Holiday destinations that are not risk areas

40 posts in this topic

Heathrow.

God, no.

I once had a connecting flight to catch within an hour at Heathrow, and had just wound up on crutches shortly before. That's when I found out Heathrow was a huge, chaotic, poorly mapped multistory affair. I desperately hobbled off trying to reach a gate that took easily 40 minutes to reach (and go through security) as an able bodied person... airport personnel took pity on me, loaded me on a constantly beeping luggage truck, and got me to security and on the plane with five minutes to spare.

Never again.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

That's when I found out Heathrow was a huge, chaotic

The most consistently chaotic airport experience that I have had, is Terminal 2 of FRA.

Whilst T1 is perfectly fine, T2 seems designed to punish people for not flying Lufthansa / Star Alliance.  The chaos comes largely because the security point is not at the transit point between the ground side departure area and the airside departure area, but instead there are what I can best describe as mini security points between airside departure area and the boarding gates, and they are operated by the slowest security staff that I have ever seen. I've even had the bizarre experience of the boarding gates opening up before the designated security point for those gates had opened to (it was for a flight to LCY in an Embraer).  Basically each security scanning point only connects to 2-4 specific boarding gates. 

Oh, and another FRA "feature" - because the taxing to the runway can take what seems like forever, if you are on a remote stand and need to get a bus from the gate to the plane, the boarding time - or rather, the time to go through the gate and in to the bus, can be more than an hour before takeoff sometimes.

FRA T2 really is chaotic!

What I would say about LHR @Metall and @fraufruit is that if your connecting flight is in the same terminal, then LHR can be quite a nice airport. Maybe I am a bit biased being from London, but I like LHR T5, and also T2A is quite nice as well (it's not so good if you have to go from T2A to T2B because that is a very, very long walk).  It's been long suggested that American Airlines will take over T5C, so that transitions from BA European flights to transatlantic AA codeshares will happen in the same terminal, which would make life easier.  

I would definitely say though that having to change terminals to get a connection at LHR is a total ballache, and I say that as someone who knows their way around LHR, the tube stations, and the Heathrow Express. Transitioning between terminals, and having to wait for buses or trains, does take ages. Most large airports are a pain for this though - I've heard horror stories from CDG and MAD when it comes to having to getting a connection in another terminal. Even transitioning from Schengen to non-Schengen (or vice versa) at BRU tends to take at least 45 minutes and that is in the same bloody building!!

7 hours ago, Metall said:

Heathrow.

God, no.

I once had a connecting flight to catch within an hour at Heathrow, and had just wound up on crutches shortly before. That's when I found out Heathrow was a huge, chaotic, poorly mapped multistory affair. I desperately hobbled off trying to reach a gate that took easily 40 minutes to reach (and go through security) as an able bodied person... airport personnel took pity on me, loaded me on a constantly beeping luggage truck, and got me to security and on the plane with five minutes to spare.

Never again.

- you do realise that airports offer assistance to invalids, don`t you?

As for risk-free holiday destinations, well, I have heard that Balkonia is relatively safe at this time of year ;)

10 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

So, should your partner die on the trip, taking the remains home will not cost you anything.

Well that swings it then...

Over to you, Dessa.

4 hours ago, robinson100 said:

- you do realise that airports offer assistance to invalids, don`t you?

This was a long time ago - I was overwhelmed by the family reason for the flight and not well informed. ;)

8 hours ago, robinson100 said:

As for risk-free holiday destinations, well, I have heard that Balkonia is relatively safe at this time of year ;)

Balkonia is too cold (and I don't have one). I'd recommend bubbles and Tubia.

16 hours ago, Metall said:

Heathrow.

God, no.

The only time I flew via Heathrow was the only time my luggage did not make it on an outward journey to the US. About 15 years ago...

Destination was probably Denver so the route will have been HAM=>LHR the LHR=>ORD & then onto DEN.

The Lufthansa flight was on time to London; I only just made the connection to the United flight myself (security did not cause such bad delays back then) but on arrival in Chicago no luggage.  It was delivered to my hotel in Broomfield (north of DEN) 24 hours later.

A problem was that flights via LHR were usually a few Euros cheaper than via FRA or MUC.  Luckily all of my managers

(including US ones) had had bad experiences at Heathrow & so I got my flights via Frankfurt (& in later years with Lufthansa).

We have Terasseloniki rather than Balkonia but its still cold & full of the seed shells that the birds (& red squirrel) scatter from the daily offerings at the bird house.

(Dreams of Ibiza)...

I’ve heard Crete is quite nice this time of the year. A poor 15-16 C aber immerhin...

( The earthquakes can be cute if you’re feeling bored.)

On 19.12.2020, 23:36:56, AnswerToLife42 said:

One information I just read on the Air France site, you can also take a urn into the cabin.

And?

What does a French urn ?

About €2500 pcm on average.

I'll get my flying hat.

To whom it might concern:

Additional New Measures effective as of Mid-March 2021 onwards

Once the majority of the adult population in Seychelles have been vaccinated, Seychelles will be open to all visitors from any part of the world whether they have been vaccinated or not. However they must still have a negative PCR test taken less than 72 hours prior to travel.

On 19/12/2020, 14:01:24, AnswerToLife42 said:

From next spring on I have enough time. I don't plan to sit at home doing Sudokos. My life span is limited.

What part of "avoid unnecessary travel", as advised by the RKI and Spahn, did you not understand? Let me explain: it means you should avoid unnecessary travel.

On 19/12/2020, 21:39:53, john g. said:

And then I had a ciggie next to a no smoking sign and a cop said nothing!

That reminds me of a flight (back in the nineties) with Pakistan Airlines. I had complained to the stewardess that there was a guy smoking in the non-smoker section. At least she listened. Then she took off the no-smoking label above his seat.