engelchen said:

If you really want to do your part to hinder the spread of the pandemic stay at home.

This is basically my take on it. I don't see why we need to go and visit anyone. I understand that it is nice to see relatives at Christmas, but I also understand that it's nice to know you are not risking catching a deadly virus from your In-laws, who you know play fast and loose with the rules anyway.  

My wife should know better than this, at the start she was one of the people who thought that their incredulity was good enough reason to doubt the official line.  The amount of times I heard he say something like "I just don't think this is any worse than the flu" to someone over the phone or even to me was not just disappointing but also concerning.

I have mental health issues, I'm severely depressed right now, nothing to do with Corona really, and it's exhausting to have to try and deal with other people's BS.

a year ago I had to contend with getting angry about people having opinions I didn't agree with but that were ultimately harmless, anger that I could look at and say "nah, being angry about this is needless and inappropriate" and then just moving on from it, but right now I only have to look out of my window to see neighbours talking in little huddles in the street, kids still playing together from various households, when the kindergarten was open you'd see gangs of smoking moms just down the road all having their morning catch ups with no masks (because they are smoking) and now this from my own wife.  The thing is that feeling angry about all of this is an entirely appropriate reaction because it all has real world consequences and is a very real danger to us all.

I've gone from avoiding confrontation to being the guy in the supermarket that simply shouts "ABSTAND!" at anyone who tries to push past or gets too close and "NASE!" at people who think they don't need to cover their nose with their mask, accompanied by a jabbed pointing finger.  The ironic thing is that as someone with mental health issues I'm acting exactly like a mad person as a result of my entirely appropriate and sane reaction to people who are putting others in danger.

I honestly cannot wait for this to be over.

"The ironic thing is that as someone with mental health issues I'm acting exactly like a mad person as a result of my entirely appropriate and sane reaction to people who are putting others in danger."

*slow clap*

1 hour ago, Metall said:

"The ironic thing is that as someone with mental health issues I'm acting exactly like a mad person as a result of my entirely appropriate and sane reaction to people who are putting others in danger."

*slow clap*

I've no idea if *slow clap* is sarcastic or genuine. 

Either way, the GIF of James Van Der Beek clapping slowly should always replace *slow clap* where ever it is found on the internet. 

Just read about Canadians trying to get home from the UK. Some had reached the end of their work contract, and flat lease, and desperate.

The idiot that stood out? He had taken a vacation to visit family in London for Christmas,

( despite Cdn advice against non essential travel), and now complaining that Canada is not organising mercy flights home.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

*slow clap*

Stay strong!

I've gone from avoiding confrontation to being the guy in the supermarket that simply shouts "ABSTAND!" at anyone who tries to push past or gets too close and "NASE!" at people who think they don't need to cover their nose with their mask, accompanied by a jabbed pointing finger.  The ironic thing is that as someone with mental health issues I'm acting exactly like a mad person as a result of my entirely appropriate and sane reaction to people who are putting others in danger.

If yelling at others to distance, or wear a mask properly, makes you a “madman,” then you have a lot of us for company in your madness :)  I have found myself doing this as well, especially toward the people who are deliberately violating the rules just to be provocative (and there seems to be more and more of those every day).

23 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

The idiot that stood out? He had taken a vacation to visit family in London for Christmas,

( despite Cdn advice against non essential travel), and now complaining that Canada is not organising mercy flights home.

IIRC governments around the world announced after the spring flights that if anyone travels against advice there would be no more flights. I hope he took out travel insurance in case he gets sick.

My wife should know better than this, at the start she was one of the people who thought that their incredulity was good enough reason to doubt the official line.  The amount of times I heard he say something like "I just don't think this is any worse than the flu" to someone over the phone or even to me was not just disappointing but also concerning.

Is your wife a rational person who is capable of analytical thinking? I could look up a few more articles for you, but it won't help if she is convinced she knows everything already.

but right now I only have to look out of my window to see neighbours talking in little huddles in the street, kids still playing together from various households, when the kindergarten was open you'd see gangs of smoking moms just down the road all having their morning catch ups with no masks (because they are smoking) and now this from my own wife.  The thing is that feeling angry about all of this is an entirely appropriate reaction because it all has real world consequences and is a very real danger to us all.

Because of the inconsiderate behaviour of some people, we are all suffering the consequences. I started driving to work mid March because of all the people in subway were driving me nuts. Although I hate driving in rush hour traffic through the city, there are some people on the subway who just made want to scream. I can totally understand your anger.

The ironic thing is that as someone with mental health issues I'm acting exactly like a mad person as a result of my entirely appropriate and sane reaction to people who are putting others in danger.

I can't think of any constructive advice to offer. If it helps you can come back here to vent your anger.

44 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I can't think of any constructive advice to offer. If it helps you can come back here to vent your anger.

I think sometimes it just helps to say something out loud, or write it publicly, just get it out. 

I think mostly I struggle to undsrstsnd the mentality of people who think it's not real. I've always been a militant, non conformist, rebellious, suspicious of authority type, like always.  But in my mind the idea that every government in the world could get their stories straight and work as one to trick us all into thinking there is a deadly virus just seems so simplistic, naive and unimaginative, that I just don't understand why anyone would buy into it.

2 minutes ago, DaringD said:

But in my mind the idea that every government in the world could get their stories straight and work as one to trick us all into thinking there is a deadly virus just seems so simplistic, naive and unimaginative, that I just don't understand why anyone would buy into it.

That's exactly what I've been saying.  Governments can't generally agree on the smallest of trade deals, yet they all agreed on how to deal with this, just to spite us!  It really doesn't make sense.

14 minutes ago, Tap said:

That's exactly what I've been saying.  Governments can't generally agree on the smallest of trade deals, yet they all agreed on how to deal with this, just to spite us!  It really doesn't make sense.

And when you think about it in more detail, it's not like one government is just the people currently running any given country, leadership changes, parties change members, heads of departments change, etc, so you would have to have everyone in on it, it seems impossible that just one country could keep its story straight, but 195 doing it? 

4 hours ago, Metall said:

*slow clap*

I've no idea if *slow clap* is sarcastic or genuine. 

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Stay strong!

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

If yelling at others to distance, or wear a mask properly, makes you a “madman,” then you have a lot of us for company in your madness :)  I have found myself doing this as well, especially toward the people who are deliberately violating the rules just to be provocative (and there seems to be more and more of those every day).

@DaringD: I'm being genuine! You summed up the madness of 2020 perfectly.

And yes, talk to us if it helps. You're not alone.