Holiday destinations that are not risk areas

40 posts in this topic

Just read today that from the 20th the Canary Islands are on the list of risk areas again -> 2 weeks quarantine.

The good new Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin and Reunion were taken off the list!!

You only need a Covid test not older than 72h.

I hope, I can convince my wife.

40 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Just read today that from the 20th the Canary Islands are on the list of risk areas again -> 2 weeks quarantine.

The good new Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin and Reunion were taken off the list!!

You only need a Covid test not older than 72h.

I hope, I can convince my wife.

It is not the destinations that worry me, but the  air travel!

Countries, cities and states go on the list and off the list and back on the list in a heartbeat. I'd also be afraid of being stuck somewhere. Even if nice, it could get very expensive.

I just returned from the Seychelles. 15hrs with FFP-2 masks, no problem.

The good thing is the people in the plane are all tested. Not a garantee, but safer then trains, shops etc.

What's so bad of being stuck on a tropical island? I would prefer that to Munich.

Why should it get very expensive? Only if you need 5 star hotels.

6 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Why should it get very expensive? Only if you need 5 star hotels.

And if you are in a 3 star €200 per day hotel? Plus restaurants, etc.? For a month or more?

I just saw today that over 29,000 Australian tourists can't get back to Australia for the last few weeks.

So, you just returned from holidays and want to leave again? You must be needy. It's actually quite warm in Munich, especially in the sun :).

My ex-colleague was stuck in New Zealand for 2 months, because they shut down the airport earlier this year. He had to rent an Airbnb for his family.

Not sure needy is the word I would use. Struggling to find the right one though...

Corona survivor here (and I know people who it finished off or are maimed by it). So forgive me for asking why do people insist they have to have holidays ? And Xmas ? And New Year ?

Yeah, helping the economy. Carrying on regardless. Right.

Any other insight?

The title of this thread contains a distinct irony, cos if people flood to these no-risk areas in their droves, guess what will happen...

Safe place for a holiday?

My back garden here in Schleswig-Holstein.

Sorry if the high fence, wolves as guard dogs and burly, covid-tested security teams who live on site, put you off...

But then the question was about no risk destinations. Can't  see us going anywhere else in the near future.

St Martin may be off the risk list for today, so quarantine free on return.

But if Germany is on their risk list, your holiday on the island is spent in your room.

German Foreign Office:

"Travellers to Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin, St. Barthélemy and La Réunion must present a negative PCR test result not older than 72 hours and a self-declaration of freedom from symptoms upon departure. Otherwise, the journey cannot be started. There is currently no obligation to comply with a quarantine after entry; in some cases, the French authorities recommend that a second test be carried out seven days after entry and that special care be taken to comply with distance rules during the first week of stay."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Before Covid you had to change the airport in Paris when flying from Frankfurt to Fort-de-France.

Now also the plane to Martinique leaves from CDG. No need to change airports.

13 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

So, you just returned from holidays and want to leave again? You must be needy. It's actually quite warm in Munich, especially in the sun :).

Yes, because I like warm countries and not "quite warm" cities. The water has to be 28°C.

From next spring on I have enough time. I don't plan to sit at home doing Sudokos. My life span is limited.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Not sure needy is the word I would use. Struggling to find the right one though...

Bragger perhaps.

23 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

The water has to be 28°C.

Then take a bath.

From next spring on I have enough time. I don't plan to sit at home doing Sudokos.

sounds like Kurzarbeit 

My life span is limited.

You could of added brain span in as well that sentence.

Corona knows no time or place!

48 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

German Foreign Office:

"Travellers to Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin, St. Barthélemy and La Réunion must present a negative PCR test result not older than 72 hours and a self-declaration of freedom from symptoms upon departure. Otherwise, the journey cannot be started. There is currently no obligation to comply with a quarantine after entry; in some cases, the French authorities recommend that a second test be carried out seven days after entry and that special care be taken to comply with distance rules during the first week of stay."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Before Covid you had to change the airport in Paris when flying from Frankfurt to Fort-de-France.

Now also the plane to Martinique leaves from CDG. No need to change airports.

Yes, because I like warm countries and not "quite warm" cities. The water has to be 28°C.

From next spring on I have enough time. I don't plan to sit at home doing Sudokos. My life span is limited.

I am interested to go to these place as well, please me how you plan your trip, you book flights, hotels separately ?, you book a car there, you use booking.com/airbnb

Maybe to detailed here, maybe send me a PM please, so I have travelled a lot to warmer counties, mainly in Asia, also to Mauritius/ Maldives / dom rep, all +28 deg seas and great for diving, by the way why not Egypt, +30 deg seas and lots of things to see and not so far, but above the surface it does not look so nice, except for history stuff

Hello yesterday, what I would do is, book a flight with Air France 600€, rental car 40€/day. I would recommend this hotel: Hotel Corail Residence Sainte-Luce 1000€/per week, however, since I am a fan of Sainte Anne I would take an apartment there (starting 500€/week). I like to go to French bakeries and get fresh bread for breakfast. The roads are in good condition. If you have non-screaming passengers in your car, I would recommend a car with a little more power since the island is quite mountainous and driving is more fun than..

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

book a flight with Air France 600€,

You really want to transit through Paris Charles de Gaulle?

Thats the First Rule in transatlantic flights (not to do that).

I did it once - on my first visit to the US when the company booked me to SFO & back via CGD.  4 hour wait on the return connection.

An ex-colleague & family recently flew to the Caribean with AF via CDG & failed to make the connection within CDG itself!  Had to stay overnight & continue the next day.

Personally I'd have grave misgivings flying with AF - they have crashed too many in recent years due to pilot error (e.g. AF358 in Toronto & AF 447 over the Atlantic)..

CDG is the most horrendous, inefficient, and messed up airport in the world! I have sworn to avoid it at all costs!

I went through    Paris Charles de Gaulle on the way back from  Mauritius, we had 1 hour in that airport, it almost the hour to get between the terminals, thats the worst connection we ever had.

I once boarded a double decker AF Paris-Atlanta flight at CDG where they opened boarding to everyone at the same time, front, back, up, and down.  🤦‍♀️  There was also no sign indicating the turn off for people who needed to go upstairs for seating. Biggest boarding disaster I’ve ever encountered. 

Oh no... I will get into trouble again soon because I remember...😂

I used to be a chain smoker and then smoking was forbidden on flights and then I was between flights at that airport - and by then smoking inside airports was forbidden.

And then I had a ciggie next to a no smoking sign and a cop said nothing!

And I remember shouting “ vive la France!”😂

I think we changed planes at CDG 4 or 5 times. The travel agency warned us, not to check our luggage through (Madagascar?, Reunion?, i don't remember)

We retrieved our luggage at CDG and checked it in again. No problem. Some people in our group checked their luggage through and had to wear their clothes for a week.

On the two return trips of the four suitcases only one arrived at Frankfurt, so we only had one which we had to transport home. The other three were brought to us some days later by Air France. Less hassle.

I second Metal, CDG is a very bad airport, however, if you want to fly to some French islands you have to use it.

The weight limit for hand luggage to the Carribean from France is 12kg. Since it's warm there that should be enough luggage.

One information I just read on the Air France site, you can also take a urn into the cabin.

So, should your partner die on the trip, taking the remains home will not cost you anything.