The Wonderful World of TK Back Payments

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, hope we are all well.

For most of 2020, my wife and I have been going back and forth with TK (Techniker Krankenkasse) about a huge amount of back pay my wife owes (around 8K).

A little context:

We both arrived here at the very start of 2014. We made some pocket change here and there (I did some consulting for a local clothing store and my wife DJ'd a few hotel bars). We made nothing even remotely substantial  until I got full time employment in June 2014. 

Since it was a full time contract, I received health insurance and asked for my wife to be covered in my family plan, since 1, she is my wife and 2, she still was picking up DJing jobs but nothing I would even call part time work. Most of the time she would be considered a housewife. 

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm still working full time after being out of work for 6 months in 2016, and my wife is still picking up DJing work, some of it now paying a lot more than before but she still had long periods of earning nothing for months at a time. She wasn't even in the country some  months due to family commitments back home.  

Now in 2020 we are still trying to get a straight answer from TK. Many of the phone calls lead nowhere and its my honest feeling that they say whatever they can mange in English, with it not always being the same as what the last person said. I'm not here to criticize TK as we are very happy with the service, it's only that with this amount of money on the table, we need to be sure what we are (back) paying for. 

We are both very proud to be here in Berlin and have zero issue paying our taxes and any bill that we must. It just that we can't hand over 8 grand without some kind of explanation as to why its got to this point after 7 years of radio silence from TK. The only mail we ever got from them is promotional material. 

So, to bring that post to a close, are they any independent health experts that we can speak to? If it is 8K we own, then so be it. We just really need someone to sit with us and show us where this money is going. 

Any leads would be amazing and Merry Christmas!

Hi, are you saying the TK has not given a detailed calculation for the back payments? Doesn't sound right to me.

Have you paid anything to them since 2014?

Some details missing before giving sensible advice on path forward...

Do you have a steuerberater?  If not, you may want to talk to pandamunich.  There is a thing if you are independent making more than x amount of money, you need to pay for your own insurance with 15% of your salary and can not be insured under your spouse.  That is probably what happened.  Further, if TK does not have your wife's tax info to see how much she was making to figure out what she owes, they will just estimate that she was making some fairly high amount of money.  AOK does the same thing and probably the rest of them too.  Your steuerberater should be able to help you figure this out and talk to TK on your behalf.  If you really owe 8000, you can make a payment plan.

Hello All,

Thanks for replying so stift. 

So more information for you:

1, Since 2018 (when we find out that my wife had to pay herself) we paid around 200 euros and never missed a month

2,at the start of 2019, we paid them 3k as they told us this was the first part of the back pay

3, We haven't submitted tax since 2018, which, as it happens, I'm taking with Tax Panda about already! 

How all,

Tax Panda is too busy to help me unfortunately. Does have anyone have any leads for English Speaking tax / health insurance experts that can help in this instance? 

If there is a deadline which you can´t meet before getting proper advice I´d suggest to tell them in writing that you´re paying under reservation and without acknowledging a legal obligation ("Zahlung unter Rückforderungsvorbehalt und ohne Rechtspflichtanerkennung"). That way you keep the option to claim back whatever may turn out to have been an overpayment.