Car Lease/Finance Advice Needed

18 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I have been trying to find information related to this topic but did not see it discussed in any of the threads.

I am looking to finance or lease a car ASAP as I am living in the country side & cannot get around without a vehicle (currently residing in Marquartstein). The problem I am facing has to do with the validity period of my Aufenthaltstitel. 

I have been trying to finance or lease a car since I first arrived in the Chiemsee area (January 2020), however, my first Aufenthaltstitel issued had an expiry date of February 2021 (linked to my Passport expiry date). I was turned down by all dealerships because the shortest term had to be 24 months.

I have just renewed my permit & received my new Aufenthaltstitel. Although it is valid for just over 2 years right now, the delivery time of any new car is anywhere between 3-5 months & this will prevent me from signing a full 2 year term (Permit Expiry Date: 21/1/2023).

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to secure a lease for 12 months or 18 months? Are there any additional options that I should consider?

Your input is very much appreciated.

Been saving up for this scenario but unfortunately I do not have enough money currently to purchase a car with cash.

Thanks Robinson. Last resort is to buy a really old car with lots of mileage but I would prefer not to do that right away as I want to avoid having to get the car constantly repaired (moreover, navigating that won't be easy as I a still a beginner in German).

1 minute ago, HeshamH said:

In the range of 10-12K

Holy shit, that’s plenty. For that price range you can buy a 2 years old car with less than 50,000 km, and it won’t be a Dacia either. Forget about leasing a BMW and go buy an used car. I’d spend less than €10,000 and save the remainder 2 or 4 thousand.

1 hour ago, HeshamH said:

Last resort is to buy a really old car with lots of mileage but I would prefer not to do that right away as I want to avoid having to get the car constantly repaired (moreover, navigating that won't be easy as I a still a beginner in German).

Almost 2 years ago I bought a used car that was first registered in 2004. It belonged to an older woman who'd just used it for local shopping and she took good care of it. I'm very happy with my car and have not spent that much on repairs. Just because a car is older doesn't automatically mean that it needs constant repairs.

The most important part of buying a used car is to have someone you trust take a look at it if you don't know enough to check it out yourself. IIRC the ADAC also offers this service for a fee.

13 hours ago, HeshamH said:

In the range of 10-12K

You can get a pretty good car in this range. I don't know what type of car are you interested in. I would suggest you not to buy a diesel because of all the bans etc. You can search for the following starting from 2012 onwards plus upto 60K km's...

Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Hyundai i10, Skoda Superb, Ford Focus, Seat Leon, Qashaqai

My Dad bought a car many years ago. I loved it because it was so f*cked. A yellow Vauxhall that smelled of curry when he turned on the heating.  He bought it because the salesman said his sister was just about to buy it but couldn't find the money. A bargain he said. I loved and still love my Dad although he is long gone but he was so trustworthy of people which I respect but  sometimes... Oh Dad.  He bought a fecking Lada after that hehe. He should have been locked up.  Merry Christmas everyone and hey let's  be nicer to each other next year. Hugs to the nice people on here.

That is plenty to get a decent second hand car and have a good amount stashed in savings ready for when you get to buy a better one. I live in the country and had very little to get a car with so bought a small tatty one for 1000€ that had 2 years tuv. I had it serviced and other than the usual oil changes, tyres, a couple of light bulbs, a (secondhand) alternator and a fan belt it kept going for 9 years! Not all older cars are money pits and not all newer cars run without problems. I am not suggesting you spend the same as I did but look around and you will easily find something very nice for a lot less than your budget. 

There are very different tastes among people. For some a car is very personal , let's say like an underwear. No one wears an used underwear ,or?

And for some, driving pleasure is very very important. So it is either pleasurable driving or no driving

I realised that recently, before that I thought that those who brand new, or upper segment cars are show offs and or advertisement victims

No one knows op, may be likes to get to places in a 'proper' car. Otherwise for 12k he could get not 1 but 3 cars similar to my toyota

Christmas wishes to all

I’m all for splurging €50,000 on a new car when you have a net worth of a couple million euro. I love technology and I enjoy sportive driving, so I can relate to wanting a nice car. However, driving a €50,000 car (purchase price, the value drops afterward like a stone) when your net worth is a fraction of that belongs in my own definition of insanity. I realize some people don’t seem to mind working their whole lives to pay someone else and afterward retire poor, but it doesn’t need to be encouraged.

Himself bought his first new car when he was 59 for about 35k 10 yrs. ago. We're still driving it and, unless we decide to go EV, hope to drive it 10 more years. I wonder how many clunkers we would have bought in that amount of time and all the repairs and headaches.

I bought my first car when I was 21 and drove it for 16 yrs. 

Been driving the same car since 1997.  I do not want to get a new one - all the electronics and driver so-called assist, no thanks!

I will buy my next car with all possible assists related to parking. Sometimes I have to take a bus to get to the place where my wife could find a space where she can park comfortably. 

It took me almost 7 years until I get almost perfect judgement while parking without any sensors. Now it is time to sell that car due to space restrictions. So it makes sense to buy one with a reverse camera, i think.