Grocery refund rules in German Supermarkets

71 posts in this topic

Our local Rewe does a fair amount of bagged liquid. I always feel uncomfortable and haven't ever bought it because I imagine it's going to burst on the way home. That thing about the containers is news to me. Do people take the container to the shop and put it straight in from the shelf? Or are you expected to transport it home safely and just use the container for storing it in the fridge?

We are H-milk all the way - with 4 kids I couldn't buy fresh milk often enough and so we always have the long life stuff. No chance of running out. Brilliant stuff.

Am not much of a cow milk snob myself as I never drink the stuff, the few times that I've run out of soy milk I've used husband's H-Milch and tasted a difference but wasn't bothered by it much.  I found alderhill's suggestion to "just buy a separate fridge" for fresh milk amusing on several levels :D I used to reach for cow milk sometimes for cooking, but found that there's no cake batter on earth that doesn't taste at least as good IMO with vegetarian milk, and as such haven't used it for years.

The bags are really stable, by the way.  To drink a bag of water you chew off the corner, and it takes no small amount of effort to get the thing ripped open, even with your sharpest teeth, and quite a bit of force!

56 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Do people take the container to the shop and put it straight in from the shelf? Or are you expected to transport it home safely and just use the container for storing it in the fridge?

You basically hope it doesn't burst until you get home :).  I actually don't understand why they don't use carton as packaging material, because this is so much better for handling from a logistics point of view throughout the whole supply chain.

21 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You basically hope it doesn't burst until you get home :).  I actually don't understand why they don't use carton as packaging material, because this is so much better for handling from a logistics point of view throughout the whole supply chain.

Possibly because they are harder to recycle, take up more space and are heavier.

OK, so the bags are not as flimsy as I imagine then :) which does of course make sense. I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to use them myself though :lol:

9 minutes ago, kiplette said:

OK, so the bags are not as flimsy as I imagine then :) which does of course make sense. I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to use them myself though :lol:

I've never seen them. They sound ideal for people who use a milk jug in the fridge or who don't have easy access to recycling facilities etc. Since cartons and plastic bottles can be dumped in the yellow sacks around here, not really an issue.

I bought organic meat today at Lidl and noticed after getting home that it expires today. Aren’t they supposed to sell it at a reduced price or does that only happen towards the end of the day?

Do not think they have to reduce the price, but they usually do because they would prefer to sell it cheap than throw it out.  Still freezable (as long as fresh,  not previously frozen) if you do not want it tonight. 

25 minutes ago, Santitas said:

Aren’t they supposed to sell it at a reduced price or does that only happen towards the end of the day?

No obligation to reduce anything. If there aren't enough staff in the branch then they won't have time and it will be trashed once noticed.

2 hours ago, Santitas said:

I bought organic meat today at Lidl and noticed after getting home that it expires today. Aren’t they supposed to sell it at a reduced price or does that only happen towards the end of the day?

I too got fish yesterday at our neighbourhood BioMarket and it was marked down 50% as it was the last day. Turns out it was done on the morning of the last day.

This is a fascinating thread. I am woefully not knowledgable enough to really take part but please, more milk in cans, bears in Yosemite and adventures in central America