Posting a used phone to the UK... import duty?

3 posts in this topic

I recently bought a new phone, so I'd like to give my old one to my dad.

The problem is that he lives in the UK and I live in Germany, and I'm worried about import duty. I actually bought the phone when I still lived in the UK (about 4 years ago), so I have already paid UK VAT on it... but I expect that doesn't count for much in the eyes of the customs officials, should they decide to get involved.

Anyway, my question is... If I post the phone to my dad in the UK (after Brexit), would I or my dad have to pay import duty on it? If so, how can I avoid that?

As far as I can tell, there is a limit on the value of duty-free imports of gifts (£45?)... but how do you value an old phone? It seems rather ridiculous that I would have to pay to gift an old phone to a family member in the UK, which was originally bought in the UK anyway.

1 hour ago, AberMiranda said:

If I post the phone to my dad in the UK (after Brexit), would I or my dad have to pay import duty on it?

The idiots haven't decided yet. It depends on what post-brexit 'deal' is agreed.

In reality I suspect if you put it in a box and stick it in the post with a value of €40 then it would probably go through fine.

1 hour ago, AberMiranda said:

how do you value an old phone?

You could reasonably go here:- https://www.mazumamobile.com/sell-my-mobile

Get a quote for it and use that as the basis for your 'valuation'.