The last minute Brexit deal

5 posts in this topic

As a distraction from all things Christmas I was interested to take a peek at the UK/EU agreement - yeah, I know I'm sad!

Anyway, while the main thrust of the Christmas Eve deal (in principle) is trade and fisheries it also includes some other important agreements in the area of social security coordination, which will be of interest to those on this forum, among others.   

On reading the 34 page summary on GOV.UK ( TCA_SUMMARY_PDF.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk) (written from the perspective of the UK) it seems that pension arrangements for those arriving in the EU after 31 December 2020 (not falling with in the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement (WA)) will be broadly the same as for those who fall within the WA.  This includes pension uprating for UK residents who retire to an EU MS.  What is good for the UK is, I assume, good for those based in the EU but that will be clear when reading the full 1,800 pages...

Also, something akin to the EHIC will be introduced to provide health cover for holidays etc.

For once, something positive for the ordinary citizen...

Read the whole thing now (you wish)  EU-UK_Trade_and_Cooperation_Agreement_24.12.2020.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk). Well, scanned the social security stuff. 

Main point that jumps out (if i have read the annex correctly) is that the social security provisions are time-limited to 15 year and that one of the parties must request negotiations over the way forward (which presumably will happen).  Rights accrued during that 15 years are protected as far as I can see.  Whether people planning on moving from the UK to the EU or vice versa will take note of this and/or be put off remains to be seen...  Just glad I am within the Withdrawal Agreement.

Thanks for the link Gary. I am particularly interested in the  "freedom of movement of capital" - since that was  "fourth pillar" of the EU. I was worried that the Brexit deal could affect how much cash can be brought into Germany... as far as I can tell, based on your link - that does not seem to have been affected.

I assume you are looking at Title II and IV?  But do they relate to personal freedom of movement of capital, or to such movement as part of trading transaction?  I am not sure, given that those titles are in the section about trade.  Others may have a view but I think we may have to wait and see on that point